self catering cottage in Cotswolds.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for a good source of self catering cottages in Cotswolds.
Website or actual cottage would be great.
Also curious as to when the day tripper influx starts ...we are thinking end of May ...first week of June
Thanks
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 10:30 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
two really good agencies are

www.manorcottages.co.uk
www.cottageinthecountry.co.uk

You can't really escape the day trippers in some villages - especially on weekends. And the end-of-May Bank Holiday weekend is one of the busiest times of the year.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 04:14 AM
kdcwood

We have been to the Cotswolds several times and love it! In mid-July 2004 we rented a cottage in Blockley for a week, just a few minutes drive from the larger market town of Moreton-on-Marsh. We liked Blockley because it wasn't on the "tourist route" but was big enough to have a shop and two pubs.

We loved our cottage, which we rented from the owner. Here's my review (includes a link to the cottage website): http://www.slowtrav.com/uk/vr/review.asp?n=1128 (check out Slow Travel for reviews of other rentals in the Cotswolds)

Here's my blog (trip report) about our week-long stay: http://www.slowtrav.com/blog/kaydee/...es/000572.html

And here's a photo album from our week: http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=3230

Our first visit to the Cotswolds was in early May. Visit two was in late May/early June (we were there 10 days on a walking trip), and then the 2004 trip was in mid-July. I don't think you need to necessarily avoid a certain time of year to stay away from the tour buses, but I would avoid certain places during the mid-day: Bourton-on-the-Water and Stow-on-the-Wold come to mind. These are lovely places to visit in the early morning and late afternoon... And DEFINITELY stay away from Bourton-on-the-Water on a bank holiday!

Kathy

Old Nov 27th, 2006, 05:55 AM

Stanton Court Cottages in the hamlet of Stanton looked very appealing. Stanton is quiet and located between Winchcombe and Stowe.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

thanks ....had seen some of these but some are new...will research and keep u posted. I am surprised by the number available...guess that means that we should find what we want!
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 09:09 PM

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over daytrippers.

Between 1100 and 1700 over weekends from May to August (and on Bank Holiday Mondays) they're a nuisance in Bourton on the Water, Bibury and Broadway, and make parking difficult (but otherwise just add to a sort of purposeless buzz) in Stow, Chipping Campden, Burford, Moreton and Woodstock though technically it's not in the Cotswolds.

Someone else might be able to add somewhere. But a hundred yards away from these town centres, on any other dayu of the year, and after 1700, you won't hear a peep. And only Bourton on the Water really suffers during its few hours of congestion.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 05:14 PM

The Saratoga cottage at Bruern, outside Chipping Norton, is wonderful for a party of two. The website is www.bruern-holiday-cottages.co.uk. They have several cottages. Pricey but worth it. The cottages are in an area that day trippers never see but the location is extremely convenient for touring the Cotswolds.
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 03:13 PM

You can also try:

www.discoverthecotswolds.net

who have many lovely cottages on their books.
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 03:34 PM

I was in Broadway and Bourton on the Water over a weekend this past September. Bourton was particularly jammed with visitors but that didn't preclude us from enjoying the village. There seemed to be fewer visitors in Broadway but that may be because the layout of the village is somewhat different than in Bourton where there are lots of open spaces along the water's edge and many folks were congregated there to enjoy the ambience.

I wouldn't stay away from anywhere in the Cotswolds due to the possibilities of seeing other visitors such as yourselves.
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 04:18 AM

I have been to the Cotswolds several times over the years and our favorite place to base ourself while there is in the village of Stanton. As mentioned earlier in this thread, the Stanton Court Cottages are wonderful and I can highly recommend them.
http://www.stantoncourt.co.uk/
The manager of the property is Sheila and she is a sweetheart to deal with!!
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 04:38 AM

Another site for cottage rental is:
http://www.english-country-cottages...._homepage.html

We have used them a few times.

Good luck

Muck
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 05:47 AM

We have also used English Country Cottages http://www.english-country-cottages.co.uk/
and have been very pleased with them.
On the website, some cottages have a virtual tour which gives you a good idea of what they are like.

It's a good idea to go for ones that say no pets and no children under 12 because the furnishings will be better.

That's of course unless you want to take your three year old triplets and the St. Bernard with you