Reload this Page >

Scotland for the first time....need help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 1997, 06:53 PM
john will

Will be visiting the Scottish Highlands for the first time soon, where are the good places to visit, is driving difficult
there, is it hard to find gas stations, places for day trips? I need all of the help I can get. Thanks.

Old Oct 5th, 1997, 01:52 AM
Tricia

If you go into www.eurotrip.com and click on WEB LINKS you will be able to find the topic on driving in Europe. I ordered the book that the couple who has a web link wrote and its great. Where to buy, rent lease a car. Where to camp if you get a poptop van. Where to get gas. Germany had wonderful gas stations. The US entrepeneurs are everywhere you know. They have the little mini marts and the whole shot. They are probably in Scotland too. In fact I posted info on the website last month and will send it to the top so look for it

Old Oct 6th, 1997, 06:44 PM
JOAN DOYLE

Dear John: Though I've not been to Scotland at this time of year or later, I pass on what my friend in Glasgow has to say about driving in the Highlands from October on: "The roads up there [the Highlands] are single-trackers and are best avoided between October and March." (I'm going to be in Britain in November and had thought of visiting a mutual friend in Ayrshire--but it won't be THIS trip.) The Scots are delightful people, though, and I hope you'll get to see SOME of their country. Have a good trip. Joan

Old Oct 6th, 1997, 08:35 PM
sgorces

Driving in Scotland is quite easy, easier than many places in southern England. Gas stations are as plentiful and conveniently located. The Highlands have some A grade highways, but if you mean strictly the Highlands, there are many single lane roads with passing spots as stated above. The real high country roads could well be rough going if you go after Oct. You should stick to the main highways unless you check locally. I would suggest going up the west coast from Glasgow to Oban and on through the Great Glen to Inverness. Then you could check locally and decide which route to follow deaper into the Highlands, or back around to Edinburgh. Fabulous country, great scotch whiskey, nice folks! Have fun!

Old Oct 8th, 1997, 12:48 PM
Tom

Re: Driving and places to visit in Highlands.
First, some roads are indeed narrow and some have a soft shoulder (asphalt gutter) which can easily damage tires if you veer off the road slightly.
Don't miss Kyle of Lochalsh (Eileen Donan castle nearby) and plan to travel thru Dundonnell and to Inverness - great scenery. If time permits, take a ferry to Skye or the Outer Hebrides islands.

Old Oct 17th, 1997, 04:03 PM
Mark

My wife 25, me 32, enjoyed Scotland immensely. I'll
detail our trip; which was the most spectacular yet.We flew into Heathrow , Immediadetly, went to Edinborough. Alot to see , 1 day is enough. We drove up the coast to visit Aberrdeen. Don't waste your tim. Along the way we stopped in different cities. For example Perth and Sterling are tourist traps!!!
Go immediately to the west. I reccomend the drive from Edin. or Glasgow to Inverness. Inverness is a quaint

Old Oct 17th, 1997, 04:04 PM
Mark

My wife 25, me 32, enjoyed Scotland immensely. I'll
detail our trip; which was the most spectacular yet.We flew into Heathrow , Immediadetly, went to Edinborough. Alot to see , 1 day is enough. We drove up the coast to visit Aberrdeen. Don't waste your tim. Along the way we stopped in different cities. For example Perth and Sterling are tourist traps!!!
Go immediately to the west. I reccomend the drive from Edin. or Glasgow to Inverness. Inverness is a quaint

Old Oct 17th, 1997, 04:15 PM
Mark

After driving, not touring , LOCH NESS, head towards the Isle of Skye. The drive there is about 4 hours but you'd wish it could last forever. I can't say enough about that drive , it was uot of a 3-d book.
Skye was ok but the scenery from Inv. to Skye, and Skye back to Glasgow Edin. was incredable.St. Andrews is nice, you can walk the famous golf course
for free. Any questions or brochures E-mail us.

Old Oct 17th, 1997, 04:15 PM
Mark

After driving, not touring , LOCH NESS, head towards the Isle of Skye. The drive there is about 4 hours but you'd wish it could last forever. I can't say enough about that drive , it was uot of a 3-d book.
Skye was ok but the scenery from Inv. to Skye, and Skye back to Glasgow Edin. was incredable.St. Andrews is nice, you can walk the famous golf course
for free. Any questions or brochures E-mail us.