Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotels in Normandy (Caen, Rouen, Le Mont-St. Michele, & Alencon), France

Sep 30th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Jeanne

We are going to Normandy, France April 14, 2003. We will be there at Easter time including Good Friday at Caen & on Easter at Le Mont-St. Michele. Do you know of any nice hotels or B&B (no farms) to stay at Rouen, Caen, Le Mont-St. Michele, & Alencon? Also is there anything special for the Easter Holiday to do or see? Jeanne in GA

Sep 30th, 2002, 08:24 PM
Laurie

topping because I would like to know more about this region, also. We are considering staying for 2 days in Houlgate after a flight to Caen. Thanks for any information. Also,Jeanne, I was directed to this website which was helpful:
www.jack-travel.com/Normandy Laurie

Oct 1st, 2002, 03:44 AM
Michele

We stationed ourselves in Bayeux when we went to Rouen, Honfleur, Normandy, St. Malo and Mont St Michel. Nice size town and very centrally located. Plus there was the Bayeux Tapestry.

Oct 1st, 2002, 03:59 AM
JOdy

This website might be of some help

http://www.normandy-tourism.org/gb/06heberg/charm/hrcindex.htm

we chose to stay betwen the major places and drive to them each day by a circular route, seeing interesting towns and villages along the way, rather than moving everyday , thenhaving a "home" to return to each night.

Oct 1st, 2002, 08:16 AM
Andrew

In reply to Michele's comments:

I stayed in Bayeux a few weeks ago for two nights (at the Hotel Mogador, a modest place recommended by Rick Steves - it's a decent place, quite a bargain!). It is close to the American D-Day beaches and sites. But the town of Bayeux is a sleepy tourist trap in my view - sure it's a picturesque old town in the day time, but at night - good luck getting a meal after 21:30! By 8PM the sidewalks are empty except for a few lonely tourists and local kids riding their motorcycles around the streets.

Caen on the other hand I found much more interesting. Sure, a lot of it was bombed out during the war and rebuilt (though two abbeys remain), but it is a lively, interesting city (a university town). They even have a horse track - I wish I'd stayed long enough to see a race. And of course Le Memorial is there - a great WWII museum.

One more thing about Bayeux: I may be the only person out there who was disappointed with the Tapestry. Sure, it's fascinating to think how this thing was painstakingly woven to tell a story nearly a thousand years old, but once you see it...after a few frames, I was like, OK, that's it? Reading about the tapestry was more interesting than actually seeing it. I think the tapestry would be a great highlight of a larger museum, but it's not nearly enough to justify a visit to Bayeux in my view.

Andrew

Oct 1st, 2002, 08:20 AM
andy

Was in Normandy in July and stayed in
Bayeux at the Hotel d'Argouges. Excellent. Right in town, but not really! Nice rooms/nice people. Free
parking garage. Close to everything and
you can walk right out into the center of town. Don't miss the Tapestry. Check
it out.

Oct 1st, 2002, 10:47 AM
Rex

I put in a lot of time investigating options for the MSM area, Arromanches and Etretat - - and came up with one fair, one good, one great:

Outside Avranches (perhaps 20 minutes from MSM) Le Gue du Holm - - acceptable in most respects, but somewhat new, and lacking in charm or "life". Restaurant closed on Monday so I cannot report on that at all.

Service quite inadequate for breakfast on Tuesday morning.

All in all, mediocre.

In Arromanches, we stayed in the Hotel Chanteclair, which is 80 years old (or more?), though our rooms were in an annex building. I suspect that it was much newer (30 years?) - - it was constructed to look like it was an old carriage house or something, but I am pretty sure that it never was actually such a thing.

On a 1 to 5 scale (low to high), I rate it 4 for charm, 3.5 for location, 4.5 for value, and 4 for service (dinner and breakfast). The proprietor makes quite the effort, but he is an over-stressed, anxious guy who seemed to be too close to the end of his rope.

Final rating: good.

In Etretat, we had the three rooms of Villa Bligny - - barely a hotel, though we were allowed to have it on a two-night basis. It probably is usually weekly. It's an elegant century-old house, and the upstairs has a tenant on a year-to-year basis. The main house has two apartments downstairs with gorgeous antiques and all the modern conveniences you could want, including giant screen TV and towel warmers in the bathrooms. The third apartment is in a separate carriage house (seemed authentic - - I think downstairs it actually is the garage for the owners). Each apartment had a kitchenette, and though there was no oven, it was adequate to prepare a dinner for the four of us, since the weekly market in Etretat was that morning (Thursday).

If you want to stay there, keep in minid that it is not a hotel in the usual sense (no "front desk" - - that and breakfast, if you want it are at the Hotel de la Poste, 200 meters away). And it's moderately expensive 119 to 145 € per apartment - - which is still cheaper than le Donjon, also in Etretat - - and a much inferior location, in my opinion.

Charm: 5, Location: 4.5, Value: 4.5

Oct 1st, 2002, 01:07 PM
top it

toppers

Oct 2nd, 2002, 08:31 PM
Susan

In 2000, I used various guides including Karen Brown's and also just followed gites and auberge signs ( I was in a rental car) always had my own bath, usually in a farmhouse or modest hotel, and paid between 20 and $40/ nite. Bonus is the contact w/ "real" people who were invariably friendly & interested. Also I travelled Sept, and think you will have the same off season advantage of your pick of the places. Also2: Get to Mt S. M. EARLY to avoid the mobs, which ruined it for me.

Oct 2nd, 2002, 10:17 PM
Andrew

In response to Susan: I was in Normandy in September 2002, and both Bayeux and Caen were very full on weeknights. One couple from Seattle came to Bayeux without reservations and very nearly had to stay at the dumpy hotel at the train station. No idea what April is like, but I'd still make reservations a month or two early.

Andrew

Oct 3rd, 2002, 05:52 AM
KatWoman

The trip to Normandy and all it's sights is well worth it. Beautiful country side! The Mont was cool too! Have a great time.

Oct 3rd, 2002, 07:06 AM
Alexandra

Hi,

In September of Last year, we were at Mont St Michel, and we stayed at La Mere Poulard.
The room was average and a bit overpriced, but it was the only place that I could find in the Mont Itself.

We only visited the Mont at night, which was perfect as we avoided the mobs. At the time, it was possible to tour the ABbey at night, as they had special lighting, and classical music. It was very nice. You may want to check to see if the abbey will be opened at night during your visit. It was also very magical to stroll around Mont St michel at night, when it was quiet.
The next day we left at around 9:30 AM, just as the big crowds were arriving.

Alexandra

Oct 3rd, 2002, 06:15 PM
John

Just returned from Frace Sunday. I agree with Andy in his post. We stayed at hotel d'argouges and it was excellent. Downtown is just down the driveway and u can walk to all restaurants, shops, pastry shops etc. Also agree with Andrew in his post. The tapestry is disapoiting but I guess one must take time to see it. Make Bayeux your headquarters for D-Day beaches and tours and Mont st. Michel. Have a good trip.