School trip to Paris

Search

School trip to Paris

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
School trip to Paris

Any advice for a mother of 16 year old girl - her first time away from home - she has flown once (very short flight)This time fying from Canada to Paris.

They have two free days and I would like to give her some advice on places to see, things to do.

Also looking for any type of travel advice that I can pass on to her about travel in Europe. She is traveling with a tour - but I'm still nervous.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 10:20 AM

yeah, I would be too, it's a long ways.

Instead of just mentioning things she can do or giving web sites (of which there is tons of info online for free about what to do in Paris). I think you should buy her a good guidebook geared to young people and let her read it. It will help her learn about the city (most have at least some history), and she can read about the major sites or museums and decide what sounds fun to her. Also, the right guidebook might have some tips or ideas that will help her out about travel.

Let's Go is more college-age, but about the youngest I can think of and I think would be a good idea for her. The other best alternative I can think of is Time Out Paris.

Just be sure she has your phone number and knows how to make calls from France for your peace of mind, and find out how she plans to take care of her money and important stuff.

I don't think anyone can make the best suggestions as to what she should do because she is no doubt covering the main sites with the school trip, isn't she? So we'd have to know what she is already doing on the tinerary. Frankly, with two free days, she'll probably just want to hang out with her friends walking up and down the Champs Elysees or something.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 10:36 AM

My 16-year old daughter is taking a school trip to Italy this June so I can understand your concerns. You will probably be less worried if you meet the other people on the tour. There will be undoubtedly at least a few people (chaperones?) who are well-travelled. I would speak to them and see if they can take your daughter under their wings. That's what I've done. I've made plans for my daughter to spend her free time with the Latin and Art teachers, who are also taking other students around on an informal basis on their free afternoons (God bless 'em!). To tell you the truth, there's no way I'd let my daughter loose on the streets by herself. She'd be lost in two seconds flat, and having only a rudimentary command of the language, she'd be in a pickle.

Also, as Christina mentioned, do lots of reading and research on your own! Your daughter might come up with some wonderful ideas on her own.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 11:18 AM

HI ckparistrip,
My daughter went on her first European trip when she was just 12. It was with people to people/student ambassadors, and it was shortly after the 9/11 attacks. Needless to say I was a nervous reck, but all turned out well. It has been a few years since then, and she still talks about it regularly.

If I were you I would have a lot of questions for those in charge of this trip. They will have 2 days on their own. Are there rules? What are they? Etc...
Try to relax because this is an experience your daughter will talk about and remember for a long time.

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 06:41 PM

I went with my school when I was 16! I'm now 20 and will be going back for my honeymoon summer 06.
You're lucky you're only a bit nervous - my mom threw up repeatedly the morning I left because she was so scared.
We were also set free for a couple of days, and I, with two other 16 year old girls, were able to navigate the streets of Paris painlessly. We had experience with the metro by that point, so we really didn't have a problem.
As far as places to see, maybe her teacher could suggest places that are specific to her interests. We were given a list of ideas (possibly on a map?) and we had no trouble finding things to do. Just walking around, soaking it all in, and shopping was enough!
Travel advice: as a young woman, I was (as I am in some situations at home) overly cautious to protect myself. Put your backpack in front of you on the metro, always travel in pairs (at least), try to avoid deserted, unlit areas at night, etc. That's kind of commensense that I assume most women do anyway.
Don't worry, your daughter will return safely and have a great time! This truly is a chance of a lifetime for her!

On a side note, where are you in Canada? I'm studying in Quebec City this summer.

Katie
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 09:12 PM

"They have two free days and I would like to give her some advice on places to see, things to do."

w/o knowing what they have already planned, I can't see how anyone can give you useful suggestions for other things to see/do.

What does the published itinerary look like???
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:37 AM

Be sure to get her a pouch that goes under her clothing for her passport and money/cc.