Seeking feedback on Croatia itinerary for early July and August

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, Fodorites. I’ve been voraciously reviewing all of the posts on Croatia, so thank you to all those who have provided such rich and detailed information, which have been so helpful to me.

At the risk of sounding somewhat repetitive with other postings, I wanted to ask advice on my itinerary, when I visit Croatia, beginning next Friday, July 21st, and leaving Saturday, August 5th.

Here are my questions:
1. Roughly speaking, do these look like great destinations and the approximate right timeframes at each?
2. Except for Hvar Town and Dubrovnik, would I be able to reasonably quickly find accommodations “on the day of” especially if they’re private accommodations that aren’t super expensive (i.e., <100Euro per night) since i'm also trying to build in some flexibility into my trip.

And before I ask for feedback, let me preface by saying I am looking for spectacular coastlines, especially ones I can photograph (think Big Sur here in California)—I am an aspiring professional photographer, and am hoping to do some serious photography during sunrise and sunset, and spend time during the day just visiting the sites, lounging on the beaches, or possible active stuff for good measure (e.g., hiking or biking or kayaking…maybe even scuba diving)

So, here’s what I have as a tentative itinerary, and I can either add another place, or better yet, add time to the existing places below (since checking in and out is a pain)

15 nights

Zagreb: 2 nights
Plitvice: 1-2 nights
Trogir: 2 nights
Makarska: 2 night
Hvar Town: 2 nights
Jelsa/Stari Grad: 2 nights
Dubrovnik: 2 nights

Apologies for the detailed post. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Howard
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 04:42 PM

Hi Howard,

I wouldn't split my time in Hvar up between Hvar town and Jelsa/Stari Grad. Stay in Hvar town, and drive to the other locations on the island. It's a very short trip and Hvar town is by far the best location, in my opinion. Get some good photos from the fort above the town also. There is a large parking lot close to the bus station. I also don't think you would need 2 nights in Trogir, but could easily spend more time in Dubrovnik. So many opportunities there for photos. Don't miss a half day or all day trip to one of the close islands either.

You could spend days in Plitvice taking photos, and Krka National Park is also very, very photogenic!

You have picked a wonderful location. I see no problem in getting accomadations at sobe's last minute, but I have no idea what the quality of these places is, since we booked our's ahead of time.

Have a great trip.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 04:43 PM

Well, here is my 2 cents worth.

I would cut a night off of Zagreb and Plitvice, although Plitvice may be high on your list due to you being a photographer.

You could arrive fairly early in the morning and leave late the next day and that would be enough for most people. I spent 1/2 a day there and that was enough for me. Beautiful place!

I would add time to Dubrovnik. We stayed 4 nights and that wasn't enough for me. It is stunning!

Hvar is a great island but I recommend renting a car for a day and visiting Zavala Beach, Vrbosk and some other little places. Very picturesque!

I think that you will be able to find inexpensive sobe in Hvar and Dubrovnik, even in high season. If you arrive by bus or ferry you will be greeted by many sweet ladies wanting to take you to their sobe.

You may want to consider Rab Town on Rab Island. Very cool place! We would not have stopped there but we were visiting our friends in Germany and they suggested we make it a stop on our itinerary. We were glad we did!

I recommend you rent a car in Zagreb and drop it off at the airport in Split. The coastline is spectacular! I don't know if the poppies will be out but we were there in May/June of 2004 and the poppies along the coast were beautiful!

If you would like to view my "amatuer" photographs of Croatia to get an idea of what it is like you can go to www.windjammer.smugmug.com and go to the Croatia album.

If you would like to read my trip report, post your email address and I will send it to you.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 04:46 PM

BTW, I highly recommend Apartment Bakica in Trogir!!! Google for it and you will find it. It was about $20 Euro a night.

In Dubrovnik we stayed at a couple of Sobe but the best was Magical Apartment. You should find that by googling as well.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 04:48 PM

One more suggestion, some of my favorite trip photos are of the women selling produce in the Split fruit and vegtable market. Don't miss this!
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 01:03 AM
Original Poster

Images2 and eurotraveller: thanks so much for your advice. Will definitely seriously look into adding time to dubrovnik and staying put in hvar town.

enjoyed looking at your photographs eurotraveller! (I especially liked some of your cambodia shots!!)

Thanks again, and will look into some of the accommodation recommendations as well!

howard
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 01:32 AM

The coast is spectacular and renting a car is a good idea. My husband and I have a house on the island of Dugi Otek and every time we go down there we rent a car and travel the coast. 1 night in Trogir is plenty and I too would add it on to Dubrovnik. Villa Lavendula in Trogir is fab.Dubrovnik is magical. Makarska is amazing and 2 nights is a must. Sobe is the way to go. We stayed in this wonderful Sobe his name is Toni. his phone no. is 00385 91 7878029 and he speaks some english. He is just outside the walled city of Dubrovnik in Petracha, his house is beautiful and he charges 35Euro a night. On your way there stop by Kupari Beach where you will be astonished at the most beautiful hotel resort on the beach that once must have been a luxury destination but now sits there abandoned and full of bullit holes.. What an amazing sight to behold. We are going back again next summer and this time we will visit Hvar, Brac and Korcula. Can't wait.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 06:53 AM

Glad you enjoyed the photos! I certainly enjoyed taking them!

Regarding accomodations in Dubrovnik, I highly recommend staying within the city walls.

Make sure you stop by Bucha Bar. It is perched on the outside of the wall over the ocean. It is not very obvious in terms of finding it. There is just a sign on the inside of the city wall that says "Cold Drinks".

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 07:05 AM

You may have already seen my Croatia photo gallery, but I call your attention to the scenic shots on the Bay of Kotor just south of Dubrovnik in Montenegro. We also liked Korcula.

http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=3882
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Syl

Eurotraveller,
Loved your photos. What kind of camera & did you use a wide angle lens?
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 11:33 AM

Thanks Syl. I just have a basic digital Canon sd100. A little luck and a good eye can do wonders for a basic camera! No wide angle was used.

Glad you enjoyed the photos!
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 01:02 AM

I would lose an extra night in Zagreb and head towards northern Croatian islands of Rab and Brijuni archipelago (it is actually another National Park). You will definitely get wonderful photo opportunities on Rab and Brijuni.