Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

See Kew Gardens and Hampton Court together?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2003, 11:23 AM
jon
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For some reason, I think I read somewhere that there are trips that go to Kew Gardens and then on to Hampton Court. Am I right about this? Would it be easy to see both of these sites in a long 1/2 day?
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 01:54 PM

We spent an entire day at Kew Gardens in March (including tube time from Victoria Station.) And this was on a sort of cold, rainy day, way before tourist season. I'd consider Hampton Court another 'day' trip. To combine them both in a long half day?? I really doubt it.

Enjoy London!
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 02:06 PM
dln

I can't tell you if there are trips doing both places in the same day, but I can tell you that you'd be shortchanging yourself if you did. Hampton Court takes quite a bit of time because there are the royal apartments to see, then walking the maze, then admiring the extensive gardens. I'd have hated it if I had to rush my way through it because of a tour schedule! I am not familiar with Kew Gardens. However, I suggest you go to the official website, which is www.hrp.org.uk, and you can get an idea of the time frame to see the everything. Hampton Palace's link shows what you can do in 1 hour, 2 hours, etc. Kew Palace, in Kew Gardens, is also part of this same website.

Old Aug 15th, 2003, 02:28 PM

I think that ferry boat that goes up the Thames to Hampton Court does first stop at Kew Gardens. So, perhaps in theory you could do both. The train would be quicker, though, I suppose.

Do both in a half day? that's absurd
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 03:19 PM

I would not combine these two places, each takes quite a bit of time to do them justice (altho I have to admit that Hampton Court is far more interesting to use then Kew Gardens was). It also depends on what time of the year you are going. I fyou are planning this trip in the winter, late fall or very early spring it gets dark early which can cut into sightseeing times. If it's winter figure it will be dark by 4:30-ish.
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 03:20 PM

We did it once. We were there in early Nov and the gardens were not so time consuming, nor was the garden in Hampton Court. If your time is limited, I think it is just as good to see as much as you can of each rather than just one.
We went to Hampton Court first, early in the day, after lunch to Kew, ending with tea at a place along the road that runs parallel to the Gardens. So it was a long day but quite enjoyable!
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 04:28 PM
Degas

Scarlett, great minds must think alike.

Yes, it can be done if you get up a little early and keep moving. Double check these times as they may have changed:

Leave from Waterloo on SW Train direct to Hampton Court Palace around 0830
Arrive Hampton Court around 0910

Take bus #R68 from Hampton Court Palace to Richmond at either 1200 or 1300

Lunch in Richmond

Tube (district) from Richmond to Kew Gardens

Tour Kew Gardens

Take Tube (district) from Kew Gardens back to London around 1730

And Scarlett is right about a good place for tea just outside the gardens.

Old Aug 15th, 2003, 06:12 PM

Why Thank you Degas!
We were aided in our trips by a friend who lives right next door to Kew Gardens. She drove us from the train station to Hampton Court then to Kew where we spent the rest of the day, then the train back to the city.
Cram as much as you can into your days!