Norway - Sweden - Denmark during July

May 9th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Norway - Sweden - Denmark during July

Hello ! This is going to be a long post ! Thank you for reading and giving me advise.

First of all, I have no idea which place in Norway is nice. I just saw some photos of Alesund and Bergen and they looks awesome. I have no idea how many days should I spend in each city and the rough budget also how to travel between cities. I do know flights between cities is possible.

My plan is Fly to Alesund and travel to Bergen then to Oslo, Gothenburg and Aalborg.

Do you think this is a good idea for 14 days trip ? Will this be very very expansive ?

Alesund -> Bergen -> Oslo -> Gothenburg -> Aalborg -> London

Will this whole trip cost me GBP 1000 (travel + accommodation)?
I am travelling alone. I love taking photographs, so beautiful sceneries is a must, I am not a museum person. The purpose of this trip is to relax, take some photographs, meeting new people.

Advice please.
May 9th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Sorry ! I will be travelling in July as this is the only month I can apply for leave.
May 9th, 2013, 08:01 AM

Scandinavia is very expensive so you need to be prepared for that. It is also a wonderful place to visit and Norway, as you guessed, is beautiful. I would guess that it would be less expensive to travel to Bergen from Oslo than Alesund. How were you planning to travel from Alesund to Bergen?
To give you an example of costs, we had lunch in an nice café in Bergen, not an upscale place, two fish chowders, a beer and a coke, and it cost equal to $100.00 USD.
See if Hurtigruten ships, coastal steamers that stop at towns and cities along Norway's coast, have any deals for July. You can get on and off wherever you want, like a ferry. They have quite a few ships of different types and price points.
If you want to travel to a less expensive area in Europe,consider Portugal, Croatia or Greece.
May 9th, 2013, 11:55 PM

I live in Sweden Gothenburg and the cost to live and eat here is more half of the cost of Norway. I can really recommend Gothenburg its a nice and friendly city with lots of different activities.
So if you want to save money you shoud spend more time in Sweden then Norway.

/Yvette
May 9th, 2013, 11:59 PM

Sorry that should be *less then half the cost.
May 10th, 2013, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

@HappyTrvlr

I plan to travel by either train or flight between Alesund to Bergen. The reason I wish to fly to Alesund but not from Oslo is because I want to make this as a long trip, starting from the very north to south. I want to make the most of my holiday as possible as I am not European and I have limited time to stay in Europe, so I wish to visit as much places as possible.

Will the Hurtigruten ships takes longer time to travel between cities ? as in like if I travel by train or flight will be faster in a sense that i need maybe 5 days to visit this 2 places, where else i need 7 days to visit the very same 2 places due to the ferry journey.

@YwewY

Gothenburg is a must for me to visit. I saw the photo and I love. I've been to Stockholm and I love it too !
May 10th, 2013, 06:34 AM

http://www.norwaynutshell.com/en/exp...in-a-nutshell/

the Norway in a Nutshell loop from Bergen is fantastic - the absolute highlight of Norway IMO - train, bus, boat on Norway's largest fjord and thrilling mountain train - a great day out do not miss it!

for lots of info on Norway in Nutshell check out the official site above and for info on trains and boats in general check out www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com. The ScanRailpass could be a good deal for you - covering not only trains but many ferries either 100% or 50% off. Valid in all countries you are going to.
Jul 4th, 2013, 04:50 AM

ScanRail Pass holders I believe get significant discounts at some chain hotels in those countries I believe.
Jul 4th, 2013, 08:52 AM

You have chosen a good time to visit those countries. I visited there in July 2011 (during the Norway attacks) and had perfect weather. I do not like hot weather.

Norway is VERY expensive. I had to monitor my spending there more than I normally do. Renting a bike at Aero Island, Denmark, was a nice treat for me on such a lovely day. I stayed at: http://www.aeroeisland.com/bed-breakfast-toldbodhus.php. I also enjoyed Stockholm, Bergen, and this hotel in the mountains in Norway: http://www.ton.no/no/elveseter-kunst-og-kulturhotell
Jul 4th, 2013, 10:14 AM

Well it looks like this will be too late but I fear your budget is nowhere near what you will need for the trip you are planning - even staying in hostels and eating food from supermarkets.

But perhaps you have already found that out in making reservations.
Jul 5th, 2013, 09:30 AM

Scandinavia is more expensive than you could dream - bring anything you can from home - toiletries and especially booze which is taxed extremely high.