Search

Scotland & London - Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotland & London - Trip Report

Part 2:
Day 11 - After breakfast, went back to Bridge of Allan to do some laundry, only to discover it's closed Sunday. Attended Highland Games in Stirling. Had picked White Gables Guest House for 2 nights stay as it is across the road from the Games and we had a 5 minute walk. There were so many things going on at the Games at one time - athletic events (caber, hammer, etc.) in one corner, tug of war, highland and country dancing on a stage, lone piper competition, pipe band and drum major competitions and so on. One group did a set piece showing use of weapons from the olden days. Falconer showed how the birds are trained to return (thatwas the second bird, the first one took off and didn't come back!)Many different tartans, some of which I'd never seen before. There was a section with food and drink, crafts and clan products, and a small amusement part for children. I heartily recommend spending a day at a Highland Games.
We spent a quiet evening after dinner at the Birds and Bees pub/restaurant.

Day 12 - We're off to Oban bright and early. Being a ferry port town, Oban was very busy by our lunchtime arrival. There are many parking restrictions and it is mostly pay parking on the street or in the lots. Went into bank to get coin for laundry and directions to laundromat. Turns out it was not self service but a dry cleaner type store where the owner did our laundry - 2 large loads cost 14 GBP. Then we walked around the town.
Our B&B was the only 2 star one we did and the size/looks showed it. Room was clean but cramped and parking was on a very narrow street on steep hill. Had good seafood dinner at Waterfront Restaurant and more sticky toffee pudding.

Day 13 - slow start today as youngest not feeling great at first, didn't leave till checkout time at 10 by which time she felt better. Headed down to Gilmartin and saw museum and their audio-visual show (worth your time). Museum had hands on items and rubbings of pictographs, so we all played for a bit. Drove on to Temple Wood to see the standing stones and the Nether Largie Cairn, both of which you get to by walking through sheep pastures and sets of gates. Real photo op place and peaceful too.
Driving from Kilmartin to Lochgilphead to Inveraray was very scenic, with long and winding roads next to the ocean, all backed by rolling hills. Had lunch in Inveraray, explored the main street shops, then did the tour of Inveraray Jail for more than an hour. We all liked the way they set up the cells and information, and I even found a couple of names in the prison registers that may have been relatives of my mother's. Our B&B was Breagha Lodge, a 3 minute drive from the main street, and was the largest room we had all trip. I think the bathroom was as large as the smallest room we had. We went into town and had dinner at the Fernpoint Hotel, which had been the first residence built in the town.

Day 14 - On our way through Rest and Be Thankful pass, down via Garelochhead and Helensburgh. Very pretty drive, with very narrow, winding roads. Hooked up to motorway and made our way to Strathaven. This is where my maternal grandfather's family lived/worked, although their residence and place of work no longer exist. Parked in commons area and had lunch in a coffee house. Walked to shops and bought some local toffee and chocolate. Got back in the car and drove to Glasgow airport where we turned in the rental car. Got taxi to Travel Inn, City Centre and checked in.

Day 15 - slept in then had a quick toastie and drink at sidewalk cafe. Went to TIC and got a small pop-up city map, then went to Queen St. train station to get our train tickets to Edinburgh for Sat. a.m. Then we walked to Buchanan Galleries mall and Sauchiehall Street, pedestrian shapping areas. Hit H&M, Waterstones and so on. Then took the girls to have a proper tea at the original Willow Tea Room with the scones and little sandwiches. We all really enjoyed this. It is quite small so be prepared to wait a bit for a table.
Back to our room to put feet up a bit and I checked train tickets - issued for wrong date so I hoofed back to the station and got new ones. Walked back up to Sauchiehall St for dinner at a Fodor's recommended place, Fratelli Sarti. Food was excellent - try the tagliette with chicken and peppers. We were there about 7 and it started to fill up about 745. They recommend reservations.

Day 16 - another late start. Set up return of rental mobile phone. Went to Baloo Cafe near George Square and had large bowl of vegetable soup with crusty bread. Then went to Argyll shops and St. Enoch's Mall. Streets were wall to wall with people and we soon tired of shopping. Went to a Costs's coffee shop for a drink and some people-watching. For dinner we went to Oko, a Japanese place near our hotel. There is a sushi bar on a conveyor belt and you pick your sushi off of it (prices are by plate colour). My youngest loved that. My eldest and I don't like sushi so ordered teriyaki and tempura dishes and dumplings. Portions are small, more of an appetizer size. Tables are high, not for the disabled, with a button inset to call your server. Different experience.

Day 17 - up early. Not a good night's sleep as parties moving from pubs to clubs to cars yelling and screaming off and on. Now I know why I don't live in city centre. Dragged ourselves and luggage, in rain, to train station and got right on. Arrived at Ed. Waverly station and got cab to airport for our flight to London.

I'll have to complete this day and last 3 days later, life is calling me.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 09:20 AM

hey cami, when you file your next report, just add it to this one as a "reply" - then tehy'll all be on the same thread and easier to find.
I'm enjoying your report....
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 09:24 AM

Enjoying your trip report, cami. You saw a lot in two weeks! We've only been back from Scotland for three weeks, but it seems like ages ago already. This is helping keep things fresh in mind.

If I understand correctly, you did all the driving? I can appreciate how much work that was (and there were two of us to share the load).
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Here's Part 3:
Day 17 continued - room wrong, only for 2 people so they gave me a single for the night. I would definitely upgrade to better class of room if I return to London as found it dismal and stifling hot. Being within 5 minutes of British Museum, we went there first so I could see the Rosetta Stone and other wonders I'd learned about as a student. Outside, the steps were thronged with people just hanging out. Funnily, there was a big sign facing away from the steps asking people to not sit on steps. The next time we saw this, the sign was facing the steps and very few people were sitting on them. Spent another hour or so walking the Bloomsbury neighbourhood to find dinner and Tube stations.

Day 18 - After a coffee, hopped Tube to Waterloo Stn and worked our way over to the London Eye. It was about 1015 so we got on within 10 minutes. It was a way to get an overview of that area and all of the bridges. Then we took Tube to Leicester Square - 1/2 price ticket booths didn't have anything left we wanted so went to the Square and had lunch at a Mexican place that was quite tasty. I didn't know that there were celebrity handprints round the Square, so we had to take a photo of Jude Law's prints for one of my daughter's friends. There was a movie premiere being set up at the theatre for "Thunderbirds" and a crowd was forming - we saw a bit of pyrotechnic work and then left as couldn't see anything. We walked to Piccadily Circus, Regent St., Carnaby St., Oxford St. The streets were packed with Sunday shoppers and it was quite warm. Made our way to Marble Arch and into Hyde Park where we had ice cream cone and listened to some of the people at Speakers' Corner.
Took Tube back to our room where they had moved us into one ensuite room. After resting our feet for a bit, we took on the top floor of the British Museum, found a touristy store on Southhampton where the girls bought their friends souvenirs (mostly Tube-oriented). Went to Cagney's for dinner - food was good, staff not too attentive. The whole place was dedicated to Jimmy Cagney - photos, news clippings, names of menu items.

Day 19 - Tube to St. Pauls, across Millenium Bridge, walked about. Huge school group going into the Globe so we decided to come back later. Tube to Knightsbridge and went into Harrod's. Place was huge. The one room of the Food Hall that we visited was deli and take away so we put together a lunch. One daughter got a wooden boxed "tea" that had the little sandwiches, mini scones, jam and clotted cream with a few fresh strawberries. We took our lunch back over to Hyde Park via the Edinburgh Gate (scary statute of demons chasing people) and people-watched. Then made our way to the new Princess Diana Memorial Fountain. Took Tube back so we could so tour of Shakespeare's Globe reconstruction - recommend the tour as the guides are very knowledgeable and entertaining.
Dinner at Italian place near our rooms after going back to British Museum to get photos of the Reading Room.

Day 20 - going home day. Took Piccadilly line to Heathrow for 8 GBP total. Arrived dinnertime in Vancouver.

I agree with ms_go that it seems ages since we went and it's just over a week, I barely have the laundry done and only got photos done yesterday.

I don't know that I'd do a road trip again without a second driver, but it was the only way I was going to see some of the smaller towns and who knows if/when I'll get back. Taking the train for part of a trip would be nice. My driving mantra on the corners of the narrowest roads was "No truck, no bus"!

I found that research (this site with all of your experts, the AA and its route planners, and various tourism sites) gave me a lot of the info I was looking for.

I found I was tired early at night which was partly the time change and partly from the driving and lots of walking. We would read, play cards and watch TV in the room in the evening. The Weakest Link and Big Brother 5 hooked us.

Again, thanks to all for your input.

Loved the coffe/tea making facilities with biscuits in the Scottish rooms and really missed that in London. Didn't do too much with the pubs as many were quite smoky, which the kids hate and I'm trying to stay away from.

London deserved its own trip as we were tired by the time we got there and were castled-out.

Took my eldest to the library two days ago and between us we took out travel guides for Greece, France and Hawaii. Who knows where we'll go next? Quitting smoking has given me a monthly amount I now put away for holidays.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 11:07 AM

I think you did so well to do all that driving on your own! No wonder you were pooped in the evenings. (But it is good to have some time to watch British TV. No Coronation Street??)

Thanks for posting your report!
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 11:57 AM

Sorry, I'm a bit confused on the Glasgow portion. Did you stay at the Travel Inn Centre City several nights, and was that where you had problems with the external noise? We're booked there in September, and would appreciate learning from your experience...
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Yes, the Travel Inn on George Street is right downtown by many pubs and nightclubs and late Friday evening/early Sat. it was quite noisy.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 11:58 PM

Good report. Lots of info. Thanks.