Reload this Page >

Scottish Wedding

Search

Scottish Wedding

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 06:23 AM
Rhonda

Scottish Wedding

My sister and her husband (Americans) are renewing their wedding vows (20th Annv.) this summer in Scotland at the ancestral church of her husband's family. Since she has been planning this for 3 years, she has given me 6 months notice that I'll need to give a toast at the reception. I would love to include something Scottish - a phrase, tradition, etc. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 06:31 AM
AnnaC

I'm afraid not, but try posting a message on the Hitched wedding forum. Someone there will help you, I'm sure.<BR><BR>http://www.hitched.co.uk/nforum/FORU...dding+planning

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 06:32 AM
AnnaC

Sorry, I forgot to say that Hitched is a UK wedding site. There are lots of Scottish brides on there and I'm sure someone will have a suggestion or two.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 06:51 AM
James

After toasting the Happy Couple,you can offer this Traditional Scottish Toast to everyone when you raise your glass. &quot;Here's Tae YE Wha's Like Us Damn The Yin&quot; Wha's is pronounced as Whaw &amp; Ye is prounced as Yay.The complete interpretation as follows. Her's To You Whose Like Us Not A One

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 12:43 PM
Sheila

As you will find out, Scots rarely agree; that toast is &quot;Here's tae us. Wha's like us? Gey few, an' they're a' deid&quot;<BR><BR>Same translation except the end is &quot;very few and they're all dead&quot;<BR><BR>I suggest you look at Burn's &quot;Tae a Louse&quot;, which is, contrary to expectation a love poem. Or given the context, &quot;John Anderson, my Jo&quot;<BR><BR>I'll give this a bit more thought. Just out of nosiness, whereabouts is the wedding?