Search

Amalfi Coast

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amalfi Coast

Spending three nights, three days in Positano; will have a car and not adverse to driving. How far do I drive down the coast and where are the best stops?
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 07:13 AM
ira

Hi C,

You can drive down the coast to Paestum and up the coast to Sorrento.

Stop where ever you can find a place to admire the view.

Amalfi is a nice town.

Old Feb 16th, 2010, 08:49 AM

The most beautiful drive is from Sorrento to Amalfi (in this direction). One mile west of Amalfi, there is the Grotta Smeraldi, similar to the Blue Lagoon on Capri. Spend some time in Amalfi - the cathedral is breathtaking and the town is beautiful.

I also recommend a boat trip along the coast. There is a kind of ferry boat with a regular schedule and many stops along the coast.

http://www.metrodelmare.com/
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 10:37 AM

Leave the car parked--you can thank me later--and take the ferry boat from Positano to Amalfi and then the SITA bus up to Ravello and back. Take the SITA bus back to Positano after enjoying a magical day. I have driven that coast twice and I do not suggest it if you want to see anything. We are going back in May and plan to use public transport from Naples to Sorrento to Praiano and all along that coast. Having a car is too much hassle.
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 11:57 AM

I fully agree with Bob; SITA busus are the best option,don't miss Amalfi and Ravello,the Grotta Smeralda is not really good IMO,you can devote a fuul day to Capri,take a ferry and you will have a really good day trip.We have spent a full week in the zone last september and you can read my report if you click on my name.Enjoy your stay!!!!!
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 12:25 PM

Take the bus up to Ravello and go the the Balcony of Infinity at Villa Cimbrone. The view is AMAZING.
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 05:34 PM

Have driven the coast a couple of times (May, not midsummer) and enjoyed it a lot. Much better to stop where and when you want - a cute town, or just a nice view) than be stuck with a bus schedule - and possible mobs and waiting for the next bus. You just need to be sure that your hotel has parking (many don;t) so you don;t end up fighting locals for place to park,

And IMHO the most obvious place to drive to is Pompeii.