Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving from Zurich to Tasch (Zermatt) --do I have to do the tunnel/train thing?

Search

Driving from Zurich to Tasch (Zermatt) --do I have to do the tunnel/train thing?

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Annette

I've read some info about a train and a long dark tunnel... Will I need to do that on this route?

Old May 5th, 2002, 09:28 PM
chris

If you'll be traveling after the Passes open around the beginning of June. If you're not in a rush to get there you could drive south from Luzern on the A2 to Andermatt and over the Furka Pass.

Old May 6th, 2002, 01:15 AM
Robert

I have been over the Furka Pass..OMG! If you do not mind LOTS of hairpin curves, steep grades, sheer cliffs, and narrow roads...by all means go over the pass I'll never do that one again!!<BR>There are 2 better ways you can go:<BR>1) - Take the A1 to Bern then South on the A8 to Spiez. Then South on 72 to Kandersteg..take the Autoverladung (car-train) through the L&ouml;tschberg tunnel (runs approx. every 15 minutes). From there you are only about 5 miles from Visp..then on to T&auml;sch.<BR>2) - Go west on the A1 to the A2, then South to Luzern..continue on the A2 to Andermatt, but instead of going over the Furka pass, take the Autoverladung from Realp through the tunnel (exits at Oberwald). From there it is only a short drive to Brig/Visp/and then T&auml;sch.<BR>Either way is very scenic, and I HIGHLY recommend using the car-train...it saves a LOT of wear and tear on the nerves (and saves a lot of time too).

Old May 6th, 2002, 05:33 AM
Bob Brown

The Furka is very scenic. Just another Swiss Mountain Pass with a few curves.<BR><BR>The train ferry through the L&ouml;tschberg Tunnel between Kandersteg and Goppenstein never seemed like a big deal to me<BR>Just pay the fee, drive your car onto the train car, set the brakes, put the transmission in either park or a low gear, and doze off until you get to the other end. <BR><BR>There are two ways or three variations in the route from Z&uuml;rich, but the easiest way, I think, is to take the autohbahn via Bern and Spiez to Kandersteg, ride through the tunnel on the train, drive down the hill to the Rhone River, head east to Visp, and then turn south to T&auml;sch where you park and take the shuttle train to Zermatt.<BR> <BR>The route is relatively flat until you drive down the hill from Goppenstein to the Rhone River. Along the Rhone the route is flat, with some upgrade as you ascend the valley toward T&auml;sch. <BR>It is either the passes or the tunnel.<BR><BR><BR>