Scottish Highlands

Search

Scottish Highlands

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2004, 11:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scottish Highlands

What rating would you give the Scottish Highlands (between 1 and 10) and why?

Old Aug 30th, 2004, 04:21 AM

the only reason they don't get 10 is because of the midge.

Scenery, History, Culture, Grandeur, Music, People, Weather, Accesibility,

(I may have run out....)
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 06:24 AM

As compared to what? Out of all the places to see in Scotland, a 9. I preferred some of the islands only a tiny bit more, but I definitely think it was one of the highlights of our trip. HTH.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 06:31 AM

A l0!...easy!..........The beauty, the ruggedness, openess, softness,..a lovely relaxed, fresh aired area!
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 06:50 AM

It's a solid 8. The history is great (but not quite as great as Rome). The scenery is fabulous (but not quite as fabulous as Switzerland). The food is good (but not quite as good as Italy).

So what makes it such a great place to be? In a word, the <b>people</b>. Far and away the nicest, most helpful folks I have ever encountered anywhere.

If you want a trip filled with fresh air and fresh faces (and a wee dram of whisky too), get thee to the Highlands!
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 07:25 AM

I've always wanted to vacation in the Scottish Highlands - now your high ratings have convinced me we should go next year. Possibly one week in the Lake District and one in the highlands.

If we would like to stay for a week in one place in the Highlands and take daytrips/hikes, where would you suggest?
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 01:36 PM

I give it an eleven.
We just started planning our return trip for next Spring (first trip was in 2002). Scotland just blew us away. We stayed a number of days in Fort William and used it as a base for travel to Skye, Inverness, Cawdor Castle and Loch Ness, etc. The town itself is nothing special but is conveniently situated; and the reason we want to go back is because of the place where we stayed, The Grange (www.grangefortwilliam), and its proprietress, who could not have treated us better. In fact, we have kept up a correspondence with her since returning home. It's listed in Karen Brown's Guide and a number of other travel books, gets good reviews on Trip Advisor (www.tripadvisor.com), and has a five-star rating from the Scottish Tourist Board. We're going to see Edinburgh and stay in Aberdeenshire and somewhere above Inverness, but will finish the trip off with four days and nights at The Grange.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 01:53 PM

Janebell

Give me some more information about your likes and dislikes and I'll try to recommend somewhere