COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Seeking Advice on Rome/Tuscany/Amalfi Coast trip

Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Hello fellow travelers!

I am planning a trip through Italy over 13 nights. My tentative itinerary is as follows:

-Arrive in Rome and spend 2 nights (Sep30-Oct 1)
-Take high speed rail to Florence and spend 2 nights (Oct 2-Oct 3)
-Rent car in Florence and explore backroads to Montepulciano and stay 1 night (Oct 4)
-Drive from Montepulciano and spend another night in another small town, suggestions?! (Oct 5)
-Complete drive to Naples and drop car. Ferry to Anacapri and spend 2 nights (Oct 6-Oct 7)
-Ferry to Sorrento and private car to Amalfi or Positano and stay 4 nights (Oct 8-Oct 11)
-Private car to Naples and high speed rail to Rome for 1 night (Oct 12)
-Fly back to Chicago (Oct 13)

For anyone who has experienced a similar itinerary or has knowledge of this type of travel, I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Does this sound like a reasonable undertaking?

Sincerely, Tim
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 06:59 AM

Hi Tim,

Any reason why you can't use your first day to travel to your first destination? As you're flying in from the US your flight will probably arrive into Rome at about breakfast time, and whilst you'd probably be to early to check into a hotel in Rome, you'd have plenty of time to travel onto Florence, by which time you could check into your hotel there, and have a nap or walk as the mood takes you.

that means that you wouldn't have to split up your time in Rome and you can put all your days there at the end of the trip, which is a more efficient use of your days.

My next point would be not to split up your stay in Tuscany - stay both nights in one place and use that as a base.

And Anacapri is a town on Capri - not a separate island.

if you like that idea, you would have a trip that looks a bit like this:

30 Sept - arrive Rome. Train to Florence [there are now direct trains from FCO, you don't necessarily have to go into Rome and change]. Stay 2 nights.

2nd Oct - pick up hire car and drive to ? Montepulciano - stay 2 nights.

4th Oct - drive to Naples, drop car [might be easier to drop it off elsewhere and get the train the rest of the way] ferry to Capri. Stay 2 nights

6th Oct - Ferry to Sorrento and transfer to Amalfi/Positano. stay 4 nights

10th Oct - transfer to Naples and train to Rome. stay 3 nights

13th Oct - fly home.

overall I feel that this is a bit bitty for me, and that I would be inclined to stay in Florence for 4 nights, [only gives you 3 days; 2 nights only give you one!] and use it as a base; you could do 2 days in the city and on the middle day do a tour of the hill towns, or Siena, or a winery tour or.....

Then I would get the train straight to Naples [no need to change in Rome] and then the ferry to Capri - that will probably be quicker than driving from somewhere in Tuscany and give you more time on Capri, where you only have 2 nights.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 07:36 AM

Your itinerary is certainly doable. There are so many variables to factor in when advising someone (like have you been to Italy before, do you expect to go back, is money an issue, do you prefer cities to towns/country, what are your interests, etc.).

As for myself, I would consider them as two different trips. Trip one would be Rome-Tuscany and Trip two as Rome-Amalfi Coast. Personally, I would choose the Rome-Tuscany trip and throw in Cinque Terre. Rome needs at least 3 nights as does Florence. Staying in and around Cinque Terre for 3 days (Like Santa Margareta Liqure) worked for us. Driving in the Tuscan/Chianti countryside and staying in small towns (Agritourismo's are great too) is fantastic and geared more to my liking. I always carry wine, fresh bread, cheese, water, sausages and nuts in my car at all times (Pack a knife and paper/plastic cups in your checked luggage). You never know when you want a picnic or just stop and take it all in without a crowd. If you are more specific to your likes, I can add additional thoughts. Good luck
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 07:57 AM

You could drop off the car [Hertz] at the Chiusi-Chianciano Terme rail station, close to Montepulciano. and take a train to Naples.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 08:45 AM

My initial reaction was that if you have never been to Rome before, IMO, it needs more than 1.5 days.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. It is correct that our flight will land in Rome before noon so, I understand the benefit of going straight to Florence from FCO and getting the Tuscan party started. My thought was that we wanted to get the most "touristy" part of our trip out of the way early and focus on the off-beat exploration for the rest of the trip. I am very comfortable driving manual transmissions on tight roads and in aggressive traffic, so I am looking forward to skipping trains and buses and using the car to get to some of the less toured vineyards, wineries, and country. If I ditch the car in Sorrento, what is the easiest way to get around to experience the towns of the Amalfi Coast? Is it simple to grab a ferry from town to town? We're thinking of staying in Amalfi for the 4 nights. And finally, is two nights on Capri (and staying in Anacapri) necessary? Would one night or a day trip with lunch suffice? Thanks so much for the time and thought already spent on these responses.

Respect.

-T
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 02:12 PM

Rome needs more time !
Skip it if you plan to give it jet-lagged days.
Old Jul 3rd, 2016, 06:29 AM

I would not want to drive on the Amalfi coast. If you do, make sure your hotel knows that you will have a car and can provide parking. There is a bus but using the ferries would likely be better. Check the ferry schedules as I believe the ferry schedules change in October (or might not be running).

I have not been to Capri, but the advice I have gotten is to stay over as it becomes far more magical when all the daytrippers leave Capri.

I agree with the others who have advised more time in Rome. We were there for 9 nights and felt like we did not even scratch the surface as far as what we saw.