COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Help with our school project, Travel

Old Oct 14th, 1997, 11:52 AM
Paul Hanna

Help with our school project, Travel

We are doing a travel unit in school, any information that could help us on the following countries:France, Greece, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Spain, Poland, Sweden, and Austria.
We could especially use information about crime rate, birth rate, death rate, native peoples, and time zones. Any information recieved would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You !
Paul Hanna

Old Oct 14th, 1997, 05:12 PM
JOAN DOYLE

Dear Paul. I gather you're another high school student with a lazy teacher. The source you need is NOT this site but rather a marvelous paperback book called the World Almanac. New editions come out each January. They are so inexpensive that you could afford to buy your own. ALL of the topics you listed are covered there and even the 1997 edition would serve your purpose. Get cracking. Joan

Old Oct 14th, 1997, 05:57 PM
Julie

Check out http://www.lonelyplanet.com

Old Oct 14th, 1997, 07:21 PM
Tricia

There are all kinds of weather,currency and time zones info on the net- you just need to know how to surf it. My 11 year old went into Groliers Encyclopedia and printed out a world map divided into the time zones for a project. It was perfect

Old Oct 17th, 1997, 07:46 PM
JOAN DOYLE

Dear Paul: You may want to follow up on Tricia's suggestion to another poster--the Grolier Encyclopedia website. If you don't have access to it on the Internet, your local library possibly has printed copies of yearbooks from the countries you're interested in. You may even have to look in a number of places to get the information in each case. That is called RESEARCH. There's money in learning how to do it so I recommend it. Good luck. Joan

Old Oct 17th, 1997, 10:16 PM
Brian-a teacher

It's just hard to believe what nonsense passes for "advice" sometimes in this Fodor's Site, but this topic takes the cake. A lazy excuse for a student who obviously doesn't know what a library is and does and who can't spell properly(it's RECEIVE) has Joan tell him that it's the teacher's fault! And then a few other people go ahead and help out this poor boy instead of telling him to get off his butt and do the basic research himself. No Joan, it's not the teacher's fault, it's people like you who feel sorry for the poor little waif. Now here's my advice: either go to a library or, even better, go to Barnes and Noble. You can read new books there for free. Go to the travel section and pick out a few books and sit and read them. What a novel
idea! THEN, once you've got the basics down pat, get back on this site and maybe you'll get some help. But help yourself first.