Search

self-catering

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2003, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
self-catering

Help!!Leaving for Ireland 10/28-11/04....Every self-catering place will only take Saturday to Saturday reservations!!I've stayed several times in Ireland doing the self-catering thing...but never had this kind of difficulty.Am looking to stay on coast of Kerry or Cork.Do not like B-n-B's.Any one have any suggestions?Why only Saturday to Saturday stays????Thanks all
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 04:50 PM

I'm surprised that you're finding this kind of rigidity if you're wanting to rent at that time of the year. I'd think that the owners would be delighted to still have interested renters at all. Are you dealing with a booking agency? I'm guessing you'd have better luck talking directly with the owners.
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

My feelings exactly.Yes....i have been dealing with both.So far not one individual owner has contacted me
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 05:00 PM

The vast majority of self catering cottages are rented Sat to Sat, with a few Fri to Fri and a very few Sun to Sun.

But by mid October many start offering "short breaks" for 3 or 4 nights. Look for "short Breaks". You will be able to find something and then add a couple of nights in B&Bs - if you want a full week in one place though, it will probably have to be Sat to Sat. If you try to book mid week to mid week you are messing up two full weeks for the owners.
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 05:55 PM

Sounds like you've been emailing the owners? I've found a lot who don't check email frequently, even during high season. I'd try phoning and I'm going to be surprised if don't find a little more flexibility this late in the season.
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 06:01 PM

I agree with MaryZ. I've contacted some owners of weekly rentals during the off season and have found that if the place is not rented, they are more than willing to negotiate and prorate the cost.
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 07:40 PM

I think janis' suggestion is a good one, particularly at the time of year you are going, lots of short breaks should be available. The other suggestion would be to contact one of the larger agencies like Shamrock Holidays (www.shamrockcottages.co.uk) and ask them to recommend cottages that book Fri to Fri, or whatever it is you want. I've found that the agencies a) get back to you right away and b) they want to make a sale so will try and accommodate you. That said most self catering cottages book Sat.-Sat. in England and Ireland, some go to Fri-Fri and a few Sun-Sun.
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.Your suggestions are helpful.
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 11:49 AM

Chezzle ?
I don?t know if you would like to stay near Killaney, but I do know that Lakeland Cottages have midweek rates?. http://www.killarneycottages.com/weekend_midweek.html
Good Luck!