Search

Schengen

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2008, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Schengen

Can someone explain the visa requirements to me, so I can explain them to someone else.

Someone I know has rented an apartment in Paris for 6 months. I was under the impression you can't stay for more than 90 days without then leaving for at least 90 days.

What if during the first 90 days you do leave and come back (go to Spain for a week, go to Italy for a week, etc.)?

What is the penalty for overstaying (since you don't need a visa to enter initially)?

Thanks for your help.
Old Dec 31st, 2008, 01:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There is a long-stay visa ("D&quot that allows for more than 90 days within Schengen.

Going to Spain or Italy and returning to France does not re-set the clock. They're all Schengen countries.

I can't confirm the accuracy of everything on this website, but it's a place to start:

http://www.immihelp.com/visas/schengenvisa/
Old Dec 31st, 2008, 02:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Briefly leaving Schengen countries does not count (going to London for the weekend). I believe it's 90 days within a year?

They needs to get an extended visa to stay 6 months.
Old Dec 31st, 2008, 02:25 PM

Having your passport stamped upon entering any one of the Schengen countries (which now includes Switzerland!) is like getting a visa without the hassle of getting a visa ahead of time. And - as already stated - it lets you move among all the Schengen countries for up to 90 days, then you have to be out of the Schengen area for 90 days before you can re-enter. A quick trip across borders does not reset the clock, it keeps running, but if you're still within the 90 days from your earlier entry, you can come back in.

But 6 months in France requires getting the appropriate visa in advance. It is a bit of a hassle, but gazillions have done it, obviously it can be done.

Old Dec 31st, 2008, 03:36 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I assume they will have round trip tickets - right. If so, the date on the return tix will alert the immigration officers that they plan on staying more than 90 days - so it is probable they would be placed on a return flight back home and never set foot in their rented apartment.

Or . . . If they arrive on one-way tix - then that will also alert the authorities.

So they really do need to get visas. When is the trip - if soon they are probably SOL.

Old Dec 31st, 2008, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

No, the trip isn't soon - it's in June, so they have time to prepare. What gets you an extended Visa? They will have return tickets, and obviously a place to stay -- is there anything else they need to show (tax returns ?)
Old Dec 31st, 2008, 03:42 PM

http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/fra...045/index.html
Old Dec 31st, 2008, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. I've forwarded this information to them.
Old Dec 31st, 2008, 04:17 PM
J62

I'm not quite sure how return date janis mentions would flag immigration. 1) Tickets are electronic these days - nobody (almost) carries paper tickets and 2) I've never been asked to show any return / exit information upon arrival into Europe.

Old Dec 31st, 2008, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Well if that's true, how would the need for a long-stay visa ever come up (until you're leaving)?
Old Dec 31st, 2008, 04:21 PM

Yes, they would they know the return date since you must enter it on your landing card.

There is even a very good chance the airline would not let them on the plane in the first place. If passport/visa documentation is has to be in order at check-in.
Old Dec 31st, 2008, 04:28 PM

sheesh - edit janisj!!

But you get the idea - they don't want to submit fraudulent landing cards.
Old Dec 31st, 2008, 04:30 PM

They need to contact the French consulate and get the complete details. But, at a minimum they will need to show:

Where they will be staying the whole time they are there
Sufficient funds to live on while there (bank accounts etc)
That they intend to return home eventually (return ticket, job they are going back to or property they own in the US)
Proof of full medical coverage while they are in schengen

I'm sure there are other details - and only the consulate can provide full official information.
Old Dec 31st, 2008, 04:32 PM
J62

What landing card janis? I must have missed something the last 10 or so times I've flown to Europe.

Ditto for passport - airline personnel at checkin look to see if it's a valid passport & name matches ticket. The airline doesn't ask or care how long you're staying. For all they know you could be just passing through.

How will the authorities know you've overstayed your allowed time? Well, they really won't, but you (they) will be there illegally if they stay past 90d without a visa.

Old Dec 31st, 2008, 04:40 PM

your friends can listen to J62 - or they can contact the French Consul and find out how to do it legally.

There are all sorts off points at which their plans can go pear shaped . . . . . .
Old Dec 31st, 2008, 04:46 PM
J62

I'm not disagreeing with the need to contact the consulate. Never once did I say they should not have a visa.

I do, however, think travelers benefit from accurate information, not tales that just aren't true.

In my experience your info re landing cards and airlines caring about return dates is not correct. If your experience is different please inform us.

Old Dec 31st, 2008, 05:12 PM

The airline will only be interested in the following:
a) the passport is valid (often aminimum of 6 months);
b) the name matches reservation;
c) there is no inadequate documentation that prevents the passenger from being allowed in. Some nationalities need a Schengen visa, and if the passport doesn't contain it, they won't be allowed to board, as airline will be fined by the destination country by carrying an inadequately-documented passenger. But as US passport holder doesn't need a separate visa for a visit, its absence will not concern them.

So what will happen if the passenger exceeds the 90 days allowed in Schengen? Nothing initially, until they try to leave the Schengen area. If their overstay is spotted, there may be repercussions - just a telling off, a fine, or banned from returning for several years. Also they may hit a problem if their overstay is detected while they are still in Schengen, such as when reporting a crime to the police, being caught for some infringements such as speeding, being involved in an accident, or when they fall ill and then find their medical coverage is invalidated as an overstayer (this depends on the T&C of the policy).

So the traveller concerned should get a long stay (6 months) visa for France at the nearest visa-issuing French consulate, which allows them to travel 90-in-180 days throughout the rest of Schengen, but only after registering their stay at a local foreigners office. There are some documentation required as already pointed (in addition, they may need to supply a medical certificate showing being free from certain illnesses, mental illness and drug addiction) and criminal record clearance. It takes a while for the visa to be processed, as all applications are referred to Paris - about 4-6 weeks is usual.
Old Dec 31st, 2008, 05:42 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The airlines do care and question when you check-in or at least they did when my daughter was going to Spain for 6 months. While no one travels with paper tickets anymore, it doesn't mean the agent can't see your entire ticket when you check-in.
Old Dec 31st, 2008, 05:51 PM

&quot;<i>The airlines do care and question when you check-in</i>&quot; That is my experience as well. I observed a passenger being pulled aside at SFO check-in for a flight to CDG because he didn't have a R-T ticket or visa (I only heard bits of the conversation - he was at the next station and was quite upset.

Old Dec 31st, 2008, 10:10 PM

I wouldn't worry about the 90 day Schengen. I flew into CDG in early December 08. The immigration police didn't even look at my passport. No entry or exit stamps in my passport. For two trips to Amsterdam in 08 I have entry and exit stamps but I asked for them. If you have the little blue book you are good to go and stay for whenever, in my experience.

BTW, the official rule is 90 days in a 180 day period for Yanks in the Schengen Zone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -