Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Seeking recs for knitting/yarn stores in Paris

Seeking recs for knitting/yarn stores in Paris

Aug 23rd, 2003, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Seeking recs for knitting/yarn stores in Paris

This is for all of the knitters out there...what are your favorite yarn shops in Paris? I am new at knitting, and I thought it would be fun to browse the yarn stores while I'm on my vacation.
Aug 25th, 2003, 07:03 PM

I'm not a knitter (used to crochet some, though) but since no one has responded, I do know some addresses if you want to look.

First, you might enjoy just browsing in the needlework sections of the large grand department stores -- also, you can look for other things while you're there. I think Bon Marche and Printemps might be the best for yarn.

There is a chain of French needlework shops that have both some clothing, as well as yarns, and they are all over Paris -- Phildar. Some convenient ones near the center would be the ones at 68 rue Monge (5th arr), 51 rue Daguerre (14th arr), 102 rue Provence (9th arr) and 19 rue de la Monnaie (1st) They have a web site www.phildar.fr

Some other specialty yarn stores are La Droguerie at 9 rue du Jour in the 1st arr and Christine Perlmutter at 40 rue Francs Bourgeois in the Marais.

Another major yarn/needlework store with several outlets is called Mercerie Collection 5. I think their flagship store is at 215 rue Lafayette in the 10th (another small outlet at 15 bd des Batignolles in the 8th). They carry French yarn "Pingouin" (Penguin) which I gather is nice as I gave this address to someone else on here once who was specifically looking for that yarn.
Aug 26th, 2003, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Christina! I will make a note of these recs.
Aug 26th, 2003, 09:40 AM

The last time I was in Paris I wondered into Galeries Lafayette -
40, boulevard Haussmann, 9th Arrondissement.
Tel. 42 82 34 56
Métro stop: Havre-Caumartin, Opéra.

WOW! The yarn was amazing and I just bought and bought and bought!!! Thank goodness my husband and two kids were with me..... we all went home with balls of yarn popping out of every little gap in our bags. I still have some, years later.
Whenever I travel I buy odd balls, then knit them into sweaters and have wonderful memories of my trips when wearing them.
Liberty in London often have wonderful sales of yarn, fabric and needlepoint. I got some great silk yarn last year.

Happy shopping & knitting
Aug 26th, 2003, 10:30 AM

There is one on rue Cler, down 2-3 blocks from LaMotte Picquet. Also on the Artisan's Row of rue Daumesnil has an incredible needlework shop--and may have yarn.
Aug 26th, 2003, 12:00 PM

As Christine suggested, one of the department stores, La Samarataine on the right bank, has an extensive needlecraft department

Search this Thread