Sarlat in October

Aug 10th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Sarlat in October

Will the crowds still be heavy in October? Intolerable?

We are thinking of spending 2 nights here in order to enjoy the town at night, and enjoy dinner at Presidial. La Villa des Consuls seems the obvious choice based on comments here.

The other reason for staying right in Sarlat is also to enjoy the market on Saturday. Will it still be running in the first half of October?
Thank you!

Lucy
Aug 10th, 2009, 02:19 PM

No, it won't be terribly crowded in October, though very busy on market days. The market runs all year round.
Aug 10th, 2009, 03:11 PM

Some sites have reduced hours of operation in October.

For example, Chateau Hautefort is open June, July, & Aug 9:30-7. In April & May 10-12:30 and 2-6:30. In October, only 2-6. Ch Puymartin has similar opening hours in Oct, and so does Jardins d’Eyrignac.

Stu Dudley
Aug 10th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Stu & St. Cirq. We'll have to be sure to watch for the reduced hours.

Unfortunately early October will have to do, so we'll make the best of it.
-Lucy
Aug 10th, 2009, 04:27 PM

As StCirc says, October is not overly crowded in Sarlat.

You absolutely must stay at Villa des Consuls if you can. For comfort, convenience and charm, there are few equals in the area -- or in much of France, in my experience. David, the owner, is a delight.

Since you are there only two days, perhaps the schedules of nearby attractions are not so important to you. One visit that you will never forget is Josephine Baker's chateaux, Les Milandes, not far from Sarlat. You will learn so much about this remarkable American.

If you can, spend a Friday night at David's and see the market the next day without having to stress about parking. Then, around noon, take your picnic things to the Chateau de Marquayssac, quite near Sarlat, where the picnic grounds are within sight of at least three spectacular chateaux.

I endorse your dinner at Presidial, which is I think Sarlat's best restaurant. For your second dinner, consider le Bistrot de l'Octroi, about 5 minutes on foot north of the old town. It is good, informal and fun. Say Hi to Stefanie if you make it there.
Aug 10th, 2009, 05:40 PM

Typically, the reduced hours and closings start in mid-month in October, so it's unlikely you'll be much affected. That said, everything is at the whim of individual owners, so there's no way to tell until you arrive there.
Aug 10th, 2009, 08:06 PM

October is usually one of the nicest months in the Perigord, warm in the day,cooler at night. Have a great time.
Aug 10th, 2009, 11:49 PM

We will be in Sarlat in October, making note of your suggestions.
We will be there 7 nights haven't decided on our itinery. Would like to canoe on the river. Is it too late in the season?
Aug 11th, 2009, 05:00 AM

Regarding canoeing, it depends on how late you are in October, and what the weather is like. If it's cool and damp, many places will close down mid-late month. If it's warm and there are still lots of people around, they will stay open.

When I've phoned about early/late season opening, that's the answer I get - it depends. Basically, is it worth it for them to keep staff around.

But early October you should have no problem.
Aug 11th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone for the suggestions! I hope to move on out from here to plan the rest of our trip. I'll look forward to posting our itinerary as I go along for more comments & suggestions. This is just a great way to plan!
Thanks again-
Lucy