Search

Scotland

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 10:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotland

Hello there. I am off to Scotland in September and wondering if anyone out there had any ideas, places I can add to my itinearary. I will be there two weeks and as I research, realize I cannot see it all. I am trying to narrow down my search, starting in Edinburgh and going from there. So if anyone has any don't miss experiences, let me know. Thanks
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 10:39 PM

I have 46 years of experiences Would you care to narrow doen the query at all?
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 10:46 PM
Original Poster

i was going to go right from london to edinburgh and stay in edinburgh for 3 nights or so. i imagine i can do day trips from there? then leave edinburgh for another area, perhaps up north a bit...but wanting to see stirling, and then head to the east, skye, oban? that area? i will be using the bus system...so am bound to transit access...which i am sure is far better than vancouver transit!!!! not sure if this is narrowed down?
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 10:48 PM
Original Poster

p.s. i thoroughly enjoy hiking, so would like to include that in my journey...
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 02:13 AM

OK, that's clearer.

I'll have a proper look tonight and see what I can put together for you.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 05:34 PM

Have you gotten any guidebooks or looked at any websites? There's so much to see! Are you into castles? Stirling Castle is amazing.

Oh, I recommend a Witchery Tour in Edinburgh. They have a website...
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

For sure a the witchery tour, i have heard about them!! Going to get a guide book, reading lots on internet, but not being from there, it is hard to judge distances. I would "assume" one could do many day trips and such from the major cities? The distances seem short, unless the highland are involved? Shorter than what I am used to anyway in Canada....
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 10:52 AM

I'm exhausted and haven't got the rain to do this tonight, but topping so I remember later.
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 12:00 PM

I'm sure that Sheila will come up with an excellent intinerary.
All I would add is, that even after living 37 years in Scotland, it constantly suprises me how long it takes to drive around such a small country ! If you get away from the motorways, which basically only take in the central belt, you can work out your anticipated journey times in the following manner ;
- go the Michelin website, get their driving directions and time.
- instantly discard it.
- initially, forget about hours. Take a part of the day (morning/afternoon/evening)
- add on around 3 hours, until you get to a time that you think is impossible without major engine failure, civil war etc.
- add on another hour.
- then consider lunch, dinner, breakfast, supper. Think how long you'll take to munch, then double it, as the service will invariably be slow
- Take the piece of paper you've used, rip it up, say 'on bugger, I'll just drive all day'.....and you've just worked out to the exact second how long it'll take you to get anywhere in Scotland !

P.S. Maybe a slight exaggeration....but any driving will always take you longer than you think...
Good luck !