Reload this Page >

IS AMERICAN good Airline to London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 1998, 10:49 AM
Gordon

In a few months I will be flying from Chicago to London economy class on American Airlines. Is American a good airline for this route. How is the food, entertainment, service ect.... . I would be pleased to hear your experiences on this airline. ALSO: I will be using frequent flyer miles for this flight. Since you can usually get cheap fares to london, is it worth it to use the miles and upgrade to Buisiness class. PS: If American merges with British Airways, could I use my miles on British Airways. Would you recommend British Airways oppossed to American?

Old Apr 21st, 1998, 07:11 AM
julie

I have flown American from Chicago to London numerous times. The flights have always been crowded and cramped. But service ok and time of arrival usually ok. I sometimes pick up a BA connection in London and can tell you that British Airways uses the same 767s as American but squeezes a lot fewer people into them. Legroom and angle of seat much nicer on BA.

Old Apr 24th, 1998, 05:26 PM
Marty

I agree with the previous message and would suggest BA for an economy flight with your criteria. But first check the month you'll be travelling it may be worth using the AA miles.

Enoy

Old Apr 26th, 1998, 05:34 PM
doc

I have flown Dallas to Paris roundtrip on AA and swore I would NEVER set foot on another AA flight. We were horribly cramped and were treated with what seemed to be distain by the attendants. One guy conplained about the lack of service and was threatened with comments of meeting a US Marshall when we landed. Never in my life has 14 hours seemed so long.

Old Apr 26th, 1998, 05:35 PM
doc

I have flown Dallas to Paris roundtrip on AA and swore I would NEVER set foot on another AA flight. We were horribly cramped and were treated with what seemed to be distain by the attendants. One guy conplained about the lack of service and was threatened with comments of meeting a US Marshall when we landed. Never in my life has 14 hours seemed so long.

Old May 1st, 1998, 09:08 AM
Dawn

I flew from JFK to London in the fall and had no problems at all. We flew on one of the planes that the seats went 2 by 4 by 2 (we sat at the 2) We each had our own tv's and the food wasn't bad. I don't think I ever needed to talk to a flight attendant so I don't know how they are, we just kept to ourselves. Put it this way we got there safely and I guess that is the most important thing. We are flying BA to Paris in a few weeks (AA was booked)People always have differnt opinions about airlines I guess. I just want to the one that will get me there in 1 piece.

Old May 1st, 1998, 12:06 PM
Nancy

Taking a flight is more than expecting to land in one piece. When you purchase an air ticket, the high price of the ticket is paying for salaries of its staff, from the booking department to the pilots & flight attendants on the plane, the food served on the plane, to the maintenance cost of the planes, and much, much more... An airline distinguishes itself by offering the highest overall quality it can offer, over other airlines. If you are paying them money, they better fly you in one piece. That should be a given. The important factors, besides saftey, are quality of service they offer (not just on the plane) and how efficient/well organized their system/company is. Because airlines are so big these days, you may encounter staff who are unpleasant or misinformed, here and there. If a problem arises, how well do they take care of it? There is no excuse for a flight attendant to be rude and make you wish there was another nicer attendant to help you. From traveling frequently between the US and Europe, I have found non-US airlines to be the best for these flights. Airlines, such as British Airways, Lufthansa, and many more, are a lot more professional and understand the true meaning of the term "service". I think US airlines are good for domestic flights, and I always use them for domestic flights. However, when it comes to international flights, they seem to forget that we are no longer on a domestic flight. And for some reason, their service on the whole, is even worse than on a domestic flight. So, FYI, American Airlines is the last airline I choose to fly with, on an international flight.

Old May 1st, 1998, 03:12 PM
Joe

American is an average airline to london, not anything special, just average

Old May 3rd, 1998, 10:45 AM
DK

American airlines is not a good airline at all.

Old May 3rd, 1998, 10:35 PM
Tricia

Hi, I help answer questions in the website EUROTRIP (www.eurotrip.com- Cheap Flight Forum) Come in and visit us. We'll answer your question as best we can and often post specials to Europe as we constantly get e mails from airlines and travelclubs as well as scan the newspapers. WE also have the able assistance of a professional travel agent who uses his computer to see if he can find you a lower fare. The posters in this "thread" are correct. DO NOT fly an American Airlines to EUROPE if you are looking for service, good food etc. British Air, KLM (Royal Dutch Airlines) Lufthansa etc are all good. Good luck! Come Visit us!! Tricia, Southern California!~

Old May 4th, 1998, 04:35 AM
karen

If you're traveling in high season, trading miles for the flight is probably worth it; in the wintertime, flights are so inexpensive. We are British Air fans and BA frequent flyers and especially like the 777 aircraft. Even coach is OK (configuration is 3-3-3, vs. 3-4-3 on some other lines). Everyone we've encountered on the BA staff (check-in, gate, crew, etc.) has always been MORE than professional - we have been very impressed. Also flew SAS a few years back--it was a terrific flight.

Old May 4th, 1998, 08:18 AM
CK

American Airlines is not a good airline at all. Instead I enjoy flying United's 777 aircraft (the configuration is 2-4-2)very confortable, better than BA!

Old May 5th, 1998, 06:34 AM
pskeen

I've flown international several times, and Virgin Atlantic is my favorite.

Old May 5th, 1998, 06:35 AM
pskeen

I've flown international several times, and Virgin Atlantic is my favorite.

Old May 6th, 1998, 06:41 PM
dale

I am nearly forced to travel AA because of limited alternative service. Even though I have lots of air miles on AA, I would not ever recommend them if there is an alternative. British Air and Luftansa have more leg room and actually treat you in a complimentary manner. The flight attendants on American's international routes have been flying so many years that they seem to expect you to serve them. I keep thinking I'm getting "just a bad lot" but the next flight is always the same.

To their defense, AA is not too bad if you can afford to upgrade to at least business class. There, you actually get real leg room, food that is at least acceptable, and you might get a smile. The contrary was true on a recent London flight when I sat in coach class. I felt ashamed of myself for flying coach, as if I were some impoverished peasant. Well, thats the way I was treated anyway.