Scotland & Edinburgh in late August 2017

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2017, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotland & Edinburgh in late August 2017

Hello.
Im looking for a recommendation.
BACKSTORY: My husband is an actor that will be performing in a play during the Fringe Fest this August. His last show is on Aug 26th. They have provided him with accommodations. I am planning to arrive in Scotland on Aug 23rd or 24th and spend a few days there with him before the show wraps. I can stay with him in his accommodations.
So here's my question. We have from Aug 27th - Aug 30th to either stay in Edinburgh (and find a hotel or Air BnB) or travel somewhere else before my in-laws arrive then on Aug 30th. We will meet them in Inverness and explore the highlands. So, I'm looking for advice if anyone might suggest a good spot for a 2- 3 day visit that would be quieter, charming, and allow us to relax a bit. I am 38 and he is 43 and we live in Manhattan. We do the city thing every day so we are always happy to be in a beautiful countryside. Moreover, Im sure he will be tired and looking to rest up before we do more "active" sight-seeing with his parents. I don't think we will rent a car, so someplace we can take a train to would be ideal. I like charming, authentic, and low-key. Thank you for an suggestions!
Old May 30th, 2017, 10:27 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
In Edinburgh, we just stayed at a great B&B (110 pounds a night...only two rooms with breakfast included...loved the French toast). Millers64 on Pilrig is about a 20 minute walk to center of city and 30 minutes to castle. Taxi is only about 7 or 8 pounds. Louise is a great hostess. Mum makes really good jam. She provides a restaurant list, too, of which we had some really good meals. Highly recommended! Loved Edinburgh!

http://www.millers64.com/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re..._Scotland.html

Old May 30th, 2017, 12:51 PM

You can go to Aberdeen and go to castle country. HRM is likely to be in Balmoral by then, but you can visit others. Get a car, stay outside Aberdeen and bounce around the area.

http://www.explore-aberdeen.com/thin...-castle-trail/

Doubting you're going to Inverness for Inverness, so if you have a car, go to Dunrobin Castle.
Old May 30th, 2017, 01:50 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>> I can stay with him in his accommodations. <<

Lucky you -- that will save you a fortune.

I'd spend the extra days either in Aberdeenshire as BigRuss suggests visiting Glamis, Dunnottar, Crathes, Craigievar and Deeside . . . or in the Trossachs somewhere near Callander. Visiting Inchmahome, Stirling, Doune, lochs and waterfalls, Killin etc.
Old May 30th, 2017, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank you All!
BigRuss- are you saying Inverness is not a great destination? And what is HRM? Thank you!
Old May 30th, 2017, 03:29 PM

Inverness is a location from which you would want to tour the countryside - Loch Ness, Culloden Battlefield, Urquhart Castle, and the two better intact castles - Dunrobin and Cawdor (the former is really nice, the latter is "MacBeth's" castle) - and maybe the Clava Cairns if you're into archaeology.

As a town it is ... a town. It has some pleasant areas to stroll and some shops because every town of more than 15 people in Scotland has a big whisky shop (heh) but it's not necessarily notable as a destination in itself, especially for foreign visitors. And of course it has restaurants, including various Indian restos because the Scots can't live without a good curry any more than the English.

We went there for what was in the area and liked the area. But we spent our days going to Dunrobin, Culloden and Cawdor and driving alongside Loch Ness, not puttering about Inverness.
Old May 30th, 2017, 03:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
"And what is HRM?"

Should be HM. She is Her Majesty the Queen.
Old May 30th, 2017, 05:29 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Inverness is a very busy city. Not like Glasgow or Edinburgh of course. But the only town of any size in northern Scotland. So it is the regional shopping/transport hub but that it pretty much it. Now, there is a lovely river running through town but there are much better/more scenic places to stay near Inverness but not IN it. (IF one has a car)
Old May 30th, 2017, 07:00 PM

Lucky you! We were in Edinburgh last August when my SO was attending a conference at the university there and the timing coincided with the Fringe Festival. We had a ball! The streets were packed and there was a lot of free music and entertainment. We went to a couple of ticketed events and a couple of free events and I'd say that two of the four were fabulous and the others not bad. Also, there's a wonderful modern art gallery there.

If you have a free day, take the train to North Berwick and explore the very charming main street and seashore. It's about a half-hour's ride from Edinburgh. The street is chockful of shops, gardens and cafes and it's a lovely way to spend the day.

There's a fair bit about it on-line but you can start here:
https://www.visitscotland.com/info/t...erwick-p240511