Reload this Page >

Thrilled to Have Gone to London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 10:28 AM
Stephanie

(Second attempt to post, hope not a duplicate)My son and I are back from a wonderful vacation to London. We never did make it to Bath,there was just too much to do in London and not enough time. Our first day we caught the Tube and headed to Kew where we met friends that live there and had tea in a little caf&eacute; that was wonderful. We then headed to Hampton Court Palace where I fell in love with England. I knew what to expect because of movies and books, but being there takes your breath away, you can just picture the Royal Barge pulling up on the Thames and Henry VIII standing there larger than life! It is just incredibly beautiful - all the autumn colors were at<BR>their prime! I had to take pictures of the statues of greyhounds, as I have something in<BR>common with Henry, I too love greyhounds! We took a tour, went through the kitchens,<BR>and I must say the men working there in the kitchens were very entertaining and<BR>informative (I wanted to stay with them all day)! My son now knows everything about how<BR>they cooked, the different spices, sweets, and different wine, ales, Mead, etc....he really thought it was rather cool! Thank goodness for my son’s wonderful sense of direction, we were able to get out of the maze, but when taking the tour through William III’s apartments in the palace he got tangled on the staircase (freak accident) and a very nice American<BR>stopped and untangled him!!

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 10:31 AM
Stephanie

That evening - back in London - we hit the streets and started walking, I noticed a little dark winding lane with a neon sign that said Italian<BR>restaurant...so we went in to this little hole in the wall and had a delicious dinner (trout putanesca) and excellent service....we watched the football game on tv with others and<BR>enjoyed all the attention paid to us (especially kid who was named “Prince” for the evening)! The next day we went to the British Museum, sadly we did not see mummies as Room 60 was closed that day, but we did see the other ancient artifacts, funny how all the PBS shows<BR>and Discovery Channel have helped prepare us for our trip through the Museum as we recognized so much and some gave me goose bumps! But talking about goose bumps,the National Gallery! My favorites belonging to Monet and Van Gogh and Renoir!!! Oh how<BR>incredible - my nose just 8 inches from the real thing, those beautiful creations. Off to St. Martins to listen to a pianist and sit in the pews with the other homeless people seeking<BR>refuge from the bitter cold day outside....then a delicious little light lunch in the Crypt Caf&eacute; -<BR>then hit the streets again - went to Westminster, Big Ben - Parliament, ran across Scotland Yard, the Queen’s guards that are just so pretty on their beautiful horses (wanted to kidnap<BR>one, until I saw what baby faces they had, too bad), 10 Downing Street (moved quickly from there due to the American tourists crowding the small space), and of course (not in actual order), Trafalgar Square and we were covered from head to toe with pigeons (fun for kid, not especially my cup of tea - waiting for photos, holding my breath that there is at least one incredible one of kidlet with birds)! We were able to eat at only ONE pub (The Plough) because they could scoot child upstairs to a dining room that was closed to hide him - they took pity on our drop dead with starvation faces, and fed us the best food - he had Fish n Chips with peas, I had a cheddar<BR>and apple chutney toasted sandwich - ok was it the hunger or was that the best sandwich I have ever eaten?? That night we hit Wagamamas....it was fun, cool looking, waiter was friendly, but I have a problem with wanting to be neat and clean when I eat and I was feeling rather messy slurping noodles and sloshing broth all over my face - okay the kid LOVED it - he ate all the squid out of my bowl, and then we left just in time for the dinner crowd to<BR>pack in. My feet were killing me, so a good soak cured that! Meanwhile we went shopping at Boots (comparable to our Walgreens), the Internet caf&eacute; sponsored by Nestle, and bought<BR>fresh fruit from a market on the corner (Oranges from South Africa are so scrumptious, juicy and sweet).

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 10:33 AM
Stephanie

Now my feet were worn to the bone, and I have been introduced to the<BR>cabs! UH OH!!!!! Forget the tube!!!! I am spoiled rotten - cabbies calling me Lovey or Ducky and giving us narrated tours as they drive us to our destinations....helping us pick<BR>out a good restaurant in Chinatown, you name it, they were extremely helpful and again, wanted to take them home with me! Well lets change that, I wanted to go home with them! <BR>Feeling energetic woke up one morning and put on our walking shoes and headed to Hyde Park. We stopped at the little visitor’s cottage at the gate (near Rotten Row) to see if they had a map or advice. The gentleman that worked there invited us in and he chatted with us for quite awhile and helped us figure what we wanted to see and do and we bought a map from him. I was definitely charmed by this man, as I was charmed with everything and<BR>everyone in London. Yes, I am sickeningly sweet on London. We walked through Hyde Park, Kensington Gardens to Kensington Palace where we toured and went and had tea at the Orangery looking out over the garden...very quaint and pretty and the tea helped warm our bones, it was cold and damp that day. I met a couple in the park with a Saluki. It made me miss my greyhound at home, and also he was so pretty I now want a Saluki to be a<BR>companion for my greythound! They told me I could not have him, so I hung my head down and walked sadly away... After tea we got lost! Could not find the tube station and ended up in Nottinghill where a businessman on his way home from a busy day walked us<BR>to the station (okay, sorry but I have NEVER encountered such wonderfully helpful people here in Florida, as I did in London, making it ever more fascinating). [end of part one]

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 10:40 AM
Jess

What a great trip report! You sound so excited about the whole experience. I'm headed there in less than a month and reading your report has gotten me excited all over again. <BR><BR>Can't wait to read the rest!

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 10:53 AM
cdf

Now I really wish I could have gone to England this year, your report brought back so many memories, how nice everyone was, Trafalgar Sq..St Martin in the Fields concerts...waiting for the next installment...Welcome home~

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 10:54 AM
mia

Great trip report! How did your son like London?

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 12:22 PM
max

Stephanie, what airline did you use? How was the airport and flight? Are there really such long lines? And did you go to any plays? Glad you had fun.M

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 12:29 PM
Grasshopper

So true about the taxis. Everyone is a mini tour and it is such a hoot how the cabbies call you every assortment of politically correct name... hunny, love, sweetheart, doll. Can you imagine a cabbie in the US getting away with that?! Can you imagine a cabbie in the US you'd &lt;i&gt;want&lt;/i&gt; to get away with that?! Can you imagine a cabbie in the US who speaks English!

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 12:42 PM
Pearce

How old is your son? I ask, because we are going in January, and there will be a 14-year-old with us, and we were hoping to be able to eat cheaper by going to pubs. I've read that she's allowed in by law, but it's up to each individual pub whether she actually can.<BR>Hearing about your wonderful trip is making me more excited than ever about going!

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 01:48 PM
Mel

Stephanie: What a great report! The breathless enthusiasm is palpable! You reminded me so much of my first trip to London. I was doing a Europe tour with my sister. She wanted London, I wanted Paris, so we did both. I absolutely became "besotted" with London and get back as often as I can. It's in my mind and heart daily.<BR><BR>Let's hear more!!!<BR><BR>

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 02:25 PM
patty

Thanks for your wonderful trip report! I hope to go to London with my daughter some year in the future and with any luck I'll be able to access your report for my research.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 02:25 PM
Maira

Stephanie, your report (Part I) is an absolute blast! Loved it! Do you recall the name of the Italian restaurant? Where did you stayed? Again, thanks for a wonderful read.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 04:30 PM
Elizabeth

I remember when you were planning this trip and I've wondered how it went--thanks for letting us know.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 05:29 PM
Stephanie

My son is now 11 -too young for the pubs. A teen may be accepted easier entrance to a pub. <BR><BR>I don't remember the name of the Italian restaurant - darn it! But I will have to pull out my little book and see if I can find out where it was at least.<BR><BR>I flew Delta - NEVER AGAIN!!! Then again, they have said there are travel vouchers in the mail so I may have to....this time I will be prepared for the worst service, rude flight attendants, rude Ticket/Desk agent and NOT carry luggage for them to break into and lose! So now you know the worst part of my trip But don't worry London made up for the hassle...<BR><BR>I will be posting the rest soon....

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 05:35 PM
Stephanie

(Continuation - Part Two) Harrods, what an experience that is - so fine, so ritzy as my son would say... drooling over the food court, carrying a heavy basket loaded with gifts of tins of everything I could grab, stroking cashmere, $$$$$$ signs lighting my eyes over Cartier jewelry, wishing for the new Kate Spade purse, and then the shoes - I love shoes and I really thought their shoe department looked fun, but with Little Boy in Tow it would not work.....what is wonderfully convenient about Harrods is that you don't have to open doors, the doorman does it for you and you don't have to carry your packages, they are delivered to a door to wait for you while you shop...my kind of place. With bags and bags in hand we got a cab, and this is when the magic of the moment hit me, big force, picture loads of shopping bags at your feet, warm and snugly in your black cab, surrounded by holiday shoppers, pretty store fronts, Christmas decorations everywhere and then you notice SNOW FLURRIES!!! Whoa, the Ninny in me came out, sat there in tears over the true Christmastime feeling....and that my trip has so far been such a joy!!! <BR><BR>Hamleys!! Floors of fun, fun and more fun. Forget the fact your are in a toy store crowded with screaming children, baby buggies, people smacking you left and right with their backpacks (I have decided that they need to outlaw the carrying of Backpacks in crowded and tight, confined areas such as stores - they are dangerous!) - the employees are so outrageously fun to play with - who cares that I am in my mid-30s! I went to every demonstration table and had them draw something with our names and Hamleys's, or I threw and bounced a big ball with an employee, then had lots of fun in the electronics department learning to play a video game - then we made friends with an employee who when he found out it was my son's birthday - well he was extra friendly!! He had my son rolling on the floor with laughter and giggles....and that is our impression of and experience with Hamleys. After reaching the top floor and finishing filling our baskets with Legos, we stopped at the caf&eacute; and sat by the window over looking a grey and wintery cold day...looking at roof tops and just relaxing and enjoying what I saw! (We went back to Hamleys the next day because son forgot to get one more thing with the tiny bit of money he had left over from his birthday; and our friends we made there remembered us and the fun began all over again!) After our trip to Hamleys we were exhausted, but it was too early to call it a day - so off to the movie theater around the corner. We saw Harry Potter - and I like the choice of popcorn - sweet or salted! I chose what was familiar - salted. It was great - a clean theater, lots of college age people that were funny with their silliness, and we loved the movie. After the movie we went to Caf&eacute; Uno for an Italian dinner. It was yummy..... all this time I forgot to mention our very first dinner in London - it was at the Malabar Junction on Great Russell Street, and it became my son's favorite - best Indian food....and I had a Pimms cup which I felt silly with this cup full of cucumber, fruit, and umbrellas, but it tasted yummy....I had been looking forward to experiencing a Pimms in London, though it seems more of a summer cocktail than winter. <BR>

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 05:41 PM
Stephanie

(Continuation - Part Three)<BR>Next stop Covent Gardens - all kinds of people there! Punk hairdos, tourists, locals, the whole shebang all in one crowded place. Saw some interesting street performers, one with a kazoo that was funny. We went to the Transportation Museum and also bought Underground posters - I happen to already have one from my parents, and the one I bought of course had greyhounds on it! We went into some shops and looked around - found Chinatown. This is such a terrific Chinatown - cleaner than NYC's!!! The pretty store and restaurant fronts trimmed in red - lots of gold - dragons - and I liked that there are no vehicles allowed - just pedestrians. My son liked the little shops with the little knick knacks and gadgets. We ended up having dinner in a very small restaurant per our cab drivers suggestion that was really yummy. There was a table with about 5 or 6 Irishmen drinking, loud and having fun....they were a bit of a hoot, but I expected trouble when they accidentally hit the tiny little waitress in the head with an elbow as they roughhoused each other ..... I thought the table of young Chinese looking businessmen behind me were going to toss them out, so we quickly paid our check and left - with Irishmen in tow, following us...hmmm, they were interesting - well this was enough excitement for the day - now feet are bloody nubs from all of the walking.....so another good soak.<BR><BR>My son also found a game shop that sold the Magic cards he collects - he became a regular as we had to stop there every morning - the employees at the store were also lots of fun too. This shop was right around the corner from the British Museum.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 06:38 PM
onewomanwho

Why do some some women feel flattered and get all mooney (and misinterpret it as a persona compliment/flattery) when a British cab driver calls them "lovey" or "sweetheart," but if I guy does it here he gets lambasted and called a pig?

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 06:41 PM
Laura

Stephanie, don't stop now!!! We need more!! Did you ever make it to the Pizza Express near the British Museum?

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 06:45 PM
JOdy

Stephanie.....<BR><BR><BR>I loved your report.we have been going to London yearly for more years than I care to remember and your report makes it all fresh and new again!!<BR>Thank you over and over again and I know we will see you there someday again!

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 06:47 PM
NYer

Onewoman...Maybe it is the English accent-maybe because an English cabbie does it with some sort of grace, whereas the taxi drivers in NY (for example--if they speak English) would say something piggish...Meanwhile-who said they were flattered, maybe they were charmed-maybe they were happy that the cabbie was polite-depends on what you are used to-in NY it is usually just a grunt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -