Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with Scotland Itinerary with teen boys! (Help, Shelia!)

May 2nd, 2004, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

We'be had to scrap our Central Europe plans for yet another summer, but my sixteen year old really wants to go to Scotland and that is looking feasible.

My boys are 16 and 13 and like the whole history, war, Braveheart stuff. I want to do Edinburgh, Stirling, St. Andrews (golf for the husband)Culloden and Highland Games. We can do Stirling and St. Andrews as day trips from Edinburgh, right? Do you kow anything about Knight Residence Apartments? (good price on expedia)

After Edinburh, on the way to the Highland Games, can you recommend an itinerary and towns to stay?

We will be there for 7 days starting June 30. Oh, if we can stay in a castle one night, that would be great! (not too haunted!!!)

I'm countin on ya, Shelia!
Thanks,
Suse
May 2nd, 2004, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Oops, it's not we'be it's we've. Someday I will proofread.

But....where are the funky shops located in Edinburgh that the teens would like? That is a must!!

Suse
May 2nd, 2004, 07:41 AM

Oh, OK. And I don't even mind that you can't spell my name

Questionsbr />
Golf at the Old Course? or anywhere in St Andrews?
Highland Games anywhere in particular? Options would appear to bebr /> July 3 THORNTON HIGHLAND GATHERING (Fife)

JULY 4 (Sunday) CUPAR HIGHLAND GAMES(also Fife)

JULY 7 (Wednesday) KENMORE HIGHLAND GAMES (Perthshire

You can do Stirling and St Andrews as day trips from Edinburgh.
I know nuzzing about the Kinght Residence.

Funky shops? Rose Street; Victoria Street; Stockbridge; Leith

There?s a listing guide published in Scotland called ?The List? which you should pick up when you get here.

A day in Stirling,- obviously do the Castle, Bannockburn and Stirling Bridge, but think about the walk round the town wall.

A day in Perth the Black Watch regimental museum, bits of the old town?s wall, Hal O? the Wynd?s house and the Fair Maid?s House, Huntingtower Castle. The North Inch is the site of the famous ?Battle of the Clans?. Most of Perth's interest lies in its history- ancient capital of Scotland- and in its place in Scottish literature. Just north of Perth, 2 miles or so, is Scone Palace, worth a visit itself, which was the site where the kings and queens of Scotland were crowned, seated on the Stone of Destiny, (a good fake of) which you will no doubt have seen when you visited Edinburgh Castle.

The town's 12th century Church, St John's is worth a visit. It contains the remains of an Earl of Perth who is supposed to have told the town's baillies "If you give me six feet, I'll give you twa inches"- a reference to the two parks on either side of the old town, the North and South Inches (from the Gaelic Innis, meaning meadow). In addition, it is where John Knox preached the destruction of the monasteries at the start of the Scottish reformation. Sir Walter Scott wrote a novel called "the Fair Maid of Perth", and her house and that of Hal o' the Wynd, can both be visited. This will tell you all about Clan Chattan and Clan Kay and their battle. Next to Hal o' the Wynd's house is the City Mills which has a restored oatmeal mill and some nice craft shops. The City Mills Hotel, which I think is now called the Stakis, is another converted Mill, done so the lade can be seen flowing underneath.

If you walk along the Tay, you can see where the houses in the Watergate had their gardens, which led down to the river, where Kate Barlass held off the soldiers come to capture and kill the king.

Birnam, just outside Dunkeld,(12 miles north of Perth) is, of course, famous as being the place from which the wood came to Dunsinane in Macbeth. Dunsinane is just north of Perth on the Aberdeen road.

An easy trip from Dunkeld is Blair Atholl, which is a planned village and is very pretty in a slightly twee Victorian style, and it houses Blair Castle, home of the Dukes of Atholl and the Atholl Highlanders. V
impressive in the grand style..

On the way, you pass Killiecrankie, where you can see the famous soldier's leap. If you don't know the story, learn the song. Another famous battle

Another easy trip out from there is to take a wee detour west to Aberfeldy and Loch Tay. You will pass Breadalbane Castle, former home of the Marquis of Breadalbane, and now a golf course! and come to the lovely 18th century planned village of Kenmore. The loch is stunning.

Inverness/Fort George/Culloden, -. On the way north, stop at the Ruthven Barracks at Kingussie and see how Wade?s army lived after the ?15

West of Fort William is Glenfinnan and you should stop and see the monument there. You need to try to understand the desolation of Highland life and the hope that was held out to Highland people by the mountebank Charles Edward Stuart between 1745 and 1746, when he left from the Loch nam Uamh-no distance at all from where he arrived but with thousands dead and Cumberland all over us like a rash.

Nowadays it's more famous for the viaduct in the second Harry Potter movie.

Keeping south from Fort William go east at Ballachulish and through Glencoe, the Glen of Weeping. Bear in mind, that, within the last few years, a fuss has been made because the National Trust has employed a Campbell to work in the new centre- over 300 years after the massacre.

South of Lochearnhead turn up Balquhidder and into Rob Roy Country proper.

These are some random thoughts. Given a trip for a week, you need to narrow down your options, then come back and let us expand the detail.

A thought- make your kids read some history proper. Even the light hearted stuff from the 'Orrible 'Istory series. It will enhance their (and your) appreciation of what you're seeing a great deal

May 2nd, 2004, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Oh, Sheila, I am so sorry for spelling your name incorrectly. See, I do need to check my posts before posting!

How does this sound:
Edinburgh- 3 nights with one day seeing Edinburgh and shopping, then another day spent in Stirling and one day in St. Andrews golfing (old course if possible) Or, should I spend the evening in the Cupar area and do St. Andrews and a highland game from there? Or 4 nights in Edinburgh and day trips to both? An aside...we must do the Firth (or is it the Forth bridge). My 13 year old saw a show on it on the Discovery Channel and wants to see and cross it!

Which Highland Game do you recommend...Thorton, Cupar or Kenmore?

Your suggestion of Perth will be great and I think we'll go on to there. Is Kenmore a good place to stop for the night? I can't find it on my map!

The next day we'll do Inverness and Culloden with your suggestions,should we stop for the night or go off to Fort William?

If we stay in Culloden area, where would be a good stopping place for our last night before heading home?

My kids will absolutely love your suggestions. I will definately have them read up on it, but one already knows quite a bit! He is a history nut.

So Edinburgh 3 nights
Kenmore or your suggestion 1 night
Inverness Culloden 1 night
Somewhere in between Fort William and Edinburgh (Glasgow, maybe?) 1 night
Last night..Castle outside of Edinburgh before leaving for the States.

Does this sound okay?

You are such a value to this site and all of us, Thanks so much!
May 2nd, 2004, 10:48 AM

OK, with that as a base, what can we do? You arrive at Edinburgh on the 30th. What time? Will you get any sightseeing done that day, or is it late evening?

So, Edinburgh on the 30th; St Andrews on the 31st, Edinburgh on the 1st, Stirling on the 2nd; all from and Edinburgh base. All travel by train; trip to Leuchars/St Andrews crossing the Forth Rail Bridge. In Stirling, visit Bannockburn and be aware of Stirling Bridge

3rd, leave Edinburgh by hire car heading north to Perth. Know about the battle of the Clans. Visit Huntingtower Castle and Scone Palace; west to Kenmore at the east end of Loch Tay. Stay at the Kenmore Hotel.

4th, head west along Loch Tay and visit Balquhidder (Rob Roy- see the movie)then Glencoe (know about the massacre). Visit Castle Stalker and then come home (I could structure that day better, given a bit of thought)

5th, head up the A9, stop at Killiecrankie,(battle and song) Blair Atholl (castle), Ruthven barracks (know about the '15 and the '45 and the aftermath), then over to Culloden (Inverness not worth stopping at. Honest. Home

6th Go to Dunkeld, Pitlochry, and over the mountains, through Glen Shee to Braemar; see Braemar Castle, Balmoral, Lochnagar Distillery, and home

7th, Kenmore Games. I think the programme starts at 12.30pm so take the boys to the Crannog Centre in eth morning and try to get them some fishing. Try to get them to participate. These are not just about spectating, you know.

What I was trying to do was minimise the moving of bags, but if a castle stay is a must (over-rated IMHO), but you could go for Culcreuch, Dalhousie, Myres, Fernie, Kinfauns, and Airth, are all possibilities.

Out early on the 8th? late on the 7th? How does that do?

May 2nd, 2004, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Sheila, you are a doll!!!
This sounds great. We will be arriving EDI in the afternoon and leaving the 8th in the afternoon.

My boys will really enjoy this and they most certainly will participate in the games. My oldest you'd have to tie up to stop from joining in!

Have you ever thought about starting your own site on Scotland like Pat Preston has for Ireland? I think you would be perfect!

Thanks again.
Suse
May 2nd, 2004, 12:10 PM

I'm glad that helps. If you want to sort anything out, come back to me.

Thanks for the kind words. You don't think THIS is timeconsuming enough??
May 3rd, 2004, 11:21 AM
KT

More on funky shops: Cockburn Street (probably more up the kids' alley, while Victoria Street is probably more your style), and Broughton Street.
May 3rd, 2004, 11:27 AM

I forgot about Cockburn Street but there are some very funky shops at the bottom of Victoria Street and in the West Bow, these days.

Broughton Street? What's in Broughton Street but pubs? (that's a genuine question)