Scotland - 3 days

Search

Scotland - 3 days

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotland - 3 days

Look for itinerary help. Travelling by myself to Scotland from June 5-8.

On June 6th, I am taking a tour of Glencoe and highlands at http://www.timberbush-tours.co.uk/ed...loch_ness.html.

On June 7th, I am renting a car and going to Fall Kirk wheel, I liek to hike, what else can I do?

On June 8th, I am going to tour around Edinburgh.

Thoughts?
Old May 24th, 2010, 03:45 PM

You'll enjoy the Timberbrush tour. I just got back from Scotland and took two of their tours. Very well done. The one you're taking will be a long day though so be prepared for that.

I can't help with the hiking as I'm not able to hike. You might want to see about taking a bus to Fall Kirk instead of driving, driving in Edinburgh is a nightmare. I didn't drive there at all and I was very glad I didn't.

I would say allow more than a day to tour Edinburgh if possible. I spent a good three days wandering around and didn't see half of the 'standard' tourist stops - not to mention all the other great bits of the city.
Old May 24th, 2010, 04:01 PM

What the h--l is Fall Kirk?

There's a Falkirk Wheel. And a town called Falkirk.

Driving out of Edinburgh isn't that terrible if you're not driving through the center of the city to get out of it (i.e., you're driving from the eastern part of the city, through the center, and out to the west, or vice versa).

It's not far to Stirling from the wheel -- go there and clamber about the castle. That'll get your blood pumping.
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Big Russ, Thanks for correcting me. How about I go about planning the Fallkirk trip and Stirling? Could I take a bus or do you recommend driving?
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 06:22 AM
ron

There's certainly no reason to rent a car to visit Falkirk and Stirling -- train will do nicely.

When I visited the Falkirk Wheel a couple of years ago, I followed a route that included a bit of the Antonine Wall. See http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/2007/...dianspecial240

I took the train from Edinburgh to and from Camelon. If you wanted to go on to Stirling after seeing the wheel, it would be easy to get the train from one of the Falkirk stations. See the Scotrail website for information.
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 08:02 AM

CM: I think Ron has your answer. Stirling is on a main rail line, so that's relatively easy. The www.nationalrail.co.uk site should be your source for train scheduling. I always prefer trains to buses.