Search

Interlaken

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interlaken

Can anyone tell me what Interlaken is like in the Fall? Specifically mid-October. I might want to make a stop there and I was wondering if it would be worth it to go in the Fall. Im 27/M and would be traveling alone.
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 04:48 PM

It's a smallish fairly pretty town between 2 lakes (obviously) but is really more used as a jumping off point to head up into the mountains for hiking - or for touring nearby laes and towns. There isn't that much to do in the town itself.

Not sure what you're looking for. If it's hiking I wold go up to one o fthe smaller towns. If it's a center to tour from I would probably stay in Lucerne - which is larger, has a cute old town, a couple of museums, pretty wooden bridge, old town walls, a lake with a variety of boat trips and access to several mountains (but not that high - only about 7,000 ft) nearby. Also easy to travel to cute smaller towns nearby.
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 07:12 PM

I have been in Interlaken for various purposes for 8 of the last 10 years. It is ok, but if you want the mountains, Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald are better. Wengen and Mürren on the high shelves of the Lauterbrunnen are even closer.
I go to Interlaken for services and/or merchandise that are not available in Lauterbrunnen.
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 09:35 PM

I would be worried about a trip in mid-October that rain or fog or worse could obscure the magnificent views of high peaks, especially if I only had a day.

Are you looking for "cute" towns? (I don't know what that means. Sounds like something to avoid if you're at all a sophisticated traveler.) Interlaken is really a mountaineering transit hub. The nearby towns mentioned above are more scenic and have more local integrity, to which I would add Spiez. But better describe more about why you want to be in that area at that time of year.
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 03:08 AM
ira

Hi LV,

>....I might want to make a stop there....<
Why? It might not be a good idea.
What is the rest of your itinerary?

Old Aug 7th, 2009, 03:12 AM

It's very pretty but did you not say you would be at a wedding in central or southern Italy?

I remember responding to you on another post which I cannot now find.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Yes I will be at a wedding in central italy and then making my way to Milan. The end of my trip will be in Amsterdam so i am looking for places to visit in between. I am obviously an unexperienced European traveler so the more choices people can give me the better. I like trying new things and meeting new people.