Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Musee Rodin/Any benefit to getting advance online tickets?

Apr 16th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

I see you can order advance tickets to the Musee Rodin on their website (www.musee-rodin.fr). Is there any benefit to doing this? Are there lines we could avoid (we'll be there May 25)? Thanks.
Apr 16th, 2007, 09:44 AM

I was there in July. There wasn't much of a line, but I was able to jump ahead with my museum pass. You probably won't encounter a huge crowd that time of year. Enjoy the Rodin! It was one of my favorite stops in Paris.
Apr 16th, 2007, 09:56 AM
tod

Just stroll in - we found it pretty devoid of crowds.
Apr 16th, 2007, 10:04 AM

o early.

We got there as it opened at 09:30, and there was no line at all. We were able to have coffee and a pastry in the cafeteria in the garden, and then spend one of the most delightful times of our trip, all alone in the marvelous sculpture garden. We literally had it entirely to ourselves for quite some time.

Apr 16th, 2007, 10:29 AM

I have been to the Rodin twice. The first time was on "national open" day and there was no admission charge. There was no line despite large numbers of people both entering and leaving.

The second time was a "pay" day and there were so few people that the only delay was buying the tickets at the window. That must have taken an extra 45 seconds. Money into the ticket person's hands; tickets into my hand. No big deal.

Most of the best features of the museum is out of doors which means you are free to wander the gardens and look at the various works of art. The various sculptures are spread out so that a dozen or more people can be viewing the same work without crowding.

Be sure to find the marble busts that Rodin did. My recall is hazy as to the exact location, but the marble is stored in cabinets so that the surfaces will not be damaged by air pollution.

In particular find the bust of Clemanceau. Rodin made him out to look like a Mongolian warrior. Clemanceau hated the thing, but Rodin defended his accomplishment by saying that his goal was to capture the inner man. If you will read up on Clemanceau before you go, and then find his bust, I think you will get a big laugh out of it.

Rodin even included a little hair top knot and a curly mustache on the figure. Brilliant in my opinion. I thought that the artist did indeed capture the inner man.

The sculpture of Balzac is also most impressive. There was some woman there who kept referring to him as Prozac. Ugh!!

Naturally almost all visitors view the Gates of Hell and the Burghers of Calais. They are in open areas and easily viewed even if there are many visitors at the time.

I was not as impressed with the inside of the house.
Apr 16th, 2007, 10:36 AM

Question on English usage:

Most is?
Most are?

I don't know which is correct. Somebody enlighten me.
Apr 16th, 2007, 11:01 AM

Most of the best features are....

And it's Clemenceau...
Apr 16th, 2007, 11:15 AM

No line at all when we went in the middle of the day and my favorite museum in Paris. I love the work and the atmosphere here is wonderful. Enjoy.
Apr 16th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Great info--thanks everybody!