Italy and ? for Christmas 2009

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am just in the beginning stages of planning a family holiday to Europe at the end of this year. I know winter is cold etc etc, but that is when we get our long school holidays so we are somewhat tied. We are an Australian family, Mom, Dad, 17 year old daughter who will just have completed high school and 16 year old daughter. Initial motivivation for this trip is that 16 year old daughter has decided to study Beginners Italian for her final 2 years of schooling and thought it would be a good idea to get a head start with a language course in Italy. Mum and older sister thought we may tag along.

So far I have been following up on language courses in Italy. Not many beginners courses running in December, but we are tied. Dad cannot get leave until Christmas Eve, so plan is we (Mom and girls) will head to Europe about 4th December, do a language course somewhere for 2 weeks or so and then head down to Rome where we will meet Dad on Christmas Day. Initial hopes to do a course in Perugia or Orvieto have been dashed, but it looks like we could do a course for 2 weeks from 7th in Florence. Classes in the morning and sighseeing in the afternoons. Weekend free for day trip - maybe Pisa or that general direction.

We then have just under a week spare before joining Dad in Rome. I am thinking perhaps heading by train to Orvieto for 5 nights. Using that as a base we can explore the town, visit Perugia and other nearby places(??)

On 24th December head to Rome for about 6 day. Then down to Sorrento for 3 days (Pompeii, Vesuvius, Isle of Capri, coastal scenery - or some combination thereof). Not sure if we will hire a car and drive or take the train. Any advice?

Then fly out of Rome to Venice for 3 nights. Then our international flight will give us a flight from Venice to Zurich which is our departure point in Europe for our trip home via Hong Kong. We now have 11 nights for ????. We do not ski, but Dad did think maybe 3 days in a ski resort could be interesting? We have previously visited the Lauterbrunnen Valley in summer, loved it, and dreamed of returning in winter - a possibility. Perhaps Lake Geneva - although have done Montreaux side previously in summer. Perhaps France. Elder daughter is a student of French, has been on exchange there and is hoping to major in French at university next year. She would like to show us Lyon (where she stayed on exchange). Dad favours the countryside .... somewhere .... and I think given it is winter we should probably head for Paris.

Yes I can hear you all saying - these people don't have a clue what they want to do. You are correct. I have tentaively booked the flights (good deal) but have to pay in 8 days, so I am trying to workout a rough plan. It is nearly 30 years since we were in Europe in winter, and am not sure where would be good to go in winter, or how best to travel (car? train?).

While I busily investigate this all I thought I would pick the brains of the wise souls at Fodors - all previous holidays with input from this site have been fantastic! Any comments on the outline of the Italian part of the trip? Where would you head with 10 odd days free either starting off in Venice or Zurich? Any great apartment reviews for any of these places?

I look forward to hearing your input. Thank you.
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:18 AM

Hi PRLCH - a couple of quick suggestions from another Aus. traveler.
Suggest you take the train from Rome to Venice - so very much more relaxing and easier.
And - for all that extra time - we have often visited Europe in winter with our children and have found that they loved - Salzburg, Rothenburg, Regensburg, Verona - and similar towns with gorgeous castles, city walls, great little cafes, places for the girls to shop and delightful hotels that are not too expensive in winter.
As well you might like to Google 'Austrian/Swiss Alps hotels with indoor/outdoor pools' - I did this a few weeks ago and lots of great places turned up for a few days of snow experiences for non skiers.
The prices were good too.
We have always traveled by train - we don't think winter is the time to learn to drive on the 'other' side of the road!
We like a mixture of apartments and hotels - gives us times with a bit more space and laundry facilities, and other times when the parents don't have to do all the cooking!
It is cold but it is wonderful - and not such big crowds.
A must do for all of you is the Borghese Gallery in Rome.
Sorry - but we haven't done a lot of French travel.
Have a great time.
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:28 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Have you looked at this school in Siena? The might have the dates you want.
http://www.saenaiulia.it/learn-itali...iena-italy.php
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:32 AM

I can't give much advice about being in Europe in winter, as I spend winter in Florida. (that's what I think of winter.) However, of all the places I have been in Europe in winter, I love Salzburg. Try not to miss Salzburg. As far as transportation, take the trains !
Old May 13th, 2009, 05:38 AM

I love Rome at Christmas time. We'll be back again this year after taking a one year hiatus. If you are interested, on Christmas Eve, do the midnight mass at the Pantheon, it is amazing.

Doing the train to Venice may well be easier than flying and not much time difference when you figure in all the security, waiting, etc.

dave
Old May 13th, 2009, 09:19 PM

We're from Melbourne, and spent December 08 and January 09 in Venice and loved it. Here's trip report that might give you some clues. Lou, my wife, attended Italian language classes for a few days. You might give yourself a little more time in Venice - it is just lovely, and really worth while taking an apartment. Definately take the train from Rome to Venice. It's dead easy.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...st-verbose.cfm

Your kids might enjoy:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-teenagers.cfm

Here's where we stayed:
http://realvenicevacationflats.com/
Old May 13th, 2009, 09:53 PM

Also a Trip Report posted by annhig (from Cornwall or Wales, not sure which) but it's worth a look and has lots of good info.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...and-we-saw.cfm
Old May 14th, 2009, 08:12 AM

Weather around 14°C at Christmas time down here on the Sorrento coast.
I've just downloaded a Christmas at Sorrento video on YouTube, enter JJAMV for a little taste of an Italian Christmas.
Old May 14th, 2009, 08:24 AM

Went to Italy for the first time Dec. 2008 (tour). I will investigate more winter travel. Loved it. Rome was about 42 degrees. As we went north, it was colder. When we were in Sorrento, it was about 50 degrees. The tour was about 1/2 the usual peak season size. The museum in Florence (David) had a few people there. The museum guide said that during the summer, you cannot get near the statue. Also, if you are interested and in Rome Dec. 24, you might want to investigate getting tickets for Christmas Eve mass at the Vatican.
Old May 14th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the great responses. I will try to digest it all over the weekend.