Reload this Page >

Scavi tour or Catacombs or both?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Lucy

Would you recommend one over the other for a short stay in Rome? I know you have to write ahead for Scavi tour tickets; do you need reservations for the Catacombs too?

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 09:18 AM
jerryp1

No, you don't need a reservation for the catacombs. As least you didn't in 2000 at St. Sabastiano. I'm heading back to Rome this September and already have reservations for the Scavi. The catacombs were neat, but we're not going back.<BR><BR>jp

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 02:37 PM
Doug Weller

Depends on how short your stay is!<BR><BR>Consider St. Priscilla's catacombs rather than one of the others.<BR><BR>Doug

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 09:40 PM
Lucy

Thanks for the replies. We have 4 days in Rome. Leaning towards the catacombs, since we don't need reservations & aren't exactly sure about our schedule. Doug, if you get back to this question, what's different about Priscillas catacombs? Thanks.

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Doug Weller

I say a bit about them in my Rome report at http://www.ramtops.demon.co.uk/4rome.html<BR><BR>Earliest picture of Mary, for instance.<BR>Less touristy. Other great early frescoes. THe web site at the American Catholic Church in Rome says:<BR>"he Catacombs of Saint Priscilla<BR><BR>One of the most interesting of the smaller catacombs and one of the best tours in Rome. You are taken in small groups by one of the English speaking nuns who are in residence here. And ask to see the vestments they make as they are quite beautiful. Situated under a villa owned by the ancient Roman family of Arcili of which Saint Priscilla was a member. A number of popes were buried here between 300 and 500 because the catacombs of Saint Callistus were full. The Greek Chapel is one of the great sites contained within this catacomb. Located on the Via Salaria 430.<BR>Admission 4,000 Euro ($3.50)<BR>HOURS: (Winter) 8:30 AM to 12 Noon and 2:30 PM to 5 PM (Summer) 8:30 AM to 12 Noon and 2:30 PM to 5:30 PM<BR>CLOSED MONDAYS AND THE MONTH OF JANUARY"<BR><BR>Our nun guide was great!<BR><BR>Doug

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Lucy

Thanks for the great info!

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Walter

For the Catacombs type-in archeobus in the "Text Search" and click-on "Italy" & "Find". Always check the opening & closing hours (12-2:30? for lunch plus the days they are closed. Regards, Walter