Reload this Page >

Switzerland for the first timer

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:59 PM
Suhas

I have three days in Sept to visit Switzerland for the first time in my life. Where should I go and what should I see? Please suggest!

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 04:47 AM
jw

Do a search here narrowing it down via the 'Switzerland' button. You'll find a lot of raves and suggestions. I'd like to invite you to take a look at our first 'Support Group for those who love Switzerland', even though it's kind of wordy -- mostly my fault. But it'll give you some ideas. If you don't have time to sift through all that, then I'd suggest Lucerne. J.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 05:16 AM
Wayne

Difficult to make any good suggestions without knowing:<BR>-where are you arriving? Do you arrive and depart from the same place? Are you arriving by land or air?<BR>-is it 3 days or 3 nights/4days?<BR>-what do you like? Mountains? Lakes? Art? Architecture? Quaint villages? Big cities? Just nice scenery?<BR>-how much are you willing to travel during your 3 days?<BR>-do you want to rent a car? Or take the train everywhere?<BR><BR>Answers to these questions will perhaps even help you to make some decisions. With only 3 days, you probably cannot wander very far from your arrival point, so what you will see depends on where you arrive. If you want to have total flexibility to travel, you must rent a car; however, Swiss trains are very good and very efficient. <BR><BR>Switzerland is a beautiful country. With only 3 days, you should plan your trip carefully so you will be able to enjoy it fully.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 05:34 AM
VARA

One of these days u must visit Mount Titlis...it is too good...but u must be sure the weather on that day is bright and sunny and not cloudy...o.w. ur whole day will be wasted!<BR>good luck<BR>vara

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 06:00 AM
Bob Brown

Switzerland has one thing you don't find elsewhere in Europe: High, snow capped peaks. That is why I got there, as often as my income will stand it.<BR>

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 06:02 AM
Bob Brown

Well, France, Spain, Austria and Italy have some too.<BR>I have been there, like the Dolomites and the Gross Glockner.<BR>And Spain/France have the Pyranees.<BR>

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 07:27 AM
yodel

If you like urban cultural attractions, by all means stay in Zurich. You can easily do 2-3 days there; and, if you'd like, take a day trip to Basel or Bern - they're only about 1hr. by train from Zurich - to occupy 1 of your 3 days. Basel is bigger than Bern and has great museums; Bern is wonderful because it's principally an old town surrounded by the Aare river. <BR><BR>If you like the mountains/countryside, then - instead of the cities - head for the Alps. Assume you are flying into Zurich. If so, go either to eastern Switzerland and stay in either of these resorts: Flims, Davos, Arosa, Lenzerheide or Pontresina for incredible hiking and panoramas. Davos is the "busiest" of the towns; Arosa is probably the most secluded. Pontresina is not far from St. Moritz if you'd like a little glitz. Otherwise, take the intercity train from the Zurich airport to Bern, change for Thun/Interlaken and go to Wengen or Grindelwald. The Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau mountains will form the backdrop for your stay and you will like having 3 days in one of the most scenic areas of the country. Lots of hiking possibilities, etc. Wengen is the sleepier of the two, and has no cars in the village. <BR><BR>Have fun. And by all means, don't try to cram too much into your stay. Take it easy in the cities, easy in the Alps... <BR><BR>