Most scenic routes in Virginia help.

Aug 1st, 2009, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Most scenic routes in Virginia help.

We are traveling from Charlottesville to Luray for 2 nights,
then Luray to Lexington for 2 nights,
then Lexington to Virginia Beach.
My husband and I are spending 2 weeks in Virginia, first time there.

The map gives so MANY options.
We will be driving the Skyline, and the Blue Ridge,
But was wondering if anyone knew of any scenic roads
we shouldn't miss verses the fastest way between these
cities. I have lots planned in each city and within 15 miles
of each of these cities, but can't figure out the best
route between them. ANY help would be apreciated.
Thank you SOOOO much.
Aug 1st, 2009, 02:52 PM

If you have to decide between spending more time driving the Skyline or Blue Ridge, I would recommend spending more time on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I drove both last year, and IMHO the Blue Ridge Parkway is more beautiful than the Skyline. My favorite places to see along your route were: Monticello, Williamsburg Historic Town, James Town. Taking roads through small town areas as opposed to the more populated areas in VA offers you beautiful scenery wherever you go.
Aug 3rd, 2009, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

I should get more specific:

From Lexington to Virginia Beach, should I go 60 or 460.

From Charlottesville to Luray, (saving the Skyline for later)
should I go 11 or 231?

We want the most scenic route, or things to see on the way.

Thank you Monterybob, I agree on small towns, they give you the true feel of the state, and the people.
Aug 11th, 2009, 05:33 AM

I'm a little late on this ehovis, but from Lexington, yes, take Rte 60 over the mountains, but insetad of continuing, head north a bit on 29 and then get on Rte 6 and take this all the way to Richmond-very nice route. Skirt around Richmond, then take Rte 5 down to Willamsburg-this passes by where all the James River Plantations are if you want to stop at one or two of those. 460 is not really a great route, so don't take that one.

C'ville to Luray Rte 20-231-211. 231 is a really nice Piedmont route. You could stop at Montpelier if you have time and right near there is the Green Springs National Historic District, a small patch of farms and 18th century farmhouses and manors. You could just cruise around it in half an hour or so and take a look.

BTW, route 250 over the mountains into WVA is nice. If you can make it out to Highland County, go there as well. This area is called Virginia's Little Switzerland due to all the high elevation (for Virginia at least) pastureland in the valleys between the ridges. It's quite beautiful.

I live in VA and have been all over, so feel free to ask any more specific questions. Don't know Williamsburg and Jamestown well though. Been a long time since I've been to either. Unless you've already left...
Aug 11th, 2009, 11:00 AM

weimarer gave you great advice. You can also order a scenic byways map: http://virginiadot.org/programs/prog-byways.asp

weimarer, welcome to Fodors. There are quite a few Virginians here. I hope you don't mind if I ask you where in VA you are?
Aug 11th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Dear Weimarer, THANK YOU! This is the information I've been checking back every day hoping to get. I can't thank you enough. We will follow it to the letter. ehovis
Aug 11th, 2009, 05:11 PM

Hey, ehovis, no problem! Virginia ia a beautiful state. Definitely try to get over the mountains into WV. It's gorgeous there as well. Much of the mountains are National Forest, so you might want to browse thru the US Forest Service site for VA and WVA as well.

Birdie, I live in Alexandria. Lived overseas when I was young, but went to UVA and am Virginian all the way!
Aug 13th, 2009, 05:22 PM

Wahoowa weimarer! I'm a fellow hoo and Virginian.