Croatia Itinerary Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2008, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a 10-day trip through Croatia in late July/early August and I would welcome feedback on our itineary and discussion of the logistics. We would like a balance of beach and touring. Here is what I have tentatively come up with -

Fly into Zagreb.
2 nights in Opatija (Astoria Hotel?)
Drive or fly to Split and take ferry to Hvar.
3 nights in Hvar (Riva? Other Hvar hotel ideas? Other ideas such as Korkula or Brac?)
Ferry back to Split and drive to Dubrovnik.
4 nights in Dubrovnik (is 4 nights too much?)(Bellevue? Grand Villa Argentina?)
Fly to Zagreb for last night - avoid taking a 6:30 AM flight to make connection return to US at reasonable hour!

In particular, can anyone tell us whether having a car is a benefit or a burden? It seems like you may have more flexibility in ferry selection by not having the car. Is it necessary in Hvar? How is the bus service from Split to Dubrovnik if we forgo the car and use public transportation?
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 04:21 AM

Be aware July/early August is high season with lot of tourists around, lot of traffic and can make line in waiting for ferry. If you going by car from Opatija to Split, you should go by A1 highway and stop for 1 day on NP Plitvice Lakes. In my opinion having a car is benefit, but that’s me, anyhow you can drop car in Split, go by bus to Hvar, and on the Hvar rent a scooter if you want to explore island, or just stay in Old Town. Bus service from Split to Dubrovnik is just fine, bus with air-condition, probably full (high season), if you will take bus try to sit on the right side in bus to enjoy beautiful scenery.

If you are thinking of Korcula and Brac Islands, then you should skip Opatija,…. from Zagreb by car to Split with at least day stop to Plitvice, drop car in Split...and visit those Islands as well and leave Istria (Opatija, Pula, Porec, Rovinj) for next time.

Hope it helps.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 04:39 AM

I can comment on a few accounts

1. We drove from Zagreb to Dubrovnik stopping overnight at Split. No problems, road was fantastic. But then once in Dubrovnik we dumped the car. I would not bother with a car in Hvar. The drive dow was breathtaking and fun and easy.

2. We stayed at the Riva in Hvar, highly recommend. Though know its right on harbourfront and it can get noisy and the bar downstairs pulsates. But we loved it and we loved our jr suite; well worth it.

3. We stayed at the grand Villa Argentina in Dubrovnik and we loved it. Perfect location, fab room and sweeping water views and of the city. Click on my name and full report of our Croatia trip 2 yrs ago is there for you.

You'll love Croatia. Don't stress too much. Croatia is a laid back country, go with the flow....
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 05:35 AM

Is there a particular reason for visiting Opatija? It's an attractive, elegant resort, but it's not on any direct route from Zagreb to Hvar.
If you need to get from Opatija to Hvar, the quickest and easiest is by Jadrolinija's overnight ferry from Rijeka, though that runs only twice weekly.
From Hvar to Dubrovnik, you can take a direct ship, or there are daily services to Korcula from where you can easily go on to Dubrovnik.
If you need to go from Split to Dubrovnik by road, buses are every hour or so. It takes about four and a half hours.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 05:59 AM

We did a 10 day Croatia trip in May starting in Dubrovnik and ending in Zagreb. Whatever you do, DO NOT MISS the PLITVICE LAKES - my absolute favorite place in Croatia.

Also, I would recommend staying in Trogir (small Midieval town about 30 minutes from Split) rather than Split - it's charming, less expensive, and you can take a bus to Split to visit Diocletian's Palace. We stayed at Villa Sv.Petar. (http://www.villa-svpetar.com/pages.asp?ID_Stranica=101)

We never made it to Hvar, but stayed at Villa Antonio
(http://www.castle-antonio.com/ponuda.php?jezik=en) and took the ferry over to Korkula for a day. Villa Antonio is absolutely amazing, very inexpensive, and the food to die for. It's off the beaten path which is why it is so inexpensive.

We found one day in Dubrovnik proper to be enough, and did a day trip from there to Montenegro - there are several bus tours to surrounding areas from Dubrovnik - we had a van and drove ourselves.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Geoff,
I'd like to spend some time in Istria and thought Opatija would be a good location since it appears to be not too long a drive from Zagreb. As I indicated in my initial post, we are considering either driving to Split/Hvar or flying (which would mean returning to Zagreb). I think we'd rather not do an overnight ferry.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 06:12 AM

Have you ever been on an overnight ferry? Jadrolinija's ships have bars, lounges, restaurants and cabins. You'd board the ship in Rijeka in the early evening, have dinner, go to bed in your cabin, get up in the morning, have breakfast, and go ashore in Stari Grad on Hvar island.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 08:07 AM

We have stayed at the Astoria many times and it didn't fail to please us. Try to fit in lunch or dinner at Le Mandrac in Volosko, the food is amazing and the walk on the promenade is really lovely. From there drive to Plitvice and then on to Split where you should drop the car before going out to Hvar.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 04:14 PM

We stayed at Hotel Kristal in Opatija last year and enjoyed it. We didn't reserve an ocean view room, however, upon arrival, we must have been upgraded because when we walked in the room, and opened the drapes, we had the most stunning ocean view imaginable.

Definitely walk the Promenade (which is accessible from the hotel) and enjoy the amazing views. Take advantage of the numerous ice cream stands along the way (one located in the hotel)! Regardless of where you wind up staying, do recommend you make your reservation asap due to the time of year you'll be traveling.

Ride from Zagreb to Opatija should be about 2 hrs, depending on traffic.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Tripgirl,

I took your suggestion to read your trip report. Thank you - it was very helpful. Based on reading some of the other posts in looking for the report that we've stayed at some of the same hotels (e.g., Kirini, Grand Bretagne).

Did you see the Bellevue when you were in Dubrovnik? I haven't seen a lot about it on this site. It's discounted rate is pretty close to the rate of a room with a sea view at the Villa Argentina (Villa Glavic actually). Would it be worth staying at the Argentina without the view (it's considerably less). Thanks for your insights.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 06:12 AM

Roberto,

I did not see the Bellevue, sorry!

Yes, I think the Argentina is worth it with a room with a view. But don't fret too much about this as you will see the long large terrace that you can certainly take advantage of any time of day for all the views. Also the pool area you have a wonderful view.

Our room was bright, large and luxurious. I am not sure rooms without a view would be as bright.

Villa Glavic is across the street formt he main blidg, not a big deal and I hear the rooms are of luxury standard as we had in the Villa Argentina. The most exclusive is the Villa Orsula as it has its own entrance. I saw the interior rooms there ( no seaview) and while nice, they were a bit dark.

I'm glad we stayed at the Villa argentina. It is attached to the main hotel so the main areas of the hotel are close.

In any event, you will love Croatia and have a wonderful time!