Reload this Page >

Scottish Attractions

Search

Scottish Attractions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 1998, 01:16 PM
Roger Johnson

Scottish Attractions

We are going to Scotland during the second week in May. Given that we have only a week and want to spend it north of Edinburgh & Glasgow, can you make some "don't miss" suggestions as visitor attractions. Also does anybody know anything about The Waltzing Waters in Newtonmore?

Old Apr 30th, 1998, 01:15 PM
Murphy

We were in Scotland last week, and it's a beautiful country. Be sure to see Edinburgh (Castle, Royal Mile, Holyrood), but you can skip Glasgow. North of Edinburgh is Stirling - great castle and monuments to William Wallace. This time our tour took us to the west, to Oban and Mull and Iona. Let me know if you would like any info on those places. A similar route would take you to Fort William, Inverness, -- you'll love it all. The scenery in the west is varied and beautiful. We were on one lane roads where we had to wait for sheep and Highland cattle to move, where we would see just an occasional house along a loch. On a previous trip we spent more time there (only 3 days on the road & 3 in Edinburgh for a wedding this time and we thoroughly enjoyed everyplace we saw. Except Glasgow. E-mail me for more info, if you'd like, and enjoy your trip! Dress warm, bring the umbrella.

Old May 2nd, 1998, 05:19 AM
Beverly

Hi: Saw your e-mail on Scottish attractions. Hope you don't mind that I e-mailed you for some info. We are leaving on May 29 for two weeks in Scotland. The first week we plan to drive around the Highlands from Glasgow, Oban, Inverness, etc. The second week we'll be in Edinburgh and touring from there. Any suggestions, especially for the Highlands, Oban, Mull, Iona, would be greatly appreciated. Do you know of any great little B&B's there? We are renting a car and traveling independently. Thanks in advance.
Beverly

Old May 6th, 1998, 09:31 AM
Molly Donnelly

Hi! Saw your email about Scotland. We've been here for 2 months now and have found a gem of a book called Scotland the Best. It has the best restaurants, attractions etc you can find in Scotland. (Particularly, Edinburgh and Glasgow) You can get the book at the book store in Waverly Station Mall or any Waterstone's or James Thins book stores. Just went Linlithgow Palace this weekend. It's about 30 minutes out of Edinburgh and is the birthplace of Mary, Queen of Scots. It also has some of the most spectacular scenery we've seen yet. Also liked Stirling Castle, Wallace Monument and Bannockburn. Loads of history! If yo want shopping, I've heard that Glasgow is better than Edinburgh. Glasgow has more high end shops. good Luck!

Old May 6th, 1998, 09:33 AM
Molly Donnelly

Hi! Saw your email about Scotland. We've been here for 2 months now and have found a gem of a book called Scotland the Best. It has the best restaurants, attractions etc you can find in Scotland. (Particularly, Edinburgh and Glasgow) You can get the book at the book store in Waverly Station Mall or any Waterstone's or James Thins book stores. Just went Linlithgow Palace this weekend. It's about 30 minutes out of Edinburgh and is the birthplace of Mary, Queen of Scots. It also has some of the most spectacular scenery we've seen yet. Also liked Stirling Castle, Wallace Monument and Bannockburn. Loads of history! If yo want shopping, I've heard that Glasgow is better than Edinburgh. Glasgow has more high end shops. good Luck!

Old May 6th, 1998, 04:37 PM
raeona

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Glasgow. Perhaps it's a matter of tastes. I suggest you do a search for Glasgow on Dogpile, or whatever, and get a feel as to whether it's appealing or not. We were there quite a few years ago, and didn't get a chance to explore G., but I would have liked to...and have ready interesting things about it in the interim (not least, Charles Rennie Mackintosh). Edinburgh, of course, is also worthy of a fair amount of attention....It's a beautiful country....you'll love your time there. Also: South of Edinburgh, near Letham , by Ladybank/Fife, we happened on the Fernie Castle Hotel -- on one of those "frost-in-the-front-seat, is-this-going-to-be-the-night-we-strike-out-and- sleep-in-the-car" marital days on the road -- what a magical find!!! It just kind of came up out of nowhere, on a stretch where there seemed to be nothing else at all in terms of lodging. Beautifully done inside....just a delight. Now this was a good 10 years ago, so you might want to do some research as to whether the quality is as good.

Old May 6th, 1998, 04:55 PM
Robin Blum

I just saw your message about Scotland. We will be in Great Britain for 2 and a half weeks in July and want to spend it in Northern England (York area) and Scotland. We would like to do some walking and some sightseeing. I am at a total loss as to how to divide my time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Robin

Old May 6th, 1998, 06:23 PM
Gary

We are going to Mull, Iona and Skye next week. Any suggestions on B&B, scenic or historical attractions, or restaurants? Thanks