Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Scotland driving trip with college grad son: need suggestions please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son and I are just getting started on planning our trip to Scotland. This is his college graduation present.
I would like information from those of you who have done their own driving tours. We plan on flying into Edinburg then somehow taking off from there. Any and all tips on car rentals, who to rent from, etc is greatly appreciated. I'm reading up on places to see but any memorable stops would be greatly appreciated. Even lodging tips.
Thanks so much!
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 06:45 AM

lj: Have you left already? If not, I'll send you some pix.

stu tower
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 07:34 AM

I wouldn't miss St. Andrews. We played the Himalayas at the Old Course - their version of 'putt-putt.' The cathedral, castle and university are all great sights. Stirling Castle was also a highlight.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 06:21 PM

https://picasaweb.google.com/stuartt...LakesAndWales#

ljmartin:
Calculated that you haven't left on your trip...if it's a graduation trip, I suspect it will be May/June. Brilliant, eh!
Here are some familiarization pix that may help you with a few ideas for the journey...I don't do trip reports. Edinburgh to the highlands, to the west, south to the English Lakes and Wales. We rented from Budget just a little out of the center of Edinburgh and close to the Firth Of Forth bridge and off we go toward Fife and St. Andrews.

Enjoy your journey with your graduate son...

Stu Tower
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 01:30 AM

My prime advice is not to consider renting a car until yo are ready to leave Edinburgh. Traffic is horrible owing to construction, and there is no place to park. In fact, you don't need a car to visit Stiling or Glasgow or St Andrews (in the other direction).

When my daughter lived in Edinburgh, we had a great trip by train to Glasgow, Mallaig, Skye (by ferry and bus), Kyle of Lochalsh, Inverness, and Aberdeen. On the way, you pass Loch Lomond (lovely) and Loch Ness (anticlimactic). You can watch the spectacular scenery between the towns rather than the road. We did not stop at St Andrews on the way back to Edinburgh, but one could, as one could visit Stirling on the way to Glasgow.

You could take a tour from Aberdeen up the valley of the Dee to or near Balmoral, which is a gently beautiful trip to contrast with the rugged mountains on the rest of the trip.