Seeking hotel recommendations in Nice

Oct 3rd, 2019, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Seeking hotel recommendations in Nice

Hello,
We will be traveling with friends through Provence and the French Riviera this April/May 2020. I have made our hotel reservations for St. Remy and feel very comfortable with the planning of that portion of our trip since we visit our daughter and her family several times a year in Provence. We plan on spending 5 nights in Nice. I would appreciate some hotel recommendations. Our budget is typically no more than 200 USD per night but would be willing to go up to around 220 USD for the right place. Our priorities are a centrally located hotel. Something charming/funky would be nice instead of super modern. I've done a little bit of research, and the Hotel Le Grimaldi looks nice. Is anyone familiar with it?

The Hotel Beau Rivage looks very nice, too. Maybe a bit pricey for us but would consider it if someone has stayed there and can recommend it.

Also, our friends will be going to Paris first. They plan on taking a train from Paris to Avignon where we will meet them. I've never purchased French train tickets. Does anyone know when train tickets go on sale? Do you buy the tickets from the SNCF website?

Thank you!
Oct 3rd, 2019, 08:07 PM

Hotel Windsor in Nice.

Attached is my Cote d'Azur & Provence itinerary
Attached Files
Oct 3rd, 2019, 08:19 PM
kja

It's not at all fancy and it isn't 24/7, but you might look at the Hotel Solara. Great location, super nice staff. If you do, be sure to get a room with a balcony, and note that there is a flight of stairs once in the hotel to reach the rooms with balcony.
Hotel Solara, Nice French Riviera
Oct 4th, 2019, 04:10 AM

We stayed at Beau Rivage years ago and it was a nice hotel. I believe part of the building is condos and that Matisse had lived in the building.
The hotel had their own beach club.
Since then, we have rented apartments on the other side of Nice and liked the looks of Hotel Windsor for a future trip. Nice area, neighborhood.
Oct 4th, 2019, 06:29 AM
mms

Our daughter stayed at he Brice Garden this summer and they loved it. They have a private beach membership as well.

About 5 year one of the hotels in Nice that we stayed at was the Ellington. They too have a private beach membership, and it was a great hotel, but not quite as central.

The other hotel we stayed at was the Mercure Promenade, which we absolutely loved the location. They too have the private beach membership.
Oct 4th, 2019, 07:54 AM

"Hotel Le Grimaldi looks nice. Is anyone familiar with it?"

Yes, it's where I stay when in Nice Trying to remember my favorite room number, but it's a junior suite, third floor (I think) facing the church. Huge bathroom!
Oct 4th, 2019, 08:20 AM

I've not stayed at Le Grimaldi, but while apartment shopping we stayed at a rental apartment next door. Le Sejour nearby is a very good restaurant, and the intersection of the two tram stops is nearby (easy airport transfer, train is close and tram to the port as well). The Beau Rivage, is obviously more convenient to the old town/market and to their Beau Rivage beach club (one of the better ones, and the resto is open year round). The tradeoff is that it is a bit further away from train station (but the tram line 1 is close by) . The area around le Grimaldi is more residential while the Beau Rivage is more lively (although the hotel is outside of the main market fray).

90 days in advance for the TGV.
Oct 4th, 2019, 09:39 AM

YES to Hotel le Grimaldi! DD and I stayed three nights there, a few years ago. It's charming, well-located, with good service, sparkling clean rooms, and a great breakfast buffet.
Oct 4th, 2019, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone who responded. I will check out the hotel recommendations. We will have a rental car in Provence, but we plan on returning it in Nice. I know trying to park in the towns along the coast is very difficult so our plan is to take either the local trains or the buses to visit places along the coast, such as Villa Ephrussi, Villa Kerylos, Villefranche-sur-Mer, and perhaps as far as Menton. Some people mentioned the hotels are close to the train station. Are they also close to bus stations/stops?

gooster, thank you for the information about the TGV.

Stu, thank you for your itinerary. Several years ago you sent me your itinerary, but it looks like that one was last revised in 2014, so this one, updated in 2017, is newer. Thank you!
Oct 4th, 2019, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr View Post
We stayed at Beau Rivage years ago and it was a nice hotel. I believe part of the building is condos and that Matisse had lived in the building.
The hotel had their own beach club.
Since then, we have rented apartments on the other side of Nice and liked the looks of Hotel Windsor for a future trip. Nice area, neighborhood.
HappyTrvlr, do you think the neighborhood of the Hotel Windsor is more convenient than the location of Beau Rivage?
Oct 4th, 2019, 11:52 AM

We stayed at the Ibis near Garibaldi Square in 2016 and only played 90 US a night with free breakfast. The room was large. Lots of cafes in Garibaldi Square and a Monoprix. It was about a 10-minute walk to the Promenade des Anglais.

The Airport Bus 99 drops off and picks up nearby.

Thin,aristocrat ⛄

Last edited by Pepper_von_snoot; Oct 4th, 2019 at 11:56 AM.
Oct 4th, 2019, 01:24 PM

We had a miserable stay at the Beau Rivage several years ago and would not recommend the hotel. Unpleasant front-desk staff, malfunctioning fire alarms, lots of exterior noise, hot elevators.

Last time around we stayed at the Westminster, a bit by accident, and really liked the hotel. Nice staff, comfortable room, good buffet breakfast sometimes included in the rate. Easy walking to Place Massena and the old town.
Oct 4th, 2019, 01:25 PM

I always buy tickets online on the French SNCF site - www.oui.sncf .
If you would like the English version, you can choose to change to English by clicking on the French flag on the top right side, then the UK flag.
If you put in your departure (Nice) and destination (Avignon TGV), and desired date of travel in April or May, you will get a page advising you that it is too early to book and offering to send you an alert email when tickets for your date will be on sale.
You can go on this site and do a practice booking for a date within range and see how they display the options. When you choose a train, you can then choose your seat preference. After that your payment options and choice to print your ticket.
Many people have reported issues of payment with U. S. credit cards. I have not had that happen within the last few years. If you have a problem, you can probably get the same tickets from www.trainline.com with no payment issue. I have heard, though, that they charge a fee now.
Oct 4th, 2019, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pepper_von_snoot View Post
We stayed at the Ibis near Garibaldi Square in 2016 and only played 90 US a night with free breakfast. The room was large. Lots of cafes in Garibaldi Square and a Monoprix. It was about a 10-minute walk to the Promenade des Anglais.

The Airport Bus 99 drops off and picks up nearby.

Thin,aristocrat ⛄
I will check out the Ibis. I believe we stayed at an Ibis in the Loire Valley several years ago. Thank you!
Oct 4th, 2019, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Underhill View Post
We had a miserable stay at the Beau Rivage several years ago and would not recommend the hotel. Unpleasant front-desk staff, malfunctioning fire alarms, lots of exterior noise, hot elevators.

Last time around we stayed at the Westminster, a bit by accident, and really liked the hotel. Nice staff, comfortable room, good buffet breakfast sometimes included in the rate. Easy walking to Place Massena and the old town.
Thanks for the info about the Beau Rivage. I will check out the Westminster!
Oct 4th, 2019, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MaineGG View Post
I always buy tickets online on the French SNCF site - www.oui.sncf .
If you would like the English version, you can choose to change to English by clicking on the French flag on the top right side, then the UK flag.
If you put in your departure (Nice) and destination (Avignon TGV), and desired date of travel in April or May, you will get a page advising you that it is too early to book and offering to send you an alert email when tickets for your date will be on sale.
You can go on this site and do a practice booking for a date within range and see how they display the options. When you choose a train, you can then choose your seat preference. After that your payment options and choice to print your ticket.
Many people have reported issues of payment with U. S. credit cards. I have not had that happen within the last few years. If you have a problem, you can probably get the same tickets from www.trainline.com with no payment issue. I have heard, though, that they charge a fee now.
Thank you so much for the train information. I will forward this info to our friends. They plan on taking a train from Paris to Avignon, where we will meet them.
Oct 5th, 2019, 04:35 AM

I just bought tickets on thetrainline.com (their app, to be precise) a few weeks ago (for the UK) and there were no added fees - same price as the rail line website. Certainly something to always check for, though.
Oct 6th, 2019, 01:39 PM

Note bus 99 is no longer in service. It has been discontinued due to the new tram service. All the bus lines have been scrambled to adjust to the new tram, with many new numbers, so beware of past posts. (We have a 2nd home in Nice).

The Grimaldi is close to the train station and very close to the intersection of both tram lines. You can take tram line 1 to Vauban, the main bus "station" where many of the lines like the one to Eze and Beaulieau commence. Tram 2 will take you to the Port (after the start of the year). The main train station is about 0.5 km away. The Windsor and Nice Garden are not far away, either. There is also a Mercure nearby.
Oct 8th, 2019, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

YankyGal, thank you for the info on thetrainline.com!!

Gooster, thank you for the info about the bus changes. I assume the tram only services Nice, right? Do you know when the bus numbers changed? I am using the Lonely Planet guidebook published in 2019 so would the bus information in my book be up-to-date? Thank you!

I made our hotel reservations at the Hotel Le Grimaldi because I got a fabulous rate on their website. They have a special offer that can only be booked on their website. I reserved two Superior Double rooms for $217 per night per room. This rate includes breakfast buffet and free cancellation up until 2 days before our arrival.
Oct 8th, 2019, 06:55 PM

So there is no more bus to and from the airport into Nice?

Thin,aristocrat 🧶

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO