Search

A Senic Route from Kenner to Natchez?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Wm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Senic Route from Kenner to Natchez?

We will be driving mid-week from Kenner to Natchez. We enjoy exploring the countryside when driving rather than taking a freeway. We don't mind 5 hours on the road if the scenery is worth it. That being the case, could you suggest an route from Kenner to Natchez? Is it worth the time to drive along the Mississippi?
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 10:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, I think it is. You will be going by some industrial type places such as refineries, periodically, but otherwise fine and there are the spots such as Oak Alley which you may wish to stop and visit.
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Wm
Original Poster

Dukey1, we have visited Oak Alley and a couple of other plantations in the area on a previous trip. Really wanted to see some of the country rather than speeding down a freeway. Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 05:01 PM

I don't mean to be rude, but have you looked at a map? Hwy 61 between Baton Roughe and Natchez or Rte 1 and then 15 are your only options. Whether they are scenic is all in the eye of the beholder. The only other option is 33, which doesn't look like much. There are no freeways between NO and Natchez.
You're in bumf%%ck. There is nothing "scenic" down there. It's a mystery why travelling to the armpit of the enire country has become such a fetish among people on this forum.
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 05:18 PM

Whew! I'm glad you didn't want to be rude! Natchez is one of my favorite places!
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Wm
Original Poster

Gracious Mr. Weimarer, if I new all the answers, I wouldn't be asking questions on this forum! If you can't be positive and polite, I would rather not receive your "advise," thank you very much.
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 06:47 AM

Sorry, Wm, that I didn't answer your actual question. It's been years, but we took the River Road south from Mississippi to NO. It wasn't necessarily scenic the entire way, but DH LOVES the river (bartended on the Delta Queen steamboat right out of college for a couple of years) and we enjoyed the drive. Don't know if this might help: http://www.roadtripusa.com/routes/gr...reatriver.html
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Wm
Original Poster

bellhouse, great article--just what we were looking for! Thanks!!

A few years ago we drove from NO to Lafayette. We spent a few days in the area driving from one attraction to another. We were amazed by the wildlife, beautiful bayous, prosperous farms, charming small towns, etc. Never guessed Cajun Country/Louisiana was so pretty.
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 10:22 AM

Glad it helped! We lived in Jackson MS for 5 years and, as we told lots of people, one of the best thing about living there was being close to Louisiana and New Orleans. My dear in-laws would come down and babysit while we would take a quick getaway weekend - always south. Not that we didn't like Mississippi - we did - but just to go south and see new things and enjoy, as you said, the history, the small towns, the landscape in general. To be fair - we also went to Tupelo (where my mom was born) and visited relatives - and liked that, too. I'll never forget one trip to the Delta - cotton was being harvested - lots of people would probably think it boring, but we thoroughly enjoyed it - it was just so different.