Seaside town near Rome

Search

Seaside town near Rome

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seaside town near Rome

Arriving on a Friday morning in Rome after overnight flight from LAX. Taking a cruise out of Civitavecchia on Sunday, in late Sept.

We would like to stay at a seaside town for the two nights to get over jet lag, and have lovely views of the water from outdoor cafe's, in an a/c place (if needed in Sept.)

Original thought was to go to Sorrento, but I think that would be pushing it in so short a time, and be more exhausting with extra travel involved and getting back to Civitavecchia on Sunday.

Any thoughts? We've been to Italy 3-4 times, have visited Rome for a week, so don't want to stay in the city this time Is the Port city a good place or is there another town between there and Rome?
Old May 12th, 2009, 09:19 PM

The seaside towns of Anzio and Nettuno are ideal for what you want, a short ride from the airport.
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:39 AM

Sperlonga is beautiful - just a little further south from Anzio and Nettuno. The sea is much more beautiful there and the town is charming.
Old May 13th, 2009, 01:03 AM

Hi MB - My suggestion would be Porto Santo Stefano - 45 mins north of Civitavecchia on the Argentario peninsular.

Here's a view -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/songbir...62640/sizes/l/

Steve
Old May 13th, 2009, 11:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi, Nancy. I suggest Santa Marinella which is only 10 kms. south of Civitavecchia. Back in the '50s, Ingrid Bergman and Roberto Rosselini had a villa there. Nearby Santa Severa is OK too and has a great Roman castle right at the water's edge. You can train to Civitavecchia from SM in 10 minutes and SS in 20 minutes or just take a cab.

The Argentario Peninsula is beautiful, but it's hard to reach without a car which is the only way I've been there. I know you can train to Albinia, but then you'd have to taxi (or bus?) onto the peninsula. It's about an hour from Albinia to Civitavecchia by train.

Actually, Civitavecchia is pretty interesting itself. You can tour part of the fortress designed by Michelangelo. There's an indoor fish market, an archeology museum in the town and a 19th C. theater.
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all the information, more than I expected and lots to choose from. In reading the hotel reviews, I'm not the first to want to get over jet lag by the sea. Now, too many decisions.

Hi Jean, was hoping you would see this too, as I know you travel Italy. Do you have any idea what a driver would cost to get to Santa Marinella from the airport?

I don't think we will be renting a car, or is the train a good way to get there without long waits and confusion?
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nancy, I can't help with the car service, but there are probably some companies on line that would provide a quote. Or you could wait until you've got your hotel reservation and then ask the hotel for information/help.

Your public trans options from the airport to Santa Marinella are train and bus. For the train, you'd have to go to Roma Termini on the airport express train and change to a train bound for Santa Marinella on the Rome-Pisa line. This would cost less than 20 euros total per person. There are two trains an hour from the airport, and then two trains an hour to Santa Marinella. You'd have about 30 minutes to change trains which is just about right. (I think the trains are easy, but let me know if you need more info.) There is also apparently bus service from the airport to Santa Marinella, but it takes longer and involves a connection. I couldn't figure out the fare for this route, but it's cheap. Link to the bus company:

http://www.cotralspa.it/ENG/Index.asp

I also meant to mention a hotel if you've got bags of money to burn. La Posta Vecchia is in Ladispoli which is closer to the airport. It's probably my favorite hotel in Italy, but I've only stayed there once and someone else was paying the bill!! What a place to recover from jet lag!!

http://www.lapostavecchia.com/index_eng.php
Old May 14th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Jean,

Great links. Wow, La Posta Vecchia looks like something I'd love to stay at. Looked at all the photos before clicking on the Rates. Oh well, one can dream. What a beautiful location. Lucky you, to have stayed there!

I do have some other questions. Do you have a hotmail or some other email where I could write you, since we are neighbors? If not, you could use my name above, using america online and type atdotcom in the address.

Good information about the train and transfers. Thanks.