Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Seating in the Royal Opera House and dress code?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking looking at attending the Royal Opera House while in London for a performance of Il trovatore. I was wondering:

a) anyone had any guidance on picking good seats for the venue

and

b) What can I expect in terms of a dress code (or, failing explicit rules, what is the average standard of dress I can expect). I mean, I wasn't planning on showing up in cut-off jeans and a t-shirt , but nor am I particularly enthused about the notion of packing formal wear.

If it is relevant, my schedule will likely limit my options to the opening night.

Thanks for any guidance anyone can provide.
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

A two minute examination of their website answered the second question for me.

PS Yeah, ok I should have taken a closer look at their website before I asked the question. My bad.
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 10:28 AM

I'm not sure the website DOES answer your question.

In the amphitheatre (known as "The Gods" in English), most people dress casually. Some fogies wear suits and ties - and fogies are neither rare at Covent Garden, nor looked down on. But "casually" means absolutely whatever you want to wear. Anything at all.

In the expensive seats (ie everywhere else), most men wear suits and ties, or sometimes national formal dress (like Nehru suits if you're from the Subcontinent). However, if you're from a subgroup that doesn't do suits and ties - like the fashion industry - hypersmart, impeccably tailored and fitting, cutting-edge fashion is OK. Jeans - unless worn by fashion gurus - are rare in the posh seats - but again, <b> perfectly OK as long as they're really, really, Via Montenapoleone standard, smart </b>

Formal evening clothes (Black Tie for men, long dresses for women) is unusual - though perfectly OK - except on opening night where it's probably the majority option, though increasingly less so.

If you're a corporate guest (sadly more and more the norm as the prices hit the stratosphere) just ask your host's secretary what everyone else (esp your host) will be wearing. Ultimately, though the only real code is: dress smartly, unless you're a particular sort of Briton, in which case wear a suit, however fusty.
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 10:36 AM

For most seats business casual (not slobish, but true business casual) is OK. (Jeans and sneakers are NOT business casual - at a minimum collar shirt, real trousers and actual shoes - with similar for women). But do try to stylish - at whatever level.

We would wear blazer, slacks and either collar shirt/tie or turtleneck, with a black silk or linen pantsuit for me.

If you're going with a group find out what the standard is.
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 01:14 PM
yk

Regarding &quot;good seats&quot;, it's obvious that the more expensive the seats are, the better the seats. So, the &pound;155 seats are the best, and those upper slip seats for something like &pound;7 are the worst.

On ROH's website, there is a &quot;camera&quot; logo when you're going thru the purchase, which lets you see what the view is like from each section of the ROH.

What's your budget?

I have been to ROH many, many times. You will find people wearing jeans (eg, folks who bought standing tickets) to people who wear tux and evening dress. I usually wear black wool pants and a cashmere sweater.
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 01:16 PM
yk

BTW, I have sat in Upper Slips seats many times when i was young, and I have sat in &pound;155 seats in the Orchestra stalls as well.

You get what you pay for.

If you have question regarding a few particular sections, you can post here and I can give you my 2 cents.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks folks. Obviously, flanneruk, you are correct, the ROH's website did not give me an accurate expectation of what to expect. Now I know and can pack accordingly.

In terms of seating, I was merely wondering if there was anywhere to avoid in particular. As to my budget, well, the Canadian $ is better vs the pound than it has in the last 20 years (at least), so I figure I will get the best seat that I can. No group or corporate outing, just little old me, on my first and very probably only excursion to London, so I will splurge.

Thanks again
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 06:09 AM
yk

If that's the case, I'd just the the most expensive seat you are willing to pay for. I would <u>stay away</u> from seats in the last row on the sides, becaause the overhang from the level above does obscure your view a bit - and also, at the end of the opera, your back will be sore from twisting to one direction for 3 hours.

Enjoy. I love the ROH and wish I could attend more often.