etiquette question for destination weddings

Old Jun 4th, 2004, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
etiquette question for destination weddings

I have an etiquette question for destination weddings. If my fionse and I are going away with a small group of 35 people to get married in the Carribean, but would still like to have a celebration back home with family and friends not at the destination. Is it more appropriate to throw the celebration party before or after the destination wedding?
Thanks
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 07:34 AM

I've always seen it done after.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 07:37 AM
E

I've also only seen it done afterwards...you could also try asking at TheKnot.com. Good luck (wedding sounds great!).
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 07:42 AM
GoTravel

Since it is a celebration of your marriage, you would throw the party after you get married.

You could have an engagement party beforehand.

You realize that if you are having 35 guests at a destination wedding, you MUST have some kind of refreshments for them after the wedding. It can be as simple as cake and coffee but it would be in poor taste to do nothing.

Old Jun 4th, 2004, 12:18 PM

If you have it before, what happens if you get cold feet and don't end up getting married?
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 12:37 PM

Mike you big romantic you. Bet raising that potential issue at before your own nuptials went over real well.

Have it after you return. This way, you can show photos of the ceremony. The alternative of course is to have a Jack&Jill shower before you leave and skip a celebration after you return.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 10:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - I like the idea of the jack and jill shower. We were trying to avoid a big wedding, which I never would have been able to do in my hometown so we are taking the most important people in our lives away for our wedding and a vacation. We will definitely have a reception for the 35 people at the island. But its an island wedding so my guests can wear flip flops if they choose. I wanted to spend real time with the most important people in my life. Brides just never have enough time at big weddings.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 03:25 PM
GoTravel

josey, I had my wedding reception the day after my wedding because I only wanted immediate family at my wedding.

Being that my husband and I were older than younger newlyweds (me 30 he 40 at the time) and professionals (me sales him restauranteur) and knew a lot of people, we had to keep it small because of the people we would have had to invite. Also being older, we did not want any wedding gifts. Having restaurants is akin to being a politician. No lie.

We got married on Friday in front of 35 members of our immediate family and had the reception the next day for 250 people.

I really enjoyed that because I got to enjoy my husband instead of having to entertain at my reception.

By the next day, we were thrilled to be able to see everyone that turned out.