Scotland Itinerary Help

Old May 16th, 2022, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotland Itinerary Help

Hello Everyone,

Thank you in advance for any help you can give. A friend and I are visiting Scotland in September with 10-11 nights planned. We are currently flying in and out of Edinburg but that is still open so if it makes sense to fly in and out somewhere else that's fine. We will rent a car once we leave Edinburgh and we have experience driving in Ireland so we are used to it a little bit. I was hoping you would be able to give me feedback on the itinerary below and also any suggestions you have on lodging. We tend to prefer staying in B and B's and local sites than chain hotels. We aren't set on the number of nights so if we need to move them around we can. We really just wanted your thoughts on feasibility, need more or less nights here or there, etc. Thanks everyone!Edinburg (2 nights)

Glencoe and/or Oban (3 nights)

· Rannoch Moor, Lock Lommond and Park, Isle of Mull and Staffa, see Fingal’s Cave (tentative ideas)

· Kilmartin standing stones and passage graves

Isle of Skye (but open to other island ideas that are feasible, 3 nights)

· Wanted to see the Fairy Pools but flexible if you have another suggestion

Pitlochry (1-2 nights)

Drive back to Edinburg, 1 night, leave am out of Edinburg

Old May 16th, 2022, 08:29 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Random comments / thoughts / questions:

Please clarify -- '10-11 nights planned' -- On the ground in Scotland or total duration of the trip? Since you haven't booked the flights yet is it that you haven't settled on exactly how long the trip is.

As for where to fly in to either GLA or EDI works just about equally well. Very best would be open jaw in to one and home from the other.

Being in Sept will help re Skye and Edinburgh (a LOT) since the worst of the crowds will have cleared out by then.

I'd seriously add at least one more night to Edinburgh . . . especially if it is your arrival city. 2 nights, and with jet lag, would barely net you one day. I'd do a minimum of 3 nights in Edinburgh (note the spelling)

Are you planning on a lot of hiking in and around Glencoe? If not, 3 nights might be 1 night too many since - unless you end up lengthening the trip. If you can get in I highly recommend this place. https://clachaig.com If it is booked up just about any place in Ballachulish or Glencoe would be fine.

I'll post some more ideas later today

Old May 16th, 2022, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for replying. We would have 10-11 nights on the ground. My schedule will allow for 10 nights on the gound but I can likely squeeze one more if its needed to see everything we had in mind which is why its 10-11 nights. We have done open jaw before in Ireland and that worked fantastically so we are open to that idea. I'm glad to hear that going in September should help with the crowds. Thank you for the suggestion on 3 nights in Edinburgh as it was something I had wondered about.

For Glencoe it wasn't hiking so much as it was having time to go to Lake Lommond and the Trossachs national park, see if we could do Isle of Mull/Staffa for Fingal's Cave and just general wandering. We really just like to see "what's around the bend" and that area seemed to have a lot to explore but if we don't need 3 nights that would be a night we can move somewhere else. Thank you for the hotel recommendation on somewhere to stay!
Old May 16th, 2022, 09:27 AM

Just quick . . . I'm leaving for a few hours but others will likely chime in . . .

Glencoe is not a base for Loch Lomond and the Trossachs. I'd stay somewhere like Callander or Aberfoyle or maybe Drymen for Loch Lomond, the Trossachs, Stirling, Doune, Inchmahome. I'd probably think along the lines of 3 nights Edinburgh, 2 nights Glencoe, 2 nights Callander/Trossachs area. That is 7 nights right there and with one more night at either GLA or EDI you are left with only 2 or 3 nights. Wanting to visit Kilmartin means Mull makes much more sense than Skye,

Something like:

Edinburgh 3 nights, Callander 2 nights, Glencoe 2 nights, Mull 2 nights, Kilmartin 1 night, GLA (or Luss or Alexandria or Helensburgh) last night before flying out.
Old May 16th, 2022, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for replying back so quickly and so thoughtfully. A couple of questions based on your answer.

Would you do Loch Lommond or would you go directly to Glencoe? Between the two isles--Mull or Skye--which would you recommend? Mull and Staffa had Fingals Cave and Skye has the Fairy Pools. Both seem spectacular but I know we don't have time for both.
Old May 16th, 2022, 02:54 PM

With the other places on your wish list IMO Mull is a better fit. Both islands are spectacular . . . but Skye has become a victim of its popularity. Even in September it will be more crowded than Mull. Traffic and parking near major scenic spots (like the Fairy Pools) is a real hassle. Both are large islands and the driving is slow on both (lots of single track roads) but with Skye being so large it really take 3 or 4 full days to do it any sort of justice.

Iona, Staffa, Calgary Bay, Tobermory, Duart Castle, etc etc -- Mull would be a lovely 2 days. If they have availability is highly recommend this B&B in Fionnphort https://www.iona-bed-breakfast-mull.com It is walking distance to the foot ferry to Iona and the tour boats to Staffa, great breakfasts, next door to The Keel Row pub/restaurant. They do book up well in advance.
Old May 18th, 2022, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your help. I really appreciate it.
Old May 18th, 2022, 06:51 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Forgive me, and this might sound petty and pejorative, but spelling auto-correct or no, be mindful of proper spelling and pronunciation of things Scottish.

"-burgh" is not pronounced with a hard "g" as in Pittsburgh. Most often you'll hear "Edinburgh" pronounced something like "Edin-bruh" unless you're able to roll your "Rs." The "ch" in "loch" is almost a hard "ch" that sounds like "k" but much closer to the Yiddish or Hebrew "ch" like in "challa."

I know, sounds petty and trivial, but it really isn't.

As for the itinerary, I too would replace Skye with Mull and Argyll, but I'd also consider returning to Edinburgh via the Perthshire highlands and Fife. You don't say when in September you're targeting, but if the leaves have started to turn, a couple of the Perthshire glens, most notably Glen Lyon, can be glorious in the autumn. You could follow that with a visit to St. Andrews and the "East Neuk" villages along the Fife coast, before returning to the capital. Here's a map showing something of this "figure 8" itinerary. https://goo.gl/maps/K83vcYedAzHoyYwk9

Google the places on the map, or, better, use Undiscovered Scotland - Undiscovered Scotland: Home Page - to research the areas.

I won't try to specify how many nights in which location; this might be too heavy, or it might suit your travel style if you like to keep up more of a go-go pace. You'll have a terrific time regardless. Happy planning!
Old May 18th, 2022, 07:48 AM

IMO (just me) I think Gardyloo's route is too much for your short trip. Instead of heading back east from Inverary to Fife, if you drove from Kilmartin/Inverary to either GLA or EDI is better for your relatively short time frame. Now don't get me wrong, I love (ADORE) Perthshire, Glen Lyon, Fife etc, but I'd want 3 or 4 more days minimum to hit both sides of the country.

Since Edinburgh, the Trossachs, Kilmartin and Mull (or Skye) were on your wish list I'd stick to Edinburgh and westwards.
Old May 18th, 2022, 12:36 PM

Edinburgh , Trossachs , Inveraray, Lochgilphead, Kilmartin (offshoot to Crinan) , Oban ( best fish restaurants on the west coast) ferry to Craignure, down to Iona (with trips) , Loch Na Keal, Tobermory, ferry to Kilchoan , Sanna , Ardnamurchan point, Acharacle, Arisaig, , Malliag, ferry to Armadale, round Syke, bridge over to Lochalsh , Invergarry, Fort William, Glencoe, side trip down Glen Etive (get there early before the James Bond hanger ons get there) , Perth , Edinburgh.

If you discount Norway , that’s some of the best scenery in Europe.

There’s a route - just decide where to spend the nights - if you want suggestions for lovely B & Bs let me know but book now - this year is as busy as ever.
Old May 18th, 2022, 01:22 PM

Love BC's idea - but with 3 nights in Edinburgh I honestly don't think you'd have the time for all of it.
Old May 18th, 2022, 03:07 PM

I don't do this as well as Gardyloo but here is the route I was suggesting . . . (Fingers crossed )

https://goo.gl/maps/mtFvoGCBsGrgf98C9
Old May 19th, 2022, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help with this. I really appreciate it. I also really appreciate the correction on my spelling error and a guide on how to pronounce places. I try when I travel to be aware of how things should be pronounced so this was very helpful.
Old May 19th, 2022, 08:33 AM

Mmm missed the 3 nights in Edinburgh bit.

yes janis’ route works well either south from Fort William to Oban ferry to Craignure.

or taken right just after Fort William to take the Coran ferry over to Ardnamurchan

or turn right in Fort William round to Loch Moidart and Acharacle - then either route takes you to Kilchoan and the ferry over to Mull. Ardnamurchan has some of the best beaches in Scotland and also the best walk (incline v view ) in Britain. It is also VERY quiet unlike Skye with its bridge.
Old May 19th, 2022, 10:17 AM

"or taken right just after Fort William to take the Coran ferry over to Ardnamurchan"

That's what I probably do. The Coran Ferry, then the Lochaline ferry over to Fishnish. I've used all three routes (Oban, Lochaline, and Kilchoan) and via Kilchoan is probably my favorite. I'd actually decide depending on where one stays on Mull . . . If in Tobermory take the Kilchoan ferry, if in Fionnphort take the Lochaline ferry. Then when leaving Mull take the Oban ferry and south to Kilmartin.

But I haven't followed up closely - are all three ferries running as normal??
Old May 20th, 2022, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the help! So many options to explore. I'll get with my friend and we'll go over everything. If anyone has suggestions on where to stay in Edinburgh or in the Loch Lomond area I would love to hear them. We both like to stay with locals so B and B's, family hotels, etc. are preferred. We prefer less expensive (doesn't everyone) but we are willing to splurge. Typical range is $100-$150 per night but as mentioned less if possible. We won't have camping gear since we are flying but we aren't opposed to car camping if that is allowed.
Old May 20th, 2022, 07:03 AM

I'm leaving soon for a couple of days out of town so may not have time to check in or post but just quick:

Best to think in terms of £, not $ - $100-$150 is approx £80 to £120. That will be pretty difficult in central Edinburgh except for places like Travelodge, etc. But the bus services are great so staying a bit outside the center is fine - most B&B sites clearly state if they are on bus lines. That price range will be much easier for your stops out in the countryside.

Side note: I just checked Seaview Guest House on Mull that I mentioned up thread . . . and it is already almost entirely booked up the entire month of September (and most of Oct too) I did say they book up far ahead.