cotswold lodging

Search

cotswold lodging

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cotswold lodging

OK, I have read all the info on which village/town to see and what sites not to miss. Now I am looking for your personal recommendations for lodging, prefer small places. Also, since the Cotswold area is not too large, is it best to stay in one place for two or three nights and branch out from there, or stay in two separate places? Oh, forgot to mention, we will have a car. Right now we plan to drive from Nottingham up to York area, then down to Cotswold area. Anyone have a favorite route? Thanks especially to past posts by "vstanton" they have been very helpful in my planning, sorry we will miss you at the Dennis Severs Oct. 25th.

Debra in Oregon
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 04:31 PM

Look at info on the Bibary Court Hotel--we really like it a few years back...
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 04:35 PM

I can highly recommend The Olive Branch Guesthouse in Broadway. Wonderful hosts, lovely rooms and great breakfast. Broadway is a very pretty town with a good selection of pubs and restaurants. Last time we stayed in the Cotswolds we used Broadway as our homebase. It's not a huge area so it was easy to drive out each day; 2-3 days would be an ideal amount of time to spend there. Check out a book by Joanna Trollope called "The Romantic Road" (recommended by Pam Talboys at the Olive Branch). We found it very helpful - it has 2 driving routes around the Cotswolds that we took on 2 separate days; if you follow it you will see lots of stuff off the beaten path.
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 04:45 PM

I like Chipping Campden. It's centrally located, has some lovely shops, a few great restaurants and quite a smattering of pubs. We stayed in Honeypot Cottage -
http://www.chippingcampden.co.uk/honeypot.htm - which is a one-bedroom, self-catering unit but Mrs. Brook also offered B&B. Depending on what time of year you are going you might negotiate a few days in the self-catering part (usually self-catering properties rent for a week at a time), it has the most romantic bedroom.

Since we usually always rent self catering cottages when we visit the Cotswolds, I can't recommend B&Bs. But I can say that we enjoyed Bourton on the Water for staying in, although it gets very crazy during the day, it is lovely in the evening. The river going through the middle of the town and the little bridges is perfect.

We've also rented in Moreton on Marsh, again centrally located - the train stops here. Not as pretty as Chipping or Bourton, but it is a market town and is quite lively.

Banbury is another option, although it has grown a bit in the last few years and probably somewhere just outside of it would be quieter, unless you are looking for more shops, pubs, rest., etc.

If you are interested in self catering names and addresses for these places, let me know.
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 05:27 PM

I would chose 1 place and drive out from there. We've stayed in several places..Broadway, Bibury, Upper Slaughter, Winchcombe...they are all easy access to the other places.
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 07:47 PM

i have stayed in the cotswolds many times....in the heavy tourist season it is overrun during the day as many travel there just for the day, but at nite it is quite nice...it does not keep me away...i just head for the small roads and lanes where the busses can't go...

there are thousands of B&B's in the area as well as small inns and lux establishments...

i prefer the area around bourton on the water....we stayed for many years with a couple in little rissington, just above bourton, but they have moved on...by staying there, which is sort of central, you can easily tour the whole area....

i like staying in one area....there is a very good cotswold only area map which will help you out...it is readily available once you are there or in london...
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 05:19 AM

Hi,
Several years ago we stayed in a place called the Swan Hotel...I think it was located in Upper Slaughter or around there..Very nice rooms and quaint setting. We went in late February so it was cold but not crowded at all.