Scotland - Itinerary - Short Visit outside Edinburgh

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2006, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if someone could give us an idea as to whether this is "achievable". We are going to Edinburgh and London England in September 2007. Our intention of this trip is to see both those cities in detail. However, we also want to get a taste of the other areas of Scotland. So we land in Edinburgh at 10:30 am and are renting a car. We were thinking of driving up to Inverness on the A9 and see the places along the way. First question: how long would that take? Then we were thinking of staying 2 nights in Inverness and use it as our base. Second Question: what is worth seeing in Inverness and area for 1 full day? Then we were thinking of leaving the next day and going through Loch Ness to Fort William then to Loch Lommand and then back to Edinburgh. Third Queston: How long would that take and is that "duable" in a day?

Fouth Question: are these roads very twisty?

Thank you in advance for anyone's assistance on getting to know if this would work or is it just pushing it.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 07:26 AM

I assume if you're arriving at 10:30 AM, it will be from an overnight flight. Jetlag and sleepiness are not ideal conditions for driving in a strange country. Plus if you're coming from the US or Canada, it will be on the other side of the road. Do everybody a favor and stay in Edinburgh for a few days, touring there and getting over your jetlag.

For planning a driving trip in Britain, I use the web site www.multimap.com. I've also been looking at www.theaa.com, as I'm planning a trip in northwestern Scotland. I am having a hard time getting consistent drive times. These two seem to vary quite widely. I suspect that's an accurate reflection of the driving conditions.

Finally you might want to invest in a guidebook or two, or get them from the library so as to get an idea of what you might want to visit in Inverness and along your way.
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 07:31 AM

" Our intention of this trip is to see both those cities in detail."

Why not see Edinburgh first and then do a short tour of Scotland, return the car in Edinburgh or Glasgow, whichever is more convenient and continue to London? That would avoid driving under jet lag.
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your responses. We are coming off a long flight you are correct however we are celebrating this vacation and going "Club World" with a fully reclining bed. We hope that will help. Also, my husband drives on the "other side of the street" every year as he goes to Cyprus. So we are ok with that. We understand your concerns. Thank you.
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 08:08 AM

Notwithstanding your answer I'd be inclined to do the Edinburgh bit then the trip, but, it's your choice.

> First question: how long would that >take?

Less than 3 hours without stops. It's fast road. A lot of it is dual carriageway, and some of the scenery is pretty top. I still wouldn't do it.

PLEASE don't stay IN Inverness. It's an absolutely nothing town. It has a pretty location, but there are so many nicer places round about. If Inverness is your thing, then try Culloden House (I'm assuming things about your budget from your Club World beds)

> what is worth seeing in Inverness > and area for 1 full day?

Depends. What sort of things do you like?

> How long would that take and is that "duable" in a day?

Mmm. It's doable, but it's long. 5 hours' driving I'd say: maybe more

>are these roads very twisty?

Some of them. The bit from Arrochar up to Crianlarich is hell on earth (maybe not in daylight in September), and I LIKE driving on Scottish roads.

Have you decided some of these things are "must sees", or would you like some input?
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Sheila, lots of input is great. We are just in the initial stages of planning. We don't need to go to Inverness. Actually we are coming to that opinion that there may not be much up there. If you were to consider our itinerary, where would you recommend us to drive and see? I appreciate your comments on "windy - hell on earth". I have problems when things get too windy. So please keep that in mind. Thanks in advance, Sheila. You have been helpful.
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 08:35 AM

So? What do you like?
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Sheile, dramatic landscapes, quaint villages, historical sites. We are staying 3.5 days in Edinburgh. We were thinking of training it one day to Glasgow. Hope this helps.
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 09:09 AM

OK then, I would propose you the following.

Leave Edinburgh airport and go west to the M8/ M9 junction; take the M9 and go as far as Linlithgow. See the palace and have lunch. That should have you leaving Linlithgow about 3pm. Stay north on the M9 then the A9 past Stirling (option- visit castle/ Bannockburn battlefield) and Dunblane (option- visit Doune Castle), then past Perth (option- see Perth- ancient capital of Scotland), and on to Dunkeld. Stay at Kinnaird House, or Dunkeld House (or the Atholl Arms). Walk round the village in the evening. Stop in at the Taybank pub and see if they're doing live music.

Next day, drive on to the turn off at Ballinluig, and drive west to Aberfeldy- worth a wee wander round- cross the river and go northwest into Glen Lyon- now these roads are a bit windy. But you don't have to be in a hurry, and the views and scenery are worth it. Drive all the way up Glen Lyon-stop at Fortingall and see the yew tree and Pontius Pilate's birthplace- and at Brig o' Balgie turn south and cross over the shoulder of Ben Lawers onto the north side of Loch Tay. The view from the top is stunning.

When you reach the lochside, turn right- west again- and pass through Killin- stop for the Falls of Dochart, and on west through Crianlarich, and Tyndrum, taking the left fork signposted to Oban. Keep going to Dalmally, then turn left down the side of Loch Awe- stop to take photos of Kilchurn castle- and stay the night in Inveraray.

Next day, go south through over the Rest and Be Thankful to Arrochar on Loch Lomond. Turn right, and go down to Dumbarton and then drive to Glasgow. Now, if you REALLY mean to spend a day in Glasgow, I'm tempted to tell you to drop your car at the airport, take a taxi or a bus into the town, check into a nice hotel, and do your sightseeing the next day before getting the train back to Edinburgh.

Email me for Glasgow and Edinburgh bits

Old Oct 29th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Sheila, you have been a great help. We were not planning on going to Glasgow with the car. One of the 4 days in Edinburgh, we were thinking of taking the train. Someone told us that was easy. I will e mail you. Many thanks.
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 09:28 AM

I appreciate that, but if you do a loop finishing in Glasgow, that could be a good place to leave the car, and then you just get the train back through when you're done.
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 11:14 AM

First, Sheila knows that I use the train when I am in Great Britain and I do enjoy it. Having said that, you can do no wrong in following her suggestions. However, just as a thought, take the train from Edinburgh and then the one up to Oban. Great scenery! Spend the night, do a ferry to MUll and retrack your steps.
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 12:42 PM

we drove from Callendar (40 miles or so from Edinburgh) to Inverness, saw the fort and Culloden battlefield, went back along Loch Ness and did it all inn one long day.