Scility and Amalfi Coast trip in Oct.

Old Apr 12th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scility and Amalfi Coast trip in Oct.

I need your advise on our upcoming trip in Oct. Please critique my initial thoughts and let me know what you think:

3 days Palermo
1 day Agrigento
2 days Syracusa
2 days Taormina

All of the above by a rental car.

Drop the car off in Messina and train to Salerno. Take either a bus or a ferry to:

Praiano for 2 days
Sorrento for 2 days

Train to Rome for 2 days.

My biggest concern is the Amalfi Coast. DH has weak knees and I'm not sure of staying or visiting this area. Is there transportation getting up and down the hills? Is Ravello flat making it a better choice?
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 12:56 AM

Hi Carmar - Ravello, Amalfi and Sorrento are all relatively flat, so shouldn't present any major problems.

The place which might be most problematic would be Positano - but you can get there easily by ferry and still enjoy the lower town area around the beach.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 11:12 AM

Be there next month and will post our experiences: arr Palermo on Celebrity Millennium; rental car; 3 nights in Taormina; 4 nights in Ravello.
M
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 08:12 PM

just in Ravello - its only flat in comparison to the extremely steep mountains all around. I guess there are a handful hotels (graal maybe?) that face the road coming into town, but for most you have to do some uphill. The Villa Rufolo can be seen without climbing but Cimbrone is quite a long way uphill. They actually use donkeys and mules in parts of the town to aid in construction work, etc and carry luggage up in carts since cars cant pass.Nothing on the Amalfi coast is particularly flat. only you can judge whether your companion's knee problem would be a serious impediment. I dont have particularly strong knees but spent a couple of months exercising before my trip to strenghen my leg muscles so we could hike on Amalfi Coast without killing my knees -I took a hiking pole along which was a good help and we hiked for 3 days without ill effect.

I suspect that Sorrento might be easier for a person with serious mobility issues -
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 08:32 PM

steve you seem to know Amalifi coast well i am taking a walking tour in september and have to get from rome to naples to the hotel executive by train its the first time i have been overseas and had to catch trains is it just a matter of purchasing a ticketon the station
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the help. I think we'll have to spend all 4 days in Sorrento and take day trip to the Amalfi Coast.
Can anyone help me with the best mode of transportation from Salerno to Sorrento?