Train from Munich airport to Seefeld in Tirol, Austria

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2009, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband, our small daughter & myself will shortly be flying to Munich airport from where we will be travelling by train to our holiday destination of Seefeld in Tirol, Austria. We read about the Bayern Card but are a little confused. Can anyone help with the following questions:

- Can the Bayern Card be purchased online in advance or only at the train station?
- Do we need to reserve seats on our trains, if so how?
- Will it cover the part of travel into Austria or do we have to pay extra?
- Can a Bayern Card be purchased for the return journey - Seefeld in Tirol to Munich?

any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Jad73
Old May 22nd, 2009, 03:18 PM

The best place to buy the Bayernkarte is right in the Munich airport, at the S-BNahn train station. You and your family (up to 5 people) can travel on one ticket from Munich airport to Mittenwald on the Bayernkarte. for EUR28. I am fairly sure that it does not include Seefel/Tirol. Check at the ticket counter; you can buy at the airport a ticket from Mittenwald (last stop in Bavaria) to Seefeld.

The Bayernkarte is good on weedays from 9AM until 3AM the next day; on weekends it starts earlier. You can travel only on Regio-type trains. But that doesn't matter, because that's all the types of trains that are running between Munich and Seefeld. The trains go via Garmisch-Partenkirchen. The trip takes about 3 hours. For some trains you have to change only at Munich Hauptbahnhof (coming from the airport), on others you have to change also in Garmisch.

You cannot reserve seats on Regio trains, or travel 1st class on the Bayernkarte. But going toward Seefeld that is no problem, because the Garmisch or Seefeld (Innsbruck) trains originate at the Munich station.

Coming back , I believe you cannot buy a Bayernkarte in Seefeld. You would have to buy it in Garmisch.

Now, take a look at www.bahn.de for train schedules and costs. You will see that for the three of you aregular round trip ticket costs 150 EUR round trip, if your daughter is over 5 years old, less if she is under 5. In the grand scheme of vacation expenses, you may just wish to decide to pay the extra EUr 100 and not worry about Bayernkarte, other tickets, etc. In any event, I would buy any tickets in Munich after arrival at the airport.
Old May 26th, 2009, 09:14 AM

Buy your tickets at the Munich Airport. Go to the Deutsche Bahn travel desk and tell them what you need. This might be a better way to go if you are not familiar with the ticket machine. The Bayern Ticket is date-specific. The date you choose is imprinted on the ticket to be used on that day. So,if you know the date of your return from Seefeld in Tirol, you can purchase that ticket when you buy the outbound ticket.

The Bayern ticket is valid only to Mittenwald, the last stop in Germany. The conductor will issue you a ticket for the Austrian segment to Seefeld. This ticket is governed by the VVT (Verkehrs Verbund Tirol). The austrian ticket should only cost a few Euros.

All trains for your trip are 2nd Class (S-Bahn & Regional), so you won't have to reserve your seats.
Old May 29th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies with very useful information.