Search

See northern lights,end of 2013: Norway/Sweden/Finland

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2013, 11:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
See northern lights,end of 2013: Norway/Sweden/Finland

Hi,
I am from India and wish to plan a trip to see the northern lights this winter.
We are in the intial stages of planning and need suggestions:

Time of travel : Sep to Dec 13 (can change based on suggestions)
Duration: 9 to 15 days.
No of people:2 adults.
Country: Norway/Sweden/Finland. [Alaska,Canada,Iceland etc are ruled out]

I have done some research based on which I need to know :
1)what places to choose in the above 3 countries ?
2)To reduce travel time, selecting 2 of the 3 countries might the best idea. If so, which two?
3)I have heard Norway is very expensive, is that so ?
4)Since I have no local contacts and shall be making all bookings from India, I have no idea what travel agents will be good in Norway/Sweden.
5) what should be the point of entry , if I travel from India?

I understand that spending 2 whole weeks doesnt really guarantee catching the northern lights. accepted . but would like to maximise my chnaces.
Also would like to visit a few local sights.

Please help me in planing my trip with your suggesstions ...
I shall continue with my research guided by your ideas...
Old May 23rd, 2013, 12:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you do a forum search for "Northern Lights", you'll get lots of useful threads that offer the info you want, although admittedly not from India. Are there no travel agents where you live that would arrange such a trip for you?

I can confirm that Norway is very expensive for most things, especially if you do drink alcohol.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 12:44 AM
Original Poster

Hi Rubicund,
Thanks for your reply... yes there are travel agents in India that we can use eg: thomas cook,cox and kings etc.. we often use thomas cook. We did enquire with many on a travel fair held in mumbai and came to the conclusion that Indians travel in scandinavia only in Summer and were discouraged by many to travel in winter. Though I will end up making the bookings from one of those travel companies, I wanted to prepare an itinerary first and then use them only for bookings.

What would be an average hotel room rent in , say Tromso, for a 3-star stay that includes breakfast(for2)?
Old May 23rd, 2013, 12:53 AM

You could look at a Hurtigruten trip. www.Hurtigruten.com.
Though it seems at first glance to be expensive it includes all meals and you cabin. You get to see the entire Norwegian coast from Bergen up. You could choose to do a one way trip, to save money or an up and back to Tromsø if you prefer.
I have been twice and seen the lights both times. However, because you are at sea/on the coast the weather tends to be cloudier than in land, but then again it also tends to be warmer! The crew will wake you if the lights are spotted in the night.

If you have special dietary requirements, such as being vegetarian, they will cater for you if you say at the time of booking.

Have a look at www.visitnorway.com too - you can get an idea of prices from there, and information on what you can see, and how to get around. Norway is very expensive though. Sweden and Finland are a little cheaper, but still expensive.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 03:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have a look at:

http://www.booking.com/searchresults...ity=1;src=city

for hotels in Tromso. Sorry it's such a long link
Old May 23rd, 2013, 10:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks hetismij2 and Rubicund. Shall spend some time on the various links and posts on the forum and shall get back when I have formed an itinerary.
Old Aug 9th, 2013, 06:13 AM

There are 2 companies I've been looking into ... haven't used them yet but they seem reputable. One is Mighty Fine (www.mightyfinecompany.com) and the other is The Aurora Zone (www.theaurorazone.com). We'll be in northern Sweden in the beginning of January. Hoping we're lucky enough to see the Northern Lights! Good luck!!
Old Aug 10th, 2013, 10:36 PM
ih

We went in December 2012 to tromso and abisko after having done extensive research.We booked all tickets, accommodation,activities on line.Well let me offer some tips which i have picked up from various forums and experts.
1.2 weeks is a very good time and as per the law of averages one should see the lights.

2.Tromso is very popular as there are a number of operators doing the chase every evening.We saw the lights 2 of 4 days close to the finnish border.
Abisko is unique as u have the aurora sky station.We stayed there but there are daily tours out of Kiruna in case u are not able to get lodging in the park.
I have not been to Finland but was told that IVALO is a nice base. The company aurora hunters has shifted to Lofoten this year.

3.September/october and Feb/March are the best months as per the experts.

4. Look for self catering options will reduce costs significantly.

5.I have been to ICELAND in summer. People prefer iceland as it has a lot to offer other than lights.Don't rule it out.

I am going back end December for 8 days to tromso and lofoten for the lights.
Old Aug 13th, 2013, 02:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you BarbaraMH and IH
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 11:11 AM

I completelly agree with ih. Iceland is beautiful, I have been there for 12 days. Its landscapes can not be found enywhere else, and as it is said, you have more chances there to catch the aurora borealis than at the countries you mentioned. (we were lucky to see it by the end of august(!) in the north part at Husavic for 2 nights) Don't rule it out.