Search

Second "base" in Normandy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Second "base" in Normandy

Hi all

I'm taking my Dad to Normandy for the 65th anniversary of the landings.

We will have some time in Paris before setting off for Normandy, and 5 nights total there. I've already booked 3 nights in Bayeux - my third time at this particular B&B.

For the two nights leading up to it, what would you consider as options?

I am considering a little more west, staying in perhaps Villedieu les Poeles for 2 nights, which would put us in striking distance to Mont St. Michel and St. Malo/Dinan, for instance. That would also make an easy drive to Bayeux, hitting many sights along the way.

Where have you based yourself in Normandy, and what was the attraction for you? Is Honfleur too close to make a good second base? I could consider that as well, but it would make the Mont St. Michel visit a long day before swinging back around to arrive in Bayeux.

Many thanks.

Old Jan 18th, 2009, 08:55 AM

Hi, flygirl (I owe you an email!)

We loved our second base in Fougeres. Last trip to Normandy we did three nights in Bayeux and 2 in Fougeres. Villedieu-les-Poeles is a sweet little town (especially for the copper pots), but Fougeres, I think, has a lot more to offer - fabulous public park, the largest fortified castle in Europe, great antique stores, nice restaurants and shops, and a wonderful fresh market (Saturday, I think - I'd have to check). And there are lots of equally interesting nearby towns.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

That sounds really lovely, thanks! I will check it out. Great call!
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 02:25 PM

Fougères is a good suggestion for a second base. You might also look into staying in Dinan, a very attractive town. Villedieu-les-Poêles is worth a stop, perhaps for lunch.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

lavendrye

Would you believe I've had lunch in Villedieu (it was POURING so I didn't tarry) and stayed in Dinan - this is almost 5 yrs ago now.

I'm psyched about Fougeres and the nearby sights, now that I've read about them.

This is going to be a great trip!
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 04:13 PM

Not that it makes much difference, but Fougères is in Brittany. It's one of my favorite towns in that area.

One practical matter: if your dad is elderly and frail, some of Fougères might be difficult, particularly the park about which StCirq rightly enthuses.

Villedieu is another town I like greatly, but I think most people would prefer Fougères.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 04:33 PM

I'm so envious!

A few years ago we rented a gite (apartment)in Honfleurin Normandy and it was a blissful experience!

Does your Dad like gardens at all? Perhaps a couple days in the countryside near Giverny? Or between Giverny and Rouen?

You could visit the home and garden of the French Impressionist painter Claude Monet. And Rouen is a delightful town with beautiful churches, lots of history (Joan of Arc was martyred there) and great restaurants and shopping.

Have a marvelous time. And I salute your father.

Old Jan 18th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Hi!

I should probably bring this up - my Dad was 3 at the time of the landings - he isn't a vet. Just a history buff!

So I wouldn't say elderly and frail yet. I just want to do all these things with my folks before that comes around.

Dad is hugely into gardening. I was hoping to take him to Villandry but I'm sure we will find other gardens. Giverny will probably be a stop on the way, too.

I'd also like to check out Provins but I haven't figured out if it's on the path to all the other things mentioned, or not.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 05:02 PM

You're so right - Fougeres is in Britanny, but still it makes a good base.

Agree about that park - though my elderly parents traversed it without any problems.

Be sure to visit nearby Vire.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 07:20 PM

Since your dad's a gardener, you might like a country B&B we stayed at last September at Landean, apx 15 min from Fougeres. It's called Les jardins de la Perouse de Mitan. The Renaults are really nice, M. Renault speaks English. Their garden is well designed and was full of flowers when we were there. He told us about his mentor's garden, open to the public, and we visited that too--apx 300' of dahlias in bloom! (I'll look up the name if you're interested.)

Juvigne and Saint Fraimbault are outstanding flowery villages, well worth a drive. In fact, Juvigne has been the all-Europe winner in the Villages Fleuri scheme.

StCirq is right that the market is Saturday in Fougeres. Ti Vabro is a good place for lunch. You can walk all over the town, from the park at the top to gardens down below.
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Cocquelicot, thank you, that looks perfect. I had started looking for B&Bs last nignt.

I found this, as their webpage:

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/la-perou...tagne-home.htm
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 04:57 AM

We based ourselves in Trouville and went back and forth to Deauville (Coco Chanel's hometown). They are both seaside, gorgeous villages. Excellent homebase for touring Normandy's coast. The ocean boardwalk in Trouville is so wonderful at night.