Self Guided 8 days in Switzerland

Old Aug 3rd, 2014, 11:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Self Guided 8 days in Switzerland

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and seeking some suggestions for the itinerary/route plan in Switzerland for 8 days in coming late Nov 2014 with my family in 4, all adults.

We will travel from London (or anywhere near Kent, UK). I have no idea where I should start and how long I should stay for a place at all. What I wanna do is enjoying the mountains (Jungfrau?) and countryside, nature of Switzerland. No skiing though.

Is the Swiffpass a MUST item for travelling?
Any 'hotels' like travelodge in Switerland please? But I want all of us could stay in 1 room though.

Please give me some route plan for reference and all advice are welcome

Thank you very much!
Old Aug 3rd, 2014, 11:43 PM

Hi kookypooky,

How/where are you leaving the country? Is it out of Zürich?

With 8 days (7 nights), you should probably plan for only two destinations, plus your last night near the airport.

I'll also say that November isn't a great time for the Alps -- most of the snow hasn't arrived yet, and you're likely to get more rain and damp days. The countryside might be more muddy than snowy. For that reason, you may want to stay in the flats and make an excursion up to the mountaintops if/when clear weather comes in. For that plan, you could stay in Bern, Spiez, or Thun -- the last two on Lake Thun. You could plan for three or four nights there, then two or three nights in Luzern on Lake Lucerne.

Also, you should know that many hotels charge by the person, not by the room, so you won't be saving a lot by trying to cram everyone into one room. In addition, hotel rooms in Switzerland and very, very small, so you would have to get a big family room or a suite to fit everyone in, and again that's expensive.

Once you decide on your destinations, we can help you find suitable accommodation -- and it's best if you give us a specific figure for your price preference.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Aug 3rd, 2014, 11:44 PM

"if/when clear weather comes in." should read "if/when the weather clears up." Ought to be more awake when I post. Sorry.

s
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 12:22 AM
Original Poster

Hi Swandav2000

Thanks for you prompt reply!

Sad to hear that late Nov (the traveling time should be between 22/11 to 30 or 31/11) is not the great time for Alps. But It's the only time I can travel with my family :/

I am thinking of purchasing return ticket with Easyjet from Gatwick, london to Zunich.

Maienfeld or Graubünden?.. - is the place I definitely want to put in the route plan. Just trying to fulfill mum's dream.

My budget is about 4000-6000 GBP, including the SwissPass 8 days.
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 12:37 AM

Maienfeld (which is in Graubünden): You're probably thinking of Heidi village - it's unfortunately closed from 15 Nov on through winter. Just like so many other attractions.

Four adults in one room is not common in Switzerland. Quite hard to find, I'd say. A good option are the youth hostels - unlike the name indicates they are not only for young people, but often frequented by families. Clean, modern, and many rooms with four beds. Quite good rates, too. Check them out:

http://www.youthhostel.ch/en/hostels/list
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 12:51 AM
Original Poster

Dear Ingo,

Thanks for tell me about that.. Now I am reconsidering if I should visit Switzerland in Nov >.< But it's the only chance in coming few years
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 02:07 AM

Just so you are aware many places in Switz - hotels, restaurants, cable cars, etc are closed in November as they are being upgraded, repaired etc for the upcoming ski season Nov is the worst time to come - both for that reason and that the weather will be chilly/cold and likely rainy, with snow possible - depending on how high in the mountains you are.

If you are looking for meadows and flowers in Heidi land you will have to wait until at least late April and probably May to see what you want.

And Swtiz is VERY expensive - for hotels, food, transit, everything - and while some places do have family rooms for 4 people they are typically much more costly then regular rooms.
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 05:01 AM

We'll get to the timing of your visit later, but the first place that popped into my mind was Interlaken where the Swiss Quality Inn not to mention their delicious Stella restaurant which might be the type of place from which to base your stay. This hotel is in a quiet residential area about 4-6 blocks from the train station, from which you can easily reach the Jungfrau, the lake, or connect over to Bern or Lucerne. The Stella was not inexpensive but was Swiss fine dining at its best and because it's not on the beaten path, the service was sublime. Moreover, this Quality Inn does offer a 2-bedroom apartment and I see that reviews find it very reasonable. On our 12 day visit last September, we began through Zurich to Lucerne for 3 nights, Interlaken 3 nights, Zermatt 2 nights, Montreux 3 nights, then flew back out of Geneva. I would skip Zermatt and base out of Lucerne and Interlaken. Should you keep to your November itinerary you can let the weather dictate your itinerary but the train connections will be easy. We reserved Bern for a less-than-ideal mountain day but fortunately (or unfortunately?) never got there.
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 05:22 AM

kookypooky, should clarify my hotel name as there is another w/ similar name: Check the Stella Swiss Quality Hotel Int'l, and not the Swiss Inn. Good luck w/ your plans. And yes, an 8-day SwissPass or Half-Fare card would work best. The 8-day will allow you to jump on without getting in line anywhere, but the half-fare card will cost you half of the regular fares of just those trains you take; i.e., probably cheaper. Remember, the private trains on the highest elevations do not honor the SwissPass anyway, or merely at 25% or 50%; these are set forth in most travel guides (definitely Rick Steves)in complete detail.
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 08:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

Let's say Nov is not the great time for vising Switzerland, which country in Europe will be the best for sightseeing and relaxing during Nov please?
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 07:03 AM

Is the Swiffpass a MUST item for travelling?>

depends on how much you will be traveling on trains (and lake boats and city transit and postal buses, all of which are 100% covered by a Swiss Pass (which also gives free entry to 470 museums and sites and gives discounts on some chain hotels like you ask about) - like aliced says an 8-day consecutive-day pass often is a great deal if doing more than a few longer train rides - it would cover virtually everything that moves in Switzerland.

For lots of great info on Swiss trains and passes and things like the Half-Fare Card, Swiss Card, Swiss Transfer Ticket- all of which could be viable depending on your plans check these IMo superb sites: www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

IMO and IME the Jungfrau Region around Interlaken is the absolute high point of Switzerland - the dreamy picture of Switzerland etched in many folks' eyes' minds - glacier-girdled peaks soaring thousands of feet above lush cow-dotted meadows - toy-like trains impossibly ascending steep inclines - glaciers to walk to - aerial cable cars going off in all directions, etc.

Images of the Jungfrau Region.

https://www.google.com/search?q=jung...w=1455&bih=977
Old Aug 11th, 2014, 02:14 PM

Any 'hotels' like Travelodge in Switerland please? But I want all of us could stay in 1 room though.>

Not IME in the Jungfrau Region or any Alpine resort - seemingly very few chains and lots of family-run hotels - you should be able to find a large room or perhaps two rooms adjoining.

The thing to look for in Alpine areas is a room with a balcony and a sweet view of the glacier-girdled peaks - Grindelwald has many of these and has a wide variety of accommodations - I'm sure you'll find one to suit your wishes.
Old Aug 12th, 2014, 05:35 AM

Remember, the private trains on the highest elevations do not honor the SwissPass anyway, or merely at 25% or 50%; these are set forth in most travel guides (definitely Rick Steves)in complete detail.>

All things that move not fully covered by a Swiss Pass are 50% off with one sole exception - from Wengen/Grindelwald to Kleine Shceidegg to Jungfraujoch - all others 50% off.
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 11:31 AM

Let's say Nov is not the great time for vising Switzerland, which country in Europe will be the best for sightseeing and relaxing during Nov please?>

You have to go south of the Alps to get a modicum of warm nice weather - so yes Italy would be a prime candidate - Rome, Florence, Venice - weather not bad and crowds have dissipated.
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 03:29 PM

November is also an off-season visitor-wise in Swiss Alpine areas - in between the summer hiking season and winter sports one - many hotels are closed (but not all) and some mountain trains and lifts are closed for repairs done during this slack time.

Plus hiking if iffy even on the easiest low-level trails.

November I'd definitely look south - Spain, Greece, Italy, the French Riviera, Portugal.