Geneva to Zurich on a Train

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I posted yesterday, and am now totally convinced the train is the way to go there in Switzerland. Thanks for all the input.

Now what I was wondering is which scenic train lines would be good to get me in the general direction from Geneva (where I get in) to Zurich (where I leave) in about two days.

Someone suggested the Panorama Express that goes from Mountreux to Interlaken and that sounds amazing.

So what I'm wondering is whether it is difficult to get from Geneva to Mountreux and from Interlaken to Zurich, are there other train routes which I should consider and is it possible to get on and off those trains in the individual towns they pass by (it looks like there are about 4 stops along the way).

Thanks for the responses!!
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 06:48 PM

I would look at the GoldenPass Route if you want to go from Geneve to Zürich by train.

http://www.goldenpass.ch/GPL/main.asp

This web site will give you the details.

Some changes of train are mandatory because the track guage and type track changes with the conditions.

This web site will show you the schedule:

http://www.swisstravelsystem.ch/Gold....html?&L=2

If you want to look around Interlaken for a while, the West station is closer to the main shopping streets than is the East station.

The train to Luzern over the Brünig Pass originates from Interlaken Ost (East).

You can leave Interlaken Ost at 15:08 and have enough daylight to see the valley from the Brünig Pass.

In the summer, the view is obscured by the trees. In the winter, with no leaves on the deciduous trees, you should get a better peek at the valley.

It might not be THE GoldenPass train, but it travels via the same route.

After you ascend the pass try to sit on the left, relative to the direction of travel, for a view of the lake at Sarnen. It is nice to view.

As you ascend the pass, I am not sure which side to sit on. Probably you will want to look from one side and then the other.

I have not ridden over that pass on a train in 9 years, but I drove it last summer, up and down on the same day. When driving, you see the road!!! And the truck in front of you!

All told I must have gone up and down that pass 7 or 8 times. It is not the most spectacular one in Switzerland, but it is ok for an appetizer.

If you want a splendid one, you must return in the summer when the Grimsel, Furka, and Susten Passes are open. Now those 3 will jolt your shoe laces!!

The Furka is a royal ride! The Susten is beautiful, and the Grimsel is dramatic, particularly going up from Meiringen/Innetkirchen.

Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 08:33 PM

Hi cclemens31,

I'm happy you've chosen to do the Panoramic (full name is "Golden Pass Panoramic&quot route by train; you won't be disappointed. Consider a stop in the sweet town of Gstaad for lunch.

You can see all the Swiss train schedules at www.rail.ch, so you can find the routes from Geneva to Montreux (about 60-90 minutes) and from Interlaken to Zurich (with its many routes).

The specific site for the Golden Pass route is www.mob.ch. As bob brown notes above, lots of trains go that route without being the special "Panoramic" cars. On the www.rail.ch site, just make sure you use Montreux - Interlaken "via Zweisimmen" to get it.

Have fun!

s
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 08:03 AM

How are the Golden Pass Panoramic segments denoted on the sbb.ch timetables?

The major trips I'll be taking will be Zurich HB-Grindlewald, Grindlewald-Zermatt and Zermatt-Montreux.

So for instance, I'm guessing only part of the trip between Zurich and Grindlewald will be available via GPP trains? I see a lot of InterCity, Regio, InterRegio segments. Which of these if any are GPP trains?

Some of these routes go through Bern, some go directly to Interlaken Ost, some go through Luzern. I'm assuming the one through Luzern might involve boarding a GPP train at Luzern?
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 08:17 AM

>How are the Golden Pass Panoramic segments denoted on the sbb.ch timetables?

Not at all.

>The major trips I'll be taking will be Zurich HB-Grindlewald, Grindlewald-Zermatt and Zermatt-Montreux.

So for instance, I'm guessing only part of the trip between Zurich and Grindlewald will be available via GPP trains? I see a lot of InterCity, Regio, InterRegio segments. Which of these if any are GPP trains?

Who cares! You need a train from Lucerne to Interlaken and from Interlaken (actually from Zweisimmen) to Montreux, or in the opposite direction. It is the line which is sold as "Golden Pass Express". Unless you can reserve a VIP seat on the part between Montreux and Zweisimmen on mob.ch, it does not matter.

>Some of these routes go through Bern, some go directly to Interlaken Ost, some go through Luzern. I'm assuming the one through Luzern might involve boarding a GPP train at Luzern?

Not a GPP train, but certainly a red Zentralbahn train which runs on the route marketed as "Golden Pass".
You have to play around with the "VIA" function on sbb.ch
To: Zürich
via: Interlaken

Clicking on the train number gets you a table with all stops, so you can see where it runs through. Clicking on each of the stations gives you the full departure plan for this station.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 08:32 AM

Hi cclemens31,

Just fyi, when you use www.rail.ch and input your cities, you get the schedule. When you scroll down for the details of each connection, under comments you'll see "GOLDEN PASS." Do it for Montreux to Gstaad, and you'll see what I mean. Not all trains are GP; the GP trains only have special cars on them with panoramic windows.

Good luck!

s
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 09:15 AM

OK I do see that when I try Montreux to Gstaad.

But when I try Zurich-Grindlewald (for Monday 1/29 AM), none of the itineraries have Golden Pass, even though one has a Luzern-Interlaken OST segment.

Oh well guess it's not to be.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 09:22 AM

The Golden Pass trains sometimes have panorama cars which have larger windows; this is in addition to the cars with seats which look out over the front and rear of the train which are not found on other services such as Inter-City, etc.

As to your question about difficulty getting from Geneva to Montreux...not at all difficult but be aware that the Golden Pass trains leave from the MOB station which is attached to the rear of the SBB station where you will arrive from Geneva.

No worries..the stations aren't so large that you'll get lost and there is good signage.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 01:01 PM

Bob Brown gave you two official web sites that show the route, the cities, and the schedule. Why don't you try looking at what you were told?