Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Northern lights in Norway(budget):cut costs further to stay within $1000?

Old Sep 24th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip to Norway this winter to see the northern lights. I have just 5 days and 4 nights in Norway and would like to soak in as much as possible -- on a budget.

My plan is:

1. Fly in from and to AMS -- ~$240
2. Spend one night in Oslo - visit national gallery, Vigeland Sculpture Park, national opera (maybe), -- all free. Accommodation is around $50 (shared/hostel). I plan to shop in supermarkets for food and hence am hoping to keep it within $40. Plus another $30 for transportation. Total: $120
3. I am planning to mirror the 24 hour Norway in a nutshell tour (to see the Fjords and Bergen), by booking the tickets independently. Does anybody know how difficult it is to do so? Trains should not be a problem - what about the ferry? Do ferries run in winter? Booking for Jan 2013 has not opened as yet, but I am hoping I can do this within $120 instead of spending $200 on Norway in a Nutshell. Total: $120
4. Flight in and out to Tromso from Oslo~$240 .
5. Two nights in Tromso - including a chasing the lights tour (~$150), shared/hostel accommodation(~75x2), food/transport/sightseeing (~$100) Total: $400
6. Day in Oslo - food/sightseeing/transport (~50) Total: $50
7. Misc expenses ~$100

So the total is approximately $1270

Any suggestions on how I can cut expenses further? Any recommendations for good but inexpensive northern lights tours in Tromso? Is it worth it to go to Bergen in winter (good views from the train with minimal daylight??) or should I eliminate that part of the trip? Any other locations closer to Oslo or Tromso where I'd get a good viewing of the Fjords?

Thanks!!
Old Sep 24th, 2012, 04:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I am not good at budget travel but I will say Norway was one of the most expensive trips I ever took. The ferries are expensive and you should look into the fares. Hurtigruten is the company. I suggest you look at their website. Their phone line is VERY helpful too if you call. I did their tour last May combined with Norway in a Nutshell. The thing is, NIN is just a train/ferry ride so don't know how you could make it cheaper by "booking it yourself."

All that said, Norway is stunningly beautiful. A fodorite named Hetismij did a wonderful trip report on the Northern lights and I believe traveled with a budget. I advise reading her wonderful trip report.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ruten-long.cfm

Have a wonderful trip to this lovely country.

(Loved Bergen and Tromso...and the museums in Oslo - really, really wonderful. Vigeland is just joy.)
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

thanks gruezi!
Hurtigruten is indeed expensive and I plan to avoid it. By ferry I meant the local ferry from Gudvangen to Flam to check the Fjords.
I might end up just doing bits of NIN and spend more time in Bergen if possible to check out the fish market and museum. Still trying to find out what the winter hours are like.
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 07:09 PM

<i>. I am planning to mirror the 24 hour Norway in a nutshell tour (to see the Fjords and Bergen), by booking the tickets independently.</i>

As far as I know, there is no difference between the NIN package and the tickets purchased individually. The NIN package can be done in one day, either as a RT from Oslo, a one-way to Bergenor a RT from Bergen.
Old Sep 26th, 2012, 01:17 AM

If your main aim is to see the Lights then you need to get north asap rather than staying in Oslo which is too far south.
Bergen is pretty dead in the winter in my experience and though the train ride from Oslo is lovely I don't think it is worth you time or money to do it on this trip.

I did read that Transavia are starting direct flights to Evenes in Lofoten this winter, though it doesn't seem to be on their website yet. That may be a good way to go if you are mainly interested in the Lights.

Alternatively with Norwegian air you can fly into Oslo from Ams and back from Tromø. Norwegian are cheaper than KLM in any case I believe.

If you can read Dutch then look at Norske.nl who have a package to Lofoten, or BBI-travel.nl who also have some, including flights.

I think you need to budget more for food btw. It is very expensive and in the cold you will need to eat at least one good hot meal a day.

You can use Hurtigruten purely as a ferry of course, without the need to book accomodation or food on board.
Old Sep 26th, 2012, 06:23 AM

Your budget does not include food on days 2-3. You will have to add $40-120 per day for that considering the costs. You are probably underestimating food costs - a cheap meal in a restaurant will be $40+.
Old Sep 26th, 2012, 07:10 AM

You actually should consider the Hurtigruten. If you do a one way from Kirkenes to Trondeheim for instance and are happy with an inside cabin, and half board.
They are still offering early booking reductions on some full board trips too.
Have another look and see what special offers they have.

Alternatively if you are US based head up to Yellowknife or somewhere like that .
Old Sep 26th, 2012, 09:11 AM

Just my two cents... don't be disappointed if you don't see the Northern Lights. Norway is a great country and my wife and I enjoyed every minute of our 10 day trip. However, I'd never try to schedule a trip around seeing the Northern Lights, there's just no guarantee that you'll see them. I think your itinerary is generally fine, but not sure I'd spend the time flying to Tromso just in the hopes of seeing them.

FYI... we've vacationed in Alaska, Canada, Iceland and Norway all during the prime seasons for the lights and have never seen them. All of the trips were great, but had that been the focus of my vacation, I guess I would have been disappointed.
Old Sep 26th, 2012, 09:54 AM

Sorry to be discouraging but the college-age daughter of a friend toured Scandinavia this summer - supposedly on a budget. They were being really careful (hostels, picnics, etc) - and still had to have extra funds deposited to her account twice. She said anything to eat costs a fortune.
Old Sep 26th, 2012, 12:07 PM

And food will be even more expensive up north.
Old Sep 26th, 2012, 04:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, even compared to Sweden or Switzerland I found Norway shockingly expensive...
Old Sep 26th, 2012, 05:35 PM

Yes, shockingly expensive. It is a gorgeous country but you must be prepared to spend probably twice what you would in other non-Scandinavian countries. I don't want to discourage you from going, just be prepared.
Old Sep 26th, 2012, 05:42 PM

Yes, shockingly expensive. It is a gorgeous country but you must be prepared to spend probably twice what you would in other non-Scandinavian countries. I don't want to discourage you from going, just be prepared.
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all!

I made some changes to my itinerary based on suggestions and am now eagerly awaiting the actual trip!

I fly in to Oslo and then take a train to Trondheim the next day. Will take the Hurtiguten cruise from Trondheim to Tromso, spend a night at Tromso and then fly out to Oslo. Flights are all booked! On the lookout for a good deal on the cruise.

Detailed travelogue to follow after the trip!
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 08:16 PM

Bill Bryson has an account of spending (I think) 16 days in the small town of Hammerfest in northern Norway waiting for the Northern Lights to show up. Just as he gave up hope, they did. But obviously you can't command them to show up in a 4-night trip.
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 11:48 AM

Hi everyone!
I am also going to Norway (by myself), but I wont stay more than one week, this December (right before Christmas). Do you think going to Bergen is worthwhile this time of the year, or I should do the same as DarkMystique, because I really would like tho see the lights...

I am lost because, it's the first time that I am going so up to the North. (just to give an idea, I live in Brazil). So if you could help me with this planning too, I would be so grateful!

Thanks in advance,
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 04:19 PM

take lots of snacks, chocolates and protein bars to help ward off hunger pains and digging into your pockets. I haven´t been there fro decades, but my daughter and her boyfriend could not BELIEVE the prices on food. She wished they ad taken more no - perishables in their Ryanair carry-on.
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 05:27 PM

When we were in Bergen in June there were bike races taking place, looping the Bryggen area. We hung out watching the riders for awhile. There were dozens of helpers handing out protein/snack bars. They handed us like eight bars and I tried to return some but they handed us more. All I could think at that point was, yippee, we don't have to buy snacks for the next few days. Between that and our free breakfast and dinner at our hotel we handled the expense fine in Bergen.
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

I am back after a wonderful wonderful wonderful trip to Norway and before I write out my trip report - I would like to thank everyone for their inputs! I was hoping to do this leg in <$1000 and I pretty much achieved it if I ignore all the souvenirs I picked up along the way!

Day 1

The trip started with a flight from AMS->OSL after a spectacular but rainy night of ringing in the new year in Amsterdam. We took the train from Oslo airport to the Oslo train station which takes a little under 25 minutes and might seem a tad bit expensive at 90 NOK (avoid the private FlytoGet express train which is very similar in service but costs 170 NOK). Once we reached the central station we put our bags in the locker (50 NOK for a locker that can take in 2 cabin bags and 2 book bags) and set out to explore Oslo. It was dark, cold, and everything was pretty much shut - but it was beautiful with the holiday lights lighting up the Centrum. The Opera looked beautiful and majestic in the night. We even walked up to the Akershus Fort ( the castle is open only in summer and for guided tours on thursdays in winter) which stays open till 9 pm. However it was dark and eerie and since we were the only ones there..we did not stick around too long..
Once back at the Central Station - dinner constituted hot dogs and soda at Narvesen (a nationwide chain that has some decent ..maybe not so healthy food options like hot dogs, pizza, paninis, noodles etc.). At 20NOK for the hot dog (the fried onion and the special sauce are a great add) - it was the cheapest, delicious and definitely a filling meal we could find at that hour

At around 11pm - we boarded the train to Trondheim. It was an overnight 8 hour journey - but very comfortable and a great value for the price.

Day 2

We reached Trondheim station at around 7 am and went through the same drill as the night before (luggage in the locker - this time it was 10 NOK cheaper!), breakfast at Narvesen - coffee and a bolle at 25 NOK while we waited it out for day break. By 8:30 am we were all eager and excited to explore the old capital of Norway.

Trondheim is one of the most beautiful little towns I have visited. The cathedral is spectacular and has a very rich history (has the casket containing the remains of St. Olav, northernmost medieval cathedral, one of the largest organs ). After having seen the Koln cathedral just a couple of days ago..this cathedral drew me much more. Behind the cathedral - the Archbishop's house with its snow covered grounds and a magnificent view of the top of the cathedral seemed like perfect Shakespearean setting!

After a couple of hours at the cathedral we walked on the icy roads towards the Old Bridge - another spectacular view of the beautiful city with colorful picturesque homes on the water. I definitely want to go back in summer to check out the view - I am sure it is going to be as pretty but very different.

We then walked through the town and reached Rema 1000 (a supermarket chain) and stocked up on food for our next leg (fruit, meat, cheese, bread, and soda all for ~30 NOK/person) - the Hurtigruten Cruise to chase the lights!

It was a bit of an adventure getting to the ship since we crossed a patch that had no sign boards. But we finally made it with 15 minutes to spare and eagerly awaiting our journey into the far far north..

(further updates coming up)
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 10:31 AM

Can you post the details for the rest of your trip? Planning on taking a trip to Norway very soon! Thanks!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -