Seeking feedback hotels Italy

May 19th, 2014, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Seeking feedback hotels Italy

Once again seeking more information. If You click on my name there is a long thread in regards to my sept Italy tour.( Too avoid detail redundancy) I'm seeking feedback if anyone has experience with any of following hotels that were recommended to me thru travel agent that puts together travel itinerary with hotels/trains/transfers car naples to sorrento and skip line tour sites ie last supper DaVinci's /pompeii/etc. I did review everything n not sure if the cost($4355.USD/approx r/t vat tax etc) is disproportionate or appropriate to the quality... Again I have no experience with this... Only the research that I've done. My airfare is not included in price bc using my reward points from cc..confirmed avail to use.
Travel Itinerary:
Revised Travel Itinerary:
pm depart /flight to Venice arrive (9:30a next day=day 1).
Day 1-4 hotel/explore Venice
Day 5-6 train to Lake Como/hotel/explore
Day 7-9 train to Cinque Terre/hotel/explore
Day 10-13 train to Florence/hotel/explore
Day 14-18 train toRome/hotel/explore
Day 19-22 train to Sorrento/hotel/explore Amalfi Coast
Day 23-26 hydrofoil to Capri >Ischia
Day 27 hydrofoil to Naples >taxi>airport>Home.
Hotels seeking feedback on are:
1.Tintoretto Hotel/Venice
2.Metropole Suisse/Como
3.no hotel yet /Cingue Terre(cost reflects this as well)
4.ComfortHotel Gardenia/Sorrento
5.Villa Durrueli Resort & Spa/Ischia
Thank-you to everyone in advance for your support and feedback.... And also again to all those of you that contributed to my initial thread the beginning of April. A special thank you to You " BobThe Navigator" for your brutal honesty.... This is a lot of work.... I continue to be committed, ). Although to be perfectly honest I'm feeling a bit conflicted/overwhelmed... with above hotel choices. Especially in light of some of the really great ones that I've read about here. Maybe it's my intuition or maybe My problem is I read into things too much
Peacefully awaiting feedback.
May 19th, 2014, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Also one more detail I forgot to mention I see no hotel listed in above itinerary for Rome bc there is not one
May 19th, 2014, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

My bad and here is the florence hotel/Corona d'Italia
May 19th, 2014, 12:52 PM

Can you give links to the hotels rather than having everyone look them up. Makes life easier for the responders.

Como City is not the most picturesque part of Lake Como - it's a city. I prefer the small mid lake towns such as Bellagio, Varenna, Menaggio. You take ferries among the small towns and it's wonderful.

What does the $4,355 include? You've not listed hotels for all locations. Is it airfare, hotels, transportation?

Perhaps you could put in a few paragraphs to make reading easier. Everything is mushed together. Thanks.
May 19th, 2014, 12:52 PM

You can expect that you will be paying more for more upscale or chain hotels that give commission to travel agents (unless you are paying your agent an hourly fee).

And without knowing what you are being charged for each hotel - and what accommodation you are getting I don't know how anyone can tell if it's a good deal - even if by some chance they are familiar with these hotels.
May 19th, 2014, 01:09 PM
ekc

If the main goal while staying in Sorrento is visiting the Amalfi Coast, it would be a better idea to stay somewhere on the Amalfi Coast. Sorrento is near (45 minutes without traffic), but not on the AC.

If staying in Positano or Amalfi, there is a direct ferry from either town to Capri.
May 19th, 2014, 01:11 PM

I don't know your sightseeing plans for Lake Como, but personally I wouldn't stay in the town of Como, especially if my plans gravitate to the mid-lake area. I'd stay in either Varenna, Bellagio or perhaps Cadenabbia or Menaggio.

I'm not familiar with the hotel in Sorrento. The hotel faces a less attractive section of Corso Italia, so I would probably pop for a seaview room. Also, if it matters to you, google.maps says the hotel is farther from the train station and Piazza Tasso than the hotel's website claims. Google says over 1 km.
May 19th, 2014, 01:16 PM

The original post said that airfare was not included, and that hotels for Rome and the Cinque Terre were not included. What seems to be included are train tickets, tours, and hotels for eighteen nights.

I can't really evaluate the prices without some more information.

First of all, the prices are in USD, whereas all the train tickets and hotel tariffs are in euros.

Second, the tours are specified as Da Vinci's Last Supper, etc. How many other tours are included and what is the total price for tours?

How many people are traveling?

I would guess that the train tickets and transfers for two people might be (generously) €400. I suppose that another €400 could be spent on da Vinci, etc. The hotels are for the most part budget hotels, with fairly mediocre ratings. If that's roughly correct, and if I'm correct in assuming that the hotel cost is for 18 ights, that would be an average of about €130 per night, which seems reasonable for the type of hotel that's been chosen. These are not fabulous hotels, nor quaint and charming hotels. They're budget hotels, and the price is in the ballpark for budget hotels.
May 19th, 2014, 04:54 PM

OK---You are listening and you are working---good for you !

Let me see If I can help on hotels:

Venice is OK !

Stay in Bellagio on Como. Look at Excelsior Splendide & Florence

Stay in Monterosso in the CT--look at Hotel Spiaggia & Villa Adriana

In Florence---loook at Hotel Casci

In Sorrento, the B&B Casa Astarita

In Rome, Hotel San Carlo

Hope this helps---holler if youed more !
May 19th, 2014, 04:56 PM

Here is more for Rome:

Bob’s favorite ROME hotels---2014

All are located in the centro historical area of Rome and are within:30 walking of most of the major tourism sights. Prices assume a double room.
SMALL B&Bs:
www.nicolasinn.com Near Colosseum with helpful hosts—170E

www.daphne-rome.com Tasteful B&B in two locations—150 to 200

www.baldassinibeb.it/eng/index.html Great location---good press

FULL SERVICE 3 STAR HOTELS: Prices vary from 160 to 230E & by season

www.albergocesari.it Perfect location—my wife’s favorite—230E

www.hotelsancarloroma.com Near Spanish Steps---about 190E

www.smeraldoroma.com Good location and fair prices

www.hotelmodigliani.com/ Well reviewed hotel for under 200E

www.lancelothotel.com/ Popular place near Colosseum

BUDGET 2 STAR OPTIONS: Prices from 90 to 140E for double in season

www.hotel-giardino-roma.com Good location---nice people

www.residenzasanpantaleo.com Good value near Piazza Navona

OTHER GOOD OPTIONS TO CONSIDER: Prices from 180 to 450E---by season

www.hotelmozart.com Nice place---good family/apt. options

www.relaischateaux.com/raphael Your splurge option at 400E plus

www.navonagallerysuites.com/ Nice suites in great location

www.albergodelsenato.it/ Fabulous location at Pantheon
May 19th, 2014, 06:59 PM

>>>Day 19-22 train to Sorrento/hotel/explore Amalfi Coast
Day 23-26 hydrofoil to Capri >Ischia
Day 27 hydrofoil to Naples >taxi>airport>Home.<<<

You don't mention staying in Capri so don't get the transport from there.

Flights departing for the US from Naples usually leave very early as there are no non-stop flights from Naples and you would have to change planes in Europe somewhere. I would not want to depend on a ferry or hydrofoil from an island on departure day. If seas are rough, they may get cancelled.
May 19th, 2014, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Oh thank you all so much... apologize if it was confusing. Just to clarify the itinerary was so confusing to me b/c of hotels for Cinque Terre and Rome not included. In addition to omission of trains from Cinque Terre to Florence. The price quoted ($4355.00USD)was in United States dollars, payment is due before trip departure except taxes pay in euros at hotel. My airfare is not included in the listed price bc I choose to use my credit card points for rt tickets,which has been confirmed as available. This afforded me a little bit more funds to put toward a longer stay in Italy. The agent uses vendors... To piece together what one wants however this was not brought to my attention until after I posted here. Also the vendor did not use the hotels I was seeking as per my research.. However this particular vendor could only provide as previously listed at beginning of thread....18 nights plus an odd night in naples which was not requested. Therefore the quoted price included a total of 19 hotel nights vs what was needed 26 hotel nocs .(itinerary sited beginning of this thread). Again I have no clue re; hotel pricing bc individual hotel pricing was not listed. The 2 tours included were Divinci' s last supper with walking tour of Milan and 1/2 day pompeii tour from Sorrento. Rail Europe ticketing charges included: (4) 2nd class full fare adult tics for VCE>MIL/MIL>QCM/QCM>-MIL/MIL>ALS. Plus (1) 1st class full fare adult tic FLO>NAPLES . Also limo driver/car naples to Sorrento. I can truly appreciate why people choose independent travel......even though it is more work......the experience of it all is priceless. I will go thru all of this info to see whats avail as well as collaborate with the agent to see if she can work with me re; skip the line tours and trains. It would be really sweet to have all those tickets all set up before I depart since it's another big part of the whole experience for me. Again my trip itinerary is as listed at the beginning of this thread as days 1-27. The usual train transportation that will get me from venice to Sorrento.( multiple trains8-9,too many for me, I'm aware)
Sorrento was chosen as the base city to see Amalfi coast then to proceed by hydrofoil in early am by way of capri for day tour then onto Ischia in late afternoon for 4 noc stay there. And yes there is bag storage at boat docs in capri.(bag storage is also avail at train station in Milan for DaVinci's tour as well as naples for archiologica museum tour to compliment pompeii 1/2 day tour later in week). I choose Sorrento bc I could have more flexibility in train arrival/ hydrofoil departure as well as pompeii tour if done independently by train. Although I am open to other possible locals as long as previous needs are considered.
I'm mainly curious about the sites/ food /people.... I'm not a big shopper and I prefer outside esp. if it's near moving water vs. inside a hotel room. Last but not least ...... BobTheNavigator I must express my heartfelt appreciation .....it's support like this that really is guiding me in making better choices for this Italy Journey. I'm also very grateful for all the really good and insightful feedback from everyone that's contributed .... it has been extremely helpful in regards to getting crystal clear on hotels,locations,ticketing and logistics of what to do/stay or skip.... Back to trip planning ....I will check back soon and thanks for being here for me!!!!!! ))))
May 19th, 2014, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

Btw my flight naple to Germany to us is in afternoon the ferry leaves as early as 6-7 am .
May 19th, 2014, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

Also lake como area is Varenna not como....that was outlined by agent not my choice.
May 20th, 2014, 06:00 AM

Here are some tips that may help:

TWENTY TERRIFIC TRAVEL TIPS !!

After enjoying 26 trips to Europe, most of them in the past 25 years, here are some tips that we have found helpful. We hope that you agree:

MONEY:
1. Use your CREDIT CARDS for most major expenses[ hotels, car rentals, Ristorantes ] It will provide the best exchange rate and give you a good record after you get home.
2. There is no reason to get local currency until you arrive in Europe. Use the airport ATM for cash. ATMs are everywhere in Europe and work just like your hometown machine—even in English.
3. Bring 2 credit cards and both should have 4 digit PINS. Be sure to tell your CC companies that you are traveling in Europe—check your limits.
4. Forget TRAVELERS CHECKS—they were obsolete years ago.
5. Keep several 1E & 2E coins easily accessible---very convenient.

PACKING:
6. Pack lite and pack smart ! It is too much luggage that signals a typical novice traveler. Your primary rolling bag should not exceed 24”—check it ! Take a smaller carry-on bag that should contain everything you will need to survive if your primary bag does not arrive for 48 HOURS.
7. Pack a canvas tote bag to hold the extra goodies you will buy in Europe. Also consider bringing a wash cloth, liquid soap, raincoat and a hat for bad hair days. Be sure your knife with corkscrew is in your checked luggage.
8. Do not dress to advertise that you are a tourist, although it will likely be evident. Plan your outfits using basic colors and do not be afraid to wear the same outfit 3 days in a row. Try to dress in layers—shirt, sweater, jacket.
9. If you need to save packing space, wear your bulkiest items on the plane [ sport coat, dress shoes, raincoat, sweater etc.]

SAFETY:
I feel safer in Rome or Munich than I do in Miami or Chicago. However, Americans do get targeted by pick pockets and purse snatchers, especially in crowded areas of major cities. Here are some tips that may help:
10. Keep purses/cameras around your neck—do not lay then down.
11. Wear a money belt for those items you cannot afford to have lost. This includes passports, credit cards, travel documents.
12. Stay alert and vigilant— thieves will use DISTRACTION as their tactic.
13. Always lock your rental car and keep nothing in view you want to keep.

WILD CARD TIP:
The best tip I can give to any novice traveler to Europe is to always smile, be respectful, and never forget you are a guest in their country !

TRAVEL TIPS CONTINUED:

CARS AND TRAINS:

Rental cars in Italy can be expensive due to the high mandatory insurance. However, often a car is the best way to see many parts of BELLA ITALIA.
Rail travel is often less costly but can be quite inconvenient in rural areas.

14. Avoid driving in major cities—it is often a real hassle.
15. When driving on the extensive AUTOSTRDA system, be sure to stay in the right lane except when passing. You will need to pay toll as you exit the system—look for the VIA lane to pay by credit card.
16. You will need a driver, a navigator, and a good map. The road signage is good on the major roads, but do not rely on road numbers on secondary roads—that will frustrate you. Do learn to trust the directional signage.
17. Study your daily maps in advance so you can ANTICIPATE decisions.

TRAVEL TID-BITS:

18. Take the time to learn a 50 word vocabulary to include basic courtesies.
19. Learn to use the 24 hour clock and the European way to list a date—both may save you a major blunder [ June 15 is really 15 June or 15/06]. It does make good sense---do we not call it the 15th of June?
20. Here are some TRAVEL TOOLS that you will want to have with you:

• Swiss Army knife with a decent corkscrew.
• Extra batteries for your camera—and/or a dual voltage charger.
• Copies of credit cards and travel documents—including passports.
• Extra reading glasses—I put 3 pairs in different locations.
• Adapter plugs—typically two prongs for round holes
• A flashlight or reading light---rooms are often too dark.

BUON VIAGGIO & BOUNA FORTUNA !!
May 20th, 2014, 06:11 AM

great list Bob
May 20th, 2014, 07:55 AM

"Also lake como area is Varenna not como....that was outlined by agent not my choice"

I don't know what that means, but the Metropole Suisse Hotel is located in the town of Como. There is a Metropole Hotel in Bellagio and a Hotel Suisse also in Bellagio, but the "Metropole Suisse Hotel" is in Como.

The fast ferry between Como and Bellagio takes 45 minutes each way. The slow ferry takes about 2 hours. Service between Como and Varenna involves a connection at Bellagio and takes about 15 minutes longer by either fast or slow ferry.
May 20th, 2014, 08:41 AM

We love hotel suisse in bellagio as a budget oprton....overlooks the lake, though can hear the ferry boars.
May 20th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

BOB....I'm speechless.... Wowwww that list rocks... Thank-you soo much! BTW I looked at all your wonderful accomadation resources.... Sept is a busy month.... Yikes I'm scrambling now.... Cinque Terre and Varenna nothing available. Still continue my searching for more resources. Some of the resources were literally being booked hours before my attempts. I'll check back soon. BTW I ALWAYS USE CARRYON LUGGAGE.... Never check it for fear it will get lost b/c it has se veg real times. Do u actually recommend checking vs carry it on plan to store in overhead?
Peace
May 20th, 2014, 11:33 AM

I don't know your September dates or your actual budget per night, but look at the Hotel Royal Victoria in Varenna. (It was recently renovated.) Look also in Bellagio where there are more lodging accommodations overall. Residence La Limonera in Bellagio offers apartments and often has mid-week availability in September although there may be a minimum night requirement, but IMO even staying 2 nights but paying for 3 nights would be better than staying in Como.

http://www.royalvictoria.com/1/2/EN/The_Hotel.htm

http://www.residencelalimonera.com/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO