Search

Scenic Train Zurich to Zermatt

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2019, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scenic Train Zurich to Zermatt

Hello,
We have the option of flying into Zurich, Geneva, or Milan on our way to Zermatt. I've been reading online that the train from Zurich isn't that scenic, unless we go via Kandersteg, which adds about 1.5 hrs to the journey.
Flying to Zurich appeals because we can get a non-stop flight from our home city. We also thought that the train ride to Zermatt from Zurich would fulfill our wish for a scenic train ride, but that might not be the case. We might also take the Zermatt to St. Moritz train, if time allows. We are there for only 3 days. What's your opinion of the Zurich to Zermatt journey?

This will be in late May 2020. We will be 3-4-or 5 adults.

Any and all opinions appreciated. Thanks.
Old Oct 29th, 2019, 02:36 PM

Hello,

Do you mean 3 days in Zermatt or 3 days for the whole trip in Switzerland?

Whare are you going to after the 3 days? Flying home from Zürich? Going to Italy?

If you have only 3 days you have time only for Zermatt, perhaps a bit of something else, but taking the Glacier Express to St. Moritz would be too much for 3 days.

The shortest train route from Zürich to Zermatt is not particularly scenic, save for a few short sections (Thun-Spiez) but it takes only 3 hours and you have to change trains only once(in Visp).

If you're willing to spend more time on trains and do multiple changes you can make the trip as scenic as you wish(not as scenic as the Glacier or Bernina Express, but stil stunning if it is your first time in Switzerland):

Zürich - Luzern - Interlaken Ost - Spiez - Brig - Zermatt

As you can see this scenic route involves 4 changes and takes about 6-7 hours.

It's your choice. Ask everyone in the group and split in 2 groups if some of you'd rather get there the quick and easy way.
Old Oct 29th, 2019, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

BDKR,
Thank you for your input. I have been to Switzerland before, many years ago. I spent some time in Lucerne.
After Zermatt, we are going to Stresa and then further into Italy. But, only 3 days in Zermatt.

Our flight into Zurich is a long one, so I think we may just opt for the shorter train ride. I realize we could stay in Zurich one night and then start fresh on the longer ride the next day. At this point, we are very flexible, but as I'm the obsessive trip planner, I want to make it as memorable for my family as possible.

Thanks again.
Old Oct 29th, 2019, 03:32 PM

I'd spend the first night in Luzern(Lucerne), it's only 1 hour by train from Zürich Airport, but would give a you good head start for the long trip to Zermatt on the next day.

Alternative scenic route from Luzern to Zermatt:

Lake steamer(some of the ships are actually real steamships) from Luzern to Flüelen(about 3 hours on the lake) than the rest by train: Flüelen - Erstfeld - Göschenen - Andermatt - Zermatt. The last section from Andermatt to Zermatt can be done on the famous Glacier Express(even though the more scenic parts of its route are in Graubünden).

You start around 9 am and arrive to Zermatt by 5 pm, but it's well worth it, especially if the weather is nice.
Old Oct 30th, 2019, 02:55 AM

All will depend on your arrival time and on your fatigue after a overnight flight.
Direct trains Zurich airport - Zermatt (3 hrs 28 min journey, with only 1 change at Visp):
ZRH dp 6.46 and then every hr until 18.46
Trains ZRH - Zermatt with change at Bern and Visp (3 hrs 33 min)
ZRH dp 6.09, 8.18, 10.18, 12.18, 14.18, 16.18, 20.18
Traiins via the scenic line via Kandersteg with change at Bern and Brig (4 hrs 33 min)
ZRH dp 6.09, 7.18, 8.18 and then every hr until 15.18.

If you travel with a SwissTravel Pass, with a Saver Day Pass or with a standard ticket, you can easily decide to switch from the direct train to the Loetschberger train via Kandersteg at Bern, Thun or Spiez.
The standard fare is the same for both itineraries.
You cannot change your trains or itineraries if you travel with a Supersaver ticket, however.
Old Oct 30th, 2019, 04:12 AM

As an alternative, if you want to view scenery. fly into Milan, train to Domodossola, Italy, take the Post Auto bus to Brig and then train to Zermatt. Bus 631 departs Domodossola at 12:50 and arrives Brig at 14:31. I just travelled that route in reverse, viewing the scenery of the Simplon pass.

While the scenery over the Alps from Spiez via Kandersteg to Brig is excellent, at the top, you travel via tunnel. It is not until you come to the other side that the view, traveling down the mountain is spectacular.

You have several choices, all of which have their good and bad points.

If you are not set on Zermatt, my preference for train scenery would be to fly into Zurich, train to Chur and board the Bernina Express to Tirano, Italy.

Huggy
Old Oct 31st, 2019, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all.
I'm leaning toward the flight to Zurich option, as it seems simpler. I loved Lucerne previously, and would be happy to stay there and start fresh the next day. I see there are many options to choose from.

If it were me solo, I'd skip Zermatt, but my husband is keen to see the Matterhorn, and that's his only "must" do, so far.

Thanks for all the detailed responses, it's very helpful.
Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 06:48 AM

.....so you will have only a bit more than a full day at Zermatt. Let's hope that the Matterhorn will not be behind the clouds just on that day!
But there is not only the Matterhorn. Zermatt is surrounded by 37 other more than 13000 ft high peaks.
Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 07:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My recollection is that the route from Visp to Zermatt on the narrow gauge rail, Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn (aside from being a really nice train, even in 2nd class) is particularly scenic. It takes about an hour from Visp to Zermatt.

We took the route from Montreux to Zermatt and back, but I think the Zurich to Zermatt . . . since both change at Visp, are lovely!

Last edited by Surfergirl; Nov 2nd, 2019 at 07:37 AM.
Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 08:35 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I was in Zermatt for 2 1/2 days in early September. The Matterhorn came out of the clouds for about 90 seconds. However it was a good 90 seconds!

But as neckervd says, there were other big peaks to look at.

Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

We will spend 3 days in Zermatt, before heading off to Stresa. So hopefully, we would get some viewing of the Matterhorn. (or other mountains)

Thank you all for your suggestions....so many options! Lots to think about.

Surfergirl and Nelson...thanks for the photos. We love trains! Where we live, train options are rare, so we enjoy riding the trains.
Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 02:02 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Great photo Nelson! A good use of that 90 seconds!
Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 07:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Well Nelson's photos are better than mine, but if you love trains (as we do!), you will LOVE the train up to the Matterhorn area!

Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 01:43 AM

a few steps from Rotenboden railway station (above Zermatt)
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 02:04 AM

Zermatt is more than the Matterhorn. The town itself is delightful. Small, easily walkable, geared to tourism but in a good way and with excellent food. I highly recommend the Stockhorn restaurant with its meats done on a wood fire. And oysters at Else's Bar is a real treat. Both "The Little Bar" and the Hexen Bar on the main street are fun places to observe the skiers and the tourists. Our son skis; we sit in front of a roaring fire and relax. What's not to like? I also recommend the Hotel Allalin with its great lobby with fireplace and terrific breakfast room and lovely breakfast treats.
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 06:21 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for the comments on the photo. I was lucky to get that 90 seconds, and to look over my shoulder at the right time! It was downhill from the lake in neckervd's excellent shot.

Good luck on your trip Calabria. If the weather forces you indoors then the little Zermatt mountaineering museum is worth a quick look. You can see the legendary rope that broke in 1865.
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

I'm thinking of pushing the trip to early June, in hopes of better weather. But I know that the weather can interfere with the best laid plans.....and thankfully, we're all pretty adaptable. It's all part of the adventure!

Your photos are inspiring. I've also had my eye on the Dolomiti for years, but that's probably for another time.
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 08:10 AM

" I've also had my eye on the Dolomiti for years, but that's probably for another time"
.... unless you are a railway fan. These species of human beings combine Glacier Express, Unterengadiner Bahn, Vinschgerbahn, Brennerbahn and Pustertabahn, for example like this:
Zermatt dp 8.52 - Glacier Express (with dining car) - Samedan 16.32/17.13 - Unterengadinerbahn - Scuol-Tarasp 18.25/18.30 - Postbus - Mals 19.58/20.20 - Vinschgerbahn - Merano/Meran ar 21.39.
Merano/Meran dp 8.16 - Brennerbahn - Franzensfeste 9.44/9.50 - Pustertalbahn - Toblach 11.05/11.10 - Bus SAD - Cortina d'Ampezzo ar 11.55